WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Savage Axis bolt head

Boolit Master

Savage Axis bolt head

I am switching my Axis 223 left handed bolt head. To a Left handed 308 bolt head. But in my searching I can find right handed heads. But no left handed heads. Can you just flip the heads to go from one to the other.
    I have found a few shops that sell Savage replacements. I just haven't contacted any to find the information I need. Kevin

To the best of my knowledge the axis in a 223. Would be a short action bolt so you should be able to get a model 10-16 bolt face and install it. The only thing you'll need to know is the diameter of your firing pin hole as they come in two sizes.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Master
    Jr Thank you for the information.
    A couple more Q. please Is an Axis bolt head the same as a model 10-16? And is a bolt head that is listed as a right bolt head able to be fit properly on a left hand bolt?

Boolit Master
    You may want to look at changing the barrels as well.

Boolit Master
    I have a pending deal on a 308 savage barrel. That's why I need a new bolt head.

You will need a left hand bolt face. Because of the extractor position. As far as I know the 10-16 is the same as the axis let me look a little deeper to let you know for sure.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Try this midway has left handed ones available

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/177...308-winchester

This is a comparison of my axis in 308 win and my 110 in 7mm rem mag the right is the long action bolt and the left is the axis. The bolt faces look the same just the bolt head follower is different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161215_150818.jpg   20161215_150757.jpg