Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum soda cans as jackets, can it be done?

Boolit Master

Aluminum soda cans as jackets, can it be done?

So, we use aluminum for checks on cast Boolits, can they be made into jackets for swaged bullets? I had a guy ask me and I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it's been brought up in the past, but my ability to use the search function isn't the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    It can probably be done. But I wouldn't. For one its quite thin and forming it would make it even thinner making it very likely to peel away from the core upon firing. Also Aluminum produces one of the hardest oxides in existence, so would likely promote barrel wear. Top it off with it not being as slippery or as ductile as copper wile being very soft and not work hardening so it would likely be prone to leaving fouling. Long story short likely can be done, but no I wouldn't do it.

Boolit Grand Master

We successfully use aluminum cans for gas checks, and a jacket is just a long gas check. The bottom of a can is thicker but might produce a jacket that has a thin side.
    There are other sources for aluminum such as flashing.
    Give it a try and report your experience.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    RCE is selling aluminum jackets. .009 thick IIRC.

Boolit Buddy
    Aluminum jacketed bullet for 25acp from RCE jackets. Low velocity of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161211_221924.jpg  

Boolit Master

I didn't find any of those aluminum jackets on his website. Did he only sell them for a short period??
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    It's not clear to me what diameter bullet jacket your questioners desired, but I'm aware of persons who swage lead wire into .40 S&W brass and somehow anchor it in place to form heavier .429" projectiles for use in .444 Marlin. Perhaps something similar could be done for the diameter they seek.

Boolit Buddy
    They are the last 3 options in the jackets section.

Boolit Buddy
    I have thought of using Blazer aluminum shells as jackets also such as 40 s&w for 44 mag.

Boolit Master

I couldn't copy the link , do a search for aluminum jacket , lot of interesting information .

Bill

Boolit Master
    Dont know about aluminium but mild steel has been in use for a long long time.. Maybe with proper surface coating it would work. Aluminium dont have any lubrication properties and expands when heated. Copper wash or powder coat might help if there is a risk for damage to the barrel. Should make a test run of aluminium jacketed bullets in high power rifle with and without of additional coating. If the aluminium would work, that would cut the manufacturing costs of bullets with big numbers..

S

Boolit Bub

If it was something of a last resort, u know like an Obama apocalypse, why not..

Boolit Master
    As of yesterday, they were on his website. Odd sizes.

Boolit Master

With 40 brass being cheap, I would rather consider brass cases rather than aluminum for jacket material. I do not think that aluminum can be worked like brass and do not like the abrasive qualities that aluminum might be prone to exhibit. I have reloaded aluminum and find them to be tricky when sizing and prone to instant hardening when stressed and often split when seating the bullet. Brass is more forgiving in my limited opinion.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Aluminium has same caracteristics as other metals, so it is possible to anneal it and make it soft.
    Should not be a big problem to test with a bit wore out barrel.
    http://https://www.tinmantech.com/ed...-annealing.php

Aluminium do have a bit bigger friction coefficent though:
    http://http://www.engineersedge.com/...f_friction.htm

That might indicate that there might be a need for additional lubrication to make it work as jacket material.

S

When I first started swaging I tried to anneal an aluminum case. Ended up with a puddle of Aluminum. I was also told to stay away from the aluminum because of the oxide.

Someone mentioned powder coating, seems silly to go through all the trouble of making a jacketed bullet and then powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    Aluminium has same caracteristics as other metals, so it is possible to anneal it and make it soft.
    Should not be a big problem to test with a bit wore out barrel.
    http://https://www.tinmantech.com/ed...-annealing.php

Aluminium do have a bit bigger friction coefficent though:
    http://http://www.engineersedge.com/...f_friction.htm

That might indicate that there might be a need for additional lubrication to make it work as jacket material.

S
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Some also think that it is silly to swage bullets when they are readily available in stores, but still some do it with joy as it is they hobby-

S

Banned

maybe a coat of Hi-Tek would help.
    I notice RCE recommends low velocity's for the aluminum jackets.

Boolit Master

if thinness is an issue.. what about all of those .224 made from 22lr cases. that stuff ain't thick...

Ahhh, but three or four years ago when no one could get jacketed bullets I was able to make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    Some also think that it is silly to swage bullets when they are readily available in stores, but still some do it with joy as it is they hobby-

S
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.