WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Traded for a vintage Marlin

Boolit Buddy

Traded for a vintage Marlin

I swapped a 30-06 I had no plans for to a guy I work with for a 1971 336 saddle ring carbine. Its in ok shape, I am gonna refinish the furniture on it, and give it a thorough cleaning tomorrow. Has anyone here used a "Skinner " sight on one of these? Id like an aperture sight when I pull of the scope mount without drilling anymore holes, has anybody tried one?
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Grand Master
    I put a "Skinner " on a buddy's Marlin and I was impressed. Costly but worth it.

Banned

One that age should have two holes drilled in the side of the receiver to take the standard Lyman and Williams receiver sights. Not sure when the stopped doing that, now most peeps seem to attach with the scope mount holes.

No experience with the Skinners, I do have a set of XS Ghost ring and post sights, which seem similar, on my primary muzzle loader and have hunted with it a lot. Very good, strong (did I mention strong?) sight. Better in low light than any other iron sights you'll likely ever use.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Skinner on my 1894 44 mag. I like it a lot and I was super impressed with their service
    Nice guy and good sight.

When installing a Skinner, like any other top-mounted peep sight, a front sight blade taller (approx. .10" taller) than the issue blade will be needed to zero the rifle, due to the new line-of-sight that's higher than the issue line-of-sight.

When a receiver sight in s installed, best practice for a clean sight picture through the peepsight in the remove the rear barrel open sight & replace it with a dovetail slot filler blank, commercial (Williams, Lyman, Marbles) or one filed up from the male dovetail portion of just about any old scroungebox rear barrel longleaf open sight.

The Skinner is a quality sight. The one I have on my 1894 mounts to the rear scope mount holes and "yes" you will need a taller front sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    One that age should have two holes drilled in the side of the receiver to take the standard Lyman and Williams receiver sights. Not sure when the stopped doing that, now most peeps seem to attach with the scope mount holes.

No experience with the Skinners, I do have a set of XS Ghost ring and post sights, which seem similar, on my primary muzzle loader and have hunted with it a lot. Very good, strong (did I mention strong?) sight. Better in low light than any other iron sights you'll likely ever use.
    And if you find a used one without the screws Lyman sells those separately. Expensive, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Sight Options

Do you plan on shooting at different ranges and with different loads? If so, you may want an aperture sight that is more flexible in elevation and windage settings than the Skinner.

If your 1971 Marlin has two little screw holes on the left of the action in front of the hammer, then it is drilled and tapped for a Lyman, Redfield or Williams aperture sight. I've always used either the older Redfield or Lyman aperture sights on my lever guns. One can refine his zero to the Nth degree with them as well as adjust to various ranges, boolit weights or charges and then return to his base zero at will.

I'm an inveterate experimenter with loads and I'd be in a pickle without the flexibility of these sights. For light squirrel loads to heavy big game loads and everything in between you're good to go.

Here is a Lyman on a Marlin and a Redfield on a Winchester. The device on the Winchester is a Merit variable aperture disk that opens or closes like an old camera iris. It goes from fully open for fast or low light shooting or you can dial it down for target shooting or use on bright sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redfield Aperture 2.jpg   Sight Lyman 66-640-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Nearly all my levers have Skinners. If they have a peep sight, it is a Skinner. Love them. Great company, great product and great service.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah after looking at everything I think Ill try the Skinner sight. My load never changes 180 gr cast boolit over 16gr of 2400. I like to shoot targets from 50 to 100 yards and the coyotes too close to my critters. Sounds like this company makes a good product, Ill give it a go.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...