RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: blackhorn 209 powder, sabots and cleaning between shots

Perm-Banned

blackhorn 209 powder, sabots and cleaning between shots

today is a warm no wind day. took out my 50 cal 1/23 twist sidelock to my range west of the house. i loaded a 1.25 long swaged bullet reduced to .454 diam into orange mmp sabots. the .458 was too tight and .454 is just right. with 70 grains of black horn 209 by volume behind the bullet the groups were not as they should be. so i went back to the house and got a bunch of cleaning patches and the spray bottle of my water mix barrel cleaner. i then wiped twice down the barrel between shots and as was expected the shots from then on was very very tight both at 50 yards and 100 yards. thats all it took was wiping between rounds even with the 209 powder. most likely it is not needed with a patched round ball but with my sabots and paperpatched bullets it is, contrary to what i have posted before. i like hole touching holes accuracy and i have to wipe to get it. someone will say why the .454 diam bullet in a sabot that supposed to hold a .458 bullet. the sabots were way too tight going down the barrel with a .458 bullet in them and with the lee .454 reducing die they now go down just as they should and shoot perfectly. to sum it up, if your going to shoot a muzzleloader, best to wipe between rounds.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I'm one of those "fouled barrel" guys. I have found that most of my guns differ an average of 1-1/2 high at 100 yards on clean bore as opposed to fouled. Either groups, just different POI. I have been using graphite powder (lock ease or similar) instead of my usual pop 2 caps, for fouled bore. Just a moist patch, and quick in and out swab, either before, or after loading, and poi stays same as fouled. The graphite is non corrosive, so If weather permits, I'll leave a load for a week or so, no worries.

Perm-Banned
    squeeze, can you give more details on the graphite powder and how you use it, as im interested.

Boolit Master
    Roger in all other ML rifles, that I have shot black powder in, or other powders, swabbing between shots was needed. The two Omegas I have, show no difference when swabbed, but they are hunting rifles, not target grade.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41LcDCU06wL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	1004 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	181266just squirt it on a patch, it shows black. Its basically just graphite powder in a liquid. (I think just water and alcohol) just enough to show, not too wet. I just once down to the breech, then out wait a minute or so to dry, then load. I have also tried after the load, and cannot tell any difference in several guns. I have seen it on other forums, and have yet to see a negative review. Its worked to mimic a fouled bore POI in every gun ive seen it tried in, and its not caustic as primer residue can be, so for a hunting load, theres no worries about leaving the load as long as weather, or your style permits.

Perm-Banned
    thanks

Banned
    Shouldn't have to swab between shots with BH209. Sounds more like the typical issue with finding the right size sabot. Do you have a sizer to size to the more common .451?

Perm-Banned
    i size all my bullets for my sabots. i can shoot well with out wiping but if im doing bench shooting and target shooting i like 1 hole clusters for groups. my side lock target rifle is too heavy to hold to the shoulder. you can see it on my site called pineridgeblackpowder.com. it is ment for a heavy paperpatched bullet but i like shooting sabots in it as i save on lead when casting. i also reshape the cast bullet in my swaging dies.

Amateurs.

How come I can shoot 75 and more shots one, after another, and not clean my rifle, go back the next day and shoot another 75 shots, I do wipe the pan to keep the flash hole clean, and the pan cover shut.

Rocks for ignition, real holy black powder, home made lead round balls, a swatch of cloth, and a freakin flint lock. Yet I dont have any of those problems listed.

Season your barrel, use the proper NON petroleum products to clean and lube, and you too can shoot flawlessly.

Here is a hint....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31007217.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	181389
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Perm-Banned
    your in a good mood today. we all got our knuckles rapped with a ruler. did you see anything about a patched round ball in the above posts. have a glass of wine and chill out, we all know you are better than the rest of us.

Banned
    He has the nerve to call you an amateur and then says " season your bore " !!! WAUGH! Now that thar is what you can an amateur!