Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Huntmaster Rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Huntmaster Rifle.

I saw a Sporter in 270Win today at the local gunstore. It appeared to be a commercial build and was marked 'Huntmaster.'

It was on an Enfield action and I think it was an Eddystone P14 base as it has a few flaming bombs and no other obvious marks.

The floor plate is straightened out, there is chequering on the stock at the pistol grip and under the forend and it has a schnabel fore end tip from memory. It has a rear sight base, but the sight has been removed to make way for the scope.

I wonder if it is an old Model 30? Hope so, but I don't think they ever came out in 270W.

Yeah, I know, I should have taken pics!

I will return tomorrow morning and have another look.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    Hey mate can u give us anymore information on that huntmaster your talking about ??? I dunno how old this thread is but I recently just acquired one and am after some more information on it ... thanks

I saw this rifle at Gunsmoke at Bathurst (Australia) some time back (July 2013!) and started this thread. Funny thing is, a guy turned up at the range with it on Sunday.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I saw this rifle at Gunsmoke at Bathurst (Australia) some time back (July 2013!) and started this thread. Funny thing is, a guy turned up at the range with it on Sunday.
    That's an odd turn of events. How did it shoot?

If it was in 270, I believe that it was probably the US Model of 1917 instead of the P14 as the bolt face, extractor and ejector would not need modification for the 270. Those mods would be a major undertaking with the P14. The flaming bomb proofs probably also indicate a history with the US Army. Also a Model 30 would not have the rear aperture sight base still intact nor the military proofs.

I saw this rifle at Gunsmoke at Bathurst
    I visited Bathurst while on R&R from VN. Loved the place. As I recall, the pilot of the plane had to circle the airfield (perhaps it was Orange and not Bathurst) while they chased sheep off of the runway. I still have a knife that I bought at a gun store there. Perhaps it was the same place where you saw the rifle.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-12-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

It had a very cheap old Jap scope on it and he was getting about 2.5" groups with PPU soft points (his two year old son was distracting us both keeping an eye on him). He was happy with that as he plans to use it for deer and pigs.