RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Need a recipe for MinceMeat Pie.

Boolit Master

Need a recipe for MinceMeat Pie.

Would any one have a recipe for a Mincemeat Pie? I have a old timer friend that loved them as a kid. I would like to make him one. I know nothing about mincemeat pies. Will have to be store bought mincemeat. So who has a recipe you recommend?

Thanks,

1911sw45
    Adam

Boolit Master

Alton Brown is my usual go-to for such things, I know he did a show that had mincemeat pie in it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an early Joy of Cooking that has Mincemeat, but it makes commercial size lots!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Try Crazy for Crust ...I'd bet there is something there.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

This will make 1 large pie or 24 small pies.
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    500g (1lbish) lean beef mince
    1½ Tbsp Edmonds standard flour
    ½ cup beef stock
    2 Tbsp tomato purée
    salt and pepper
    400g Rough Puff or Shortcrust Pastry or
    2 sheets savoury short pastry and 2 sheets flaky puff pastry
    1 egg yolk
    1 Tbsp water

1. Put the oil, onion and garlic into a frying pan and cook gently, stirring until the onion is golden – about 15 minutes. Don’t rush it or the onion will be crunchy rather than sweet and melting.

2. Add the beef mince. Increase the heat and cook quickly until the meat is browned and crumbly. Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
    3. Gradually add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Add the tomato purée and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then setaside to cool.
    4. Preheat the oven to 200°C(390f).
    5. Cut the pastry in half and on a lightly floured board roll out one half, or use the ready-rolled sheets of short pastry. Line a 22cm pie dish or cut out 18 circles with a 7cm cutter and line patty tins.
    6. Wet the edges of the pastry and then spoon in the meat filling.
    7. Roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of a large pie, or cut out circles with a 6cm cutter from the ready-rolled flaky puff pastry for the small pies.
    8. Carefully place the pastry over the filling and press the edges together to seal. Finish with any pastry trimmings rolled out and cut into decorative shapes.
    9. Combine the egg yolk and water and brush over the tops of the pies. Make two slits in the top of a large pie or one in each of the small pies.
    10. Bake for 25 minutes for a large pie and about 15 minutes for the small pies, until the pastry is a dark golden brown.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Perma-Banned
    the best mince-meat pie recipe on the planet :

1. throw mince-meat in the garbage where it belongs.

2. buy or bake a nice pumpkin or apple or coconut custard pie.

Boolit Master
    The Sweet Mince Pies we eat over here are traditional at Christmas.Usualy Suet,Apple,Raisins,Lemon and orange Peel and zest,Brown Sugar.Nice Hot with Brandy Butter.Recently I have been carefully lifting the Pie Lid and inserting a slice of Stilton or Blue vein Cheese and heating in the oven.A combination of both sweet and savoury flavours.A nice Glass of Scotch Whiskey and a Western on the Telly is relaxation deluxe.Recently watched "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" for the umpteenth time,a John Ford Classic,with realistic Native American scenes and cast.
    Last edited by Col4570; 11-29-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: more content

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    The Sweet Mince Pies we eat over here are traditional at Christmas.Usualy Suet,Apple,Raisins,Lemon and orange Peel and zest,Brown Sugar.Nice Hot with Brandy Butter.Recently I have been carefully lifting the Pie Lid and inserting a slice of Stilton or Blue vein Cheese and heating in the oven.A combination of both sweet and savoury flavours.A nice Glass of Scotch Whiskey and a Western on the Telly is relaxation deluxe.Recently watched "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" for the umpteenth time,a John Ford Classic,with realistic Native American scenes and cast.
    This is the kind my Mom made when I was growing up, never could understand when other people would tell me it had meat in it and didn't like it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    the best mince-meat pie recipe on the planet :

1. throw mince-meat in the garbage where it belongs.

2. buy or bake a nice pumpkin or apple or coconut custard pie.
    bubba I'll second that. I love pies most anyway. Peach, sour cherry, black berry, and strawberry rhubarb are all some I like. But just something about mince-meat, just never was that hungry.

Boolit Master
    Since you are using store bought mincemeat, get two boxes of the None-Such condensed mincemeat, reconstitute according to the directions on the box, make up enough crust for a 9-inch double crust pie, assemble and bake.

I have had better luck finding the mincemeat at Albertsons rather than at Kroger (King Soopers around here). If you find that you like it stock up on the mincemeat since it is usually found from Thanksgiving until Christmas.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Moderator Emeritus

Mince meat is one of my favorite pies and made much as described by Col4570 above other than I have never tried a cheese insert. I am one that cannot stand the flavor, texture or spices used in pumpkin pie and love it when there is an alternative.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze