WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you had the ability, would you reload for the 17HMR?

Boolit Master
    17 CCM is the cartridge you're looking for. it was based on the .22 CCM necked down. The problem is brass availability and life-span.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is why I want something on the order of a 25 ACP rifle .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    At one time empty primed .22 magnum rimfire cases were sold to those owners of these rifles who wanted to create loads fine tuned for their rifles. If these were still available they could be necked down I suppose.

There are kits available for repriming some calibers of rimfire cartridges.

Personally I find the Mexican .177 bore rifles that use nail gun blanks to propel the bullet very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Harter 66 has my vote! I'm still collecting money to finish up my single shot 25 acp project.
    But I have reloaded 22lr just to see if I could. I say do it if you want.

Boolit Master
    They used to make some Stevens brand rifles in .250 Stevens (.25 centerfire?) cartridge a long time ago. Some others in Europe made some parlor guns in .25 ACP too. There have been people off and on rebarreling rifles for .25 ACP too as well as some longer cased magnum versions.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 11-11-2016 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo correction

I think the 5-7 FN necked down would be nigh perfect. That said I do like the the .17 HMR a lot. Very accurate and a crow buster deluxe. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Does anyone even make a mold in that size? Or should you just get some 'BB' size shot and make a really small round ball load?

EDITED:

OK, looks like I answered my own question... NOE makes a mold...

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...af5i6lq7b1t2e3

It is an exercise in frutility casting those "droplets"!

From a 1:9" barrel it maxes out at roughly 1900fps before it starts to scatter due to rpm (140000)

Banned
    I reload 22lr and will begin to reload 22WMR. My rifle range sold me empty rim fire casings for $1.20 per lb. Got many 17 HMR cases. I will never reload those things. As someone said, split cases. LOTS and LOTS of cases splitting at the shoulder and neck. Reloading rim fire requires resizing the cases (If you are serious about it) Can you imagine resizing 17hmr? First you have to make the tools. It was hard enough making tools for reloading 22lr. I make the bullets with swaging. It is the easiest way for me to make the rebated heel and hollow base. I made the tools for resizing the cases. It is still a very time consuming process. You may not even be able to imagine resizing a rim fire cartridge. How to resize the rim? It can be done but I won't try it on a necked down case. Someone who has a gun that will fire those things without cracking the cases MAY try to reload their own brass without resizing. THAT could be done, but my experience with 22lr the cases are so thin that the very maximum you can reload them is 2 times. For me, being able to buy thousands of fired cases for a buck or two is economical but if I had to reload my own cases it would not be anywhere near the cost.
    With all that said, I may use spent 17HMR cases, cut down to make 22WMR "shorts" by cutting them off at the shoulder. They will still fit the same amount of powder as a normal 22WMR.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, IF I could get various 15-25g spitzer bullets readily. Goal would be to have a flat shooting, super quiet, lightweight powder burning pest rifle. I can get 3 out of 4 but not all at once.

I still want either a 17 or 20 Velocitor, both are based on the 5-7 case. As for the 17hmr, I find I prefer it over the 22lr personally. Maybe it is just that I have gotten really really lucky with the accuracy of the guns I have had in 17hmr compared to any of the 22lr guns I have had.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER