RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: print shop equipment available

Boolit Bub

print shop equipment available

I just bought out the last of a old print shop's remaining 'lead' The owner still has a typesetting linotype machine, a table saw trimming device, a Hammond Easy Kaster (huge melting furnace), and about 8-10 'pig' molds. These items were all serviceable about 10 years ago. If this iron doesn't find a new home, it's going to the SCRAP DEALER!!

Does anyone know any body who would be interested in it or perhaps a forum for this type of equipment. I'm just trying to find a way to get this out to the most interested group of people.

Thanks, Steve

Try sending a PM to Banger on this site. He knows a fair amount about the old printing world.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned

Banger Jim would be his handle, but he hasn't been around for a bit.

Boolit Master

I purchased 1000 pounds of Linotype from a print shop that had closed due to the owner passing.

The sellers, his family, tossed in three Linotype ingot 'Pig" molds in the 20 pound+ size, as part of the deal and to offset my travel costs.

I kept two for casting up large ingots of COWW lead for storage. (I mark them well so that no one will ever mistake it for Linotype!) In any event, I sold the other one on this site for between 80 and 100 dollars a few years back. They are tough and will last forever. They make large ingots that store lots of scrap lead easily. Only five pours will empty my 100+ pound pot.

You might buy them and sell them off here at a good, but fair profit?

DC-1
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Boolit Bub

Defcon-One, I checked on shipping the pigs in one piece, UPS and USPS would run about $50-$100. If someone wants to do a FTF or pay the freight, I would try to get a price on them. Personally, I'm trying to cut down on my investment in lead/casting, so I hesitate to buy them for resale--the lino, I couldn't pass up. Steve

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Might want to do a hardness test on the lino. Early this year bought 100# from a printer and it tested at Bhn 15.4
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub

John-I have a cabinetree tester and all the lino and spacers from this source tests at bhn 22. I got about 190 lbs of mono and foundry but haven't tested it yet. Steve