Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice for light 38 special load for wife

Boolit Master
    I think my first question on this forum was about using my 148gr wadcutters in my snub. Ted answered my question... he has since passed on.

TAWILDCATT

Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:04:35

If your shooting 38 spec try 2.8 of bullseye or 700X.It is the target load for 38 Spec 148 gr.I shoot that in my 4 " bull mod 10,in compitition.or I did as I am out of it 84ys old.I also use it in S&W 52.

it would depend on how good you are as to how many to shoot.at 50 ft you should be able to cut the 10 ring out.and you really have to shoot at a paper target.that load is good to 50yds.beyond that I dont know.

TED
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
    I've loaded quite a few Lee 125 RNFP with Trail Boss for a friends wife and they are a joy to shoot. For my plinking load I load the same bullet with 3 grs of BE
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Excellent load and boolit for the ladies not accustomed to shooting much or a fun practice load for anyone.
    I load 4grs Trailboss under the Lee 105 swc for my bride and it is very easy for her who is recoil sensitive.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I load the 100 gr wad cutters 130 Tc Bullets or the Lee 148 swc over a Lee . 3 cc dipper of bullseye which weighs out to 2.6 gr. It is a mild load little recoil probably 600 fps. Makes a good wife and kid load

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite light load in 38's was 2.5 gr of Bullseye with a 148gr wadcutter. Actually all my loads are fairly light but then my present 38 is a heavy gun, 38/44 Outdoorsman S$W. I have a very light mod 16 Smith in 32 Long. With a 93gr bullet it is a ***** cat!

Boolit Master
    A second vote for the old bullseye competition load. The late gunwriter, Skeeter Skelton, pointed out the Hornady swaged wadcutter made an excellent defense round, especially if it was loaded backwards to make a soft hollowpoint with a giant hole. It's still accurate, and fairly comfortable in my wife's aluminum Taurus 85 snubby.

Boolit Master
    After I got a Ruger 3" LCRX 38 for the wife to shoot, her first response with some of my regular 38s was that they hurt.

Since then I have loaded a ton of Lee 110s. To get recoil to her liking for the little light weight Ruger, I use either 2.8 gr of promo (same as red dot) or 2.5 gr of TiteGroup.

The little Ruger is a blessing and a curse. Blessing is the fun to shoot factor. Curse is they way ammo just seems to evaporate each trip to the range.

I found that they shoot either pretty good or OK in all of my other guns I use for 38 shooting. Plenty good enough for offhand practice.

This all occurred after my primary supply of COWW dried up and a hoped for chance to harvest some range lead got rained out. With my lead running low, the number of 110s per lb is a really nice plus.

Boolit Master
    My neighbor gave his wife one of the Taurus "snubbies" and he asked me to work up a load for her so I used the Lee 125 gr RF with 3 gr of Bullseye. She loved it. I called it an "air marshal" load.

Boolit Mold
    Wife has a Ruger LCR. My go-to load of 158 gr SWC over 4.5 gr of Unique is too uncomfortable for her, so I load up a 125gr RNFP over 4.0 gr. Unique for practice stuff. I slip in the factory 158 gr JHP for her carry ammo. At self-defense ranges, the difference in point of impact will be negligible.

I use Bayou 138 grain coated wadcutters for self defense loads. They also make great target loads, the deeper a bullet seats, the less powder it uses. At least to me it seems to reduce recoil considerably. I found that Hodgdon Universal seems to be a light recoiling powder with 158 grain bullets in a snub. Just start at the lowest load on the Hodgdon charts.

You could also consider switching to a 22 LR snub, or semi auto. A SR22 or Walther P22 would likely have next to no recoil. My wife has a Hi Point CF380 she bought some years ago, 22 recoil with slightly more power. BUT it is a Hi Point, and it is heavy for a 380, she enjoys shooting it though. So far it is only a range gun, BUT it has been reliable, about 1000 rounds without any failure. Personally I would suggest the SR22, they have a good reputation when used with quality ammo.

You could also consider a CA 32 H&R, a trade off between a 22, and a 38. My wife carries a Colt Police Positive in 32-20, about the same power. It has mild recoil and is still a very capable SD cartridge. I have it loaded with 83 grain DEWC at 1100 fps using Long Shot powder 6.2 grains. That comes out to about the same kinetic energy as a standard 38 special. I would have considered a CA for her except for the 5 shot capacity. But your wife's 38 Charter is the same as the 32 Charter.
    Last edited by Walkingwolf; 12-20-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Yep, I loaded the lee 125 tumble lube bullet intended for 9mm with 2.8 grains bullseye for a light ladies training round(this is also with the proper lee 125 FP bullet considered a good cowboy action load). It worked fine when sized to .358. Sized to .356 for the 9mm and some rounds made a weak sound. Now all the women are fine with 2.8 bullseye and a plain base 148 wadcutter, including out of the alloy Colt cobras and agents. So I am done with the cowboy with the 125 grain bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful. I was working up a mouse load for .38 special for plinking and had a squib got stuck in the barrel. After that I put a wad of TP on top of the powder to keep it in contact with the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishM1Garand View Post
    Be careful. I was working up a mouse load for .38 special for plinking and had a squib got stuck in the barrel. After that I put a wad of TP on top of the powder to keep it in contact with the primer.
    I use a small piece of cotton ball, and a really good crimp. It is especially important with mild loads in magnum cases. Found out one day with the 32-20 shooting at a snake. All I got was a pop, and a stuck bullet. Ya don't need a lot, just enough to keep the powder close to the primer.

Boolit Master
    3.0/RedDot/130 TC. You might need to increase by 0.1gr., depending the revolver, for it to burn cleanly.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I have found recently that 3.2 grains Titegroup driving a sized 158 SWC or a sized Lyman 150 grain WC that projects out a bit from the case and fills the same amount of case as the SWC or RNL are both good, mild and accurate at shorter ranges. The two are very close to the same feel and point of aim remains consistent. This is min load for Titegroup and 158 grain bullet but is fully functional and noticeably lighter recoil.

I feel that Unique has more kick than Titegroup but that is not a scientific assessment, just a general feeling. I also am beginning to think that sizing helps smooth things out as far as feel goes, even if "as cast" will work fine, sized is just a touch more accurate and seems less jarring. Not blind tested and so could be just a figment of my imagination.

Just an odd outside the box thought, black powder seems to me to have a lighter recoil.... you can spend as much range time while firing less shots, and thus less abuse of the hand and joints from recoil. Weird ideas pop into my head, what can I say. Daughter noticed how mild a 44 C&B was compared to a normal round from a smokeless 45 colt even with a mild load.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

They hit a little low out of my Model 10 Smith, but a 105 Lee SWC is crazy accurate and "cat sneeze" with 2.8-3.2 gr of Win WST.

Boolit Bub
    I'm a newbie to this reloading game. But 3 grains of bullseye and a 158 grain cast bullet is quite mild and quite accurate.

Boolit Man
    WST is great for the wadcutters and even some of the cast bullets such as 158 grain. Very mild shooting and many guys I know use this powder in cold weather since it ignites easier than W231. Look at Hodgdon Website for info.

Quote Originally Posted by xringshutr View Post
    They hit a little low out of my Model 10 Smith, but a 105 Lee SWC is crazy accurate and "cat sneeze" with 2.8-3.2 gr of Win WST.
    Similar load to mine but with Reddot also use a Lyman 77 gr WC

4 grs Unique/150gr Lee swc are creampuffs in my wife's 4" K frame.

Banned

in my 15 I shoot a lot of the lee 105 swc and 2 grains of bullseye. I don't even bother sizing them. Just coat them will alox load and shoot. Not much more recoil then a 22. Very accurate in my gun to boot.