RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 257420 boat tail, hollow point from an Airforce Condor.

257420 boat tail, hollow point from an Airforce Condor.

I've been tinkering with an airforce condor. R&L built it, put a super seer on it so the trigger pull is very nice. The valve from Doug Noble really kicks up the power.

40:1 mix, 69 grains cast as a hollow point. Arsenal molds, hollow pointed by Erik Ohlen. 1050 ft/sec impacted at 50 yards into milk jugs, blew up first jug and captured in third jug. I'm liking this boolit, and this air rifle. I'm thinking squirrel, turkey and coyote

Looks nice, and great expansion.... glad it's working out for you....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pps View Post
    I've been tinkering with an airforce condor. R&L built it, put a super seer on it so the trigger pull is very nice. The valve from Doug Noble really kicks up the power.

40:1 mix, 69 grains cast as a hollow point. Arsenal molds, hollow pointed by Erik Ohlen. 1050 ft/sec impacted at 50 yards into milk jugs, blew up first jug and captured in third jug. I'm liking this boolit, and this air rifle. I'm thinking squirrel, turkey and coyote

Should work well for your hunts. Marvin

Boolit Master
    Great looking bullet Marvin! You know the smaller diam on the back of that boolit is really for a gas check but if it works, go for it. I like that boolit in my .256 Winchester. A hollow point ought to really make that thing scream! From the looks of things, that thing is about perfect in your gun. Good work!

Actually, you can buy moulds for both the original 257420 gas check version, and with a tapered boattail (for airgun use), from Arsenal Moulds.... http://arsenalmolds.com/products?limit=99999999999

Bob

Boolit Master
    Wow! I had no idea. How accurate is it?

Boolit Grand Master

Very slick looking boolit and seems to give good performance.

What would you max range for hunting be with that gun and boolit?

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Great looking bullet Marvin! You know the smaller diam on the back of that boolit is really for a gas check but if it works, go for it. I like that boolit in my .256 Winchester. A hollow point ought to really make that thing scream! From the looks of things, that thing is about perfect in your gun. Good work!
    That's not my bullet or my thread . Marvin

Boolit Master
    Pardon me Marvin. I see the honors go to pps.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Is this a 22 cal bullet?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

It is .257 cal, fits PB barrels with a 14" twist.... It's a bit too large for .25 cal pellet barrels, but could possibly be sized down to work.... However, because of the weight, you really should have a PCP capable of 140 FPE or so, which leaves most .25 cals out anyway....

Bob

Boolit Master
    No, It's a clone of what started out to be a Lyman/Ideal (maybe) mould and it's a .25 caliber. The pellet gun version must be a tad smaller like .252-.255 I would imagine to fit an air rifle's smaller bore. I know it doesn't work the other way around. Firing a .25 caliber pellet in a rifle chambered for a .257 Roberts and using a primer only for propellant makes for a totally inaccurate combination and sometimes blows the pellet to pieces before it even gets out of the barrel.

Boolit Master

NOE is also making a line of air rifle molds: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...sjekg53qh7t0h4

Next year I'd like to save up and get a nice PCP air rifle that I can cast for...

With all due respect, most guys that use the 257420 have the proper barrel for it, which is very often the .25-20 liner from TJ's with a 14" twist.... The original Lyman was developed for that gun, and the bullets drop at 0.258" from the one I have.... I don't know about the OP, he may be using the original LW barrel supplied by AirForce (0.254" and choked to smaller than that), or it may have been replaced during the tuning process with a proper .257 barrel with a faster twist, suitable for the longer heavier bullets.... The latter is by far the most common approach so that there are a variety of bullets available.... Aresenal started making moulds for the 257420 a while back, and at my suggestion (through a 3rd party) they made a boattail version available as well.... I am not aware of any option to purchase either version in a smaller diameter....

Bob

It's a TJ's barrel. I keep the power turned down enough to keep the MV at about 1050fps. I firelapped the barrel, and the groups at 100 have shrunken down to about .75" The NOE 87 grain flat nose bullet, even with the 1:16 also holds a group less than 1" at 100 yards. I've used NOE'S .257 sizing die for the initial rounds put through the gun, but the .75" groups are with the boolits sized to .258

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161030_084119-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	181910

This is the 87 grain noe. 6" penetration into wet news print with some expansion, even though it wasn't hollow pointed.

I'm actually shocked that this bullet stabilizes.

That's wonderful accuracy.... it's nice to see more and more guys getting under 1 MOA with airguns at 100 yards with boolits.... Don't be afraid to try slightly under bore size in airguns.... The chap who won the EBR this years sizes his boolits nearly 1 thou under the groove diameter....

Bob

Boolit Master
    Groups like that would take home all the prises at the Winnemucca cast bullet shoot! You ought to bring that thing along!

Boolit Mold
    PPS,
    I recently bought the arsenal mold in fact received it yesterday, I like the looks and so far accuracy of these bullets. Thanks for bringing this mold to my attention. Im shooting a similar condor except I haven't done anything to the valve or hammer yet, just the rl barrel 700mm but still getting them to 100 yards with nice groups of about 1.5 inches I haven't lapped the barrel yet either so there is room for improvement. Thanks again for bringing this mold out in the spotlight.