WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: wich bench???

wich bench???

I have about a month to go until I get moved into the new place, I built my own bench a few years ago works great but i only had a 550b, 650, lyman 450, and a rcbs special 5 that I would bolt on when needed. I have since gotten another 650 and star luber, lyman t-mag, and few more item I would like to mount to a bench the old doesnt have room. I can make another bench like the first or maybe get one of the maple work benchs from sams club. My only concern is the sams club bench is not as deep and wondering if it will cause probles when running my presses, will it try to lift up the back legs??? Take a look at the pics let me know what you guys think.

here is my bench

here is a link to the sams club bench
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=329601
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Boolit Master

Great bench you have there. I must have had the same plans as you because I built three of them at my old house (two didn't have the shelf unit on top). When I moved I knew I didn't have as much room, so I couldn't bring the benches. I bought a Craftsman bench similar to the Sam's model, but even though it's heavy enough with stuff on the shelf below, I wasn't confident that the top would stay attached to the metal bottom, plus it didn't have enough room for everything I wanted to use. In the end I built a sort of hybrid of yours with castors so that I could mount presses, sizers, etc all the way around and move the table as necessary for work or storage.

If you've got the space, I'd recommend you build a duplicate of your first bench.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I've never been one for "open air" storage of powder or primers.

To make life a little simpler I aqiured a used, non working, double door refrigerator, one side hold primers the other powder. It does not have latches so no fears there and the magnetic strips keep it closed and cool inside.

I did builds shelves to hold things like dies, brass and boolits.

For my press's I opted for some machine stands bought from Harbor Freight. I then added a 1/4' plate 22x22 for a top and drilled and tapped the approiate hole pattern for the press I needed to mount.

I have two of these tables and when not in use they stay against the one side of the garage/shop wall out of the way.

So far very mobile, if I grunt hard, and no issues with tipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    The bench is all done in my reloading room.
    I got to run to Lowes and pick up a couple of 2 X 8's to run across the bottom to store ammo crates on and as ballast for the bench.

Not bad looking wood.

I ended up using 2 X 10's and notching them to give me a wider storage area.

It's hard to see but under the bench I stored 8 ammo crates of 7.62 and it holds the bench down rock hard. Sorry about the the pic with wifey in it. You can see ARGENTINE 7.62 written on the box under the Hornady data book. Also why not use your lead ingots under your bench HW? The lower you have your shelf on the bottom the lesser it will want to move on you.

Last edited by Just Duke; 08-09-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I think Duke has the right of it. The Sam's Club bench is plenty strong enough. You just need to add some bullets and such on a shelf you build in yourself underneath it. Based on the bench you've already built, that'll be an easy task for you to complete.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

I bought one of those small light portable benches and never had any issues with it tipping or anything like that so I can't see you having any issues with the bench from Sams club.
    Aim small, miss small!

Forgot to say mine is the Sams Club Bench. Less than $200.00 with tax.

In Remebrance

Why not get a few straps and bolt it into the wall ?

Boolit Master

Second the motion to bolt a bench to the wall. I bolt a horizontal 2x4 to the studs and attach the bench top to this with angle brackets that pull the bench top down and into the wall. Add some storage weight to the lower shelves and you have a very firm work surface.

Mark

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Duke Nukem, I would Like to say that you have one very beautiful wife and your reloading bench is in the nice class, just kidding. When do you find time to reload? You do know that the two things on top with all the holes and held in place by the two pins come out to allow one to change calibers. You don't have to buy another press!! ALL Bs aside I don't think I have ever seen a better loading room. Many accolades to you; now what was this thread about?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Duke Nukem, I would Like to say that you have one very beautiful wife and your reloading bench is in the nice class, just kidding. When do you find time to reload? You do know that the two things on top with all the holes and held in place by the two pins come out to allow one to change calibers. You don't have to buy another press!! ALL Bs aside I don't think I have ever seen a better loading room. Many accolades to you; now what was this thread about?
    Well thanks sir but I was under the impression that all women/wives are beautiful.
    As for the bench; the bench was my attempt to mimic the great reloading setups I saw here on the forum. Set aside the bezillion rounds of NATO ammo I reloaded for on a single stage prior to submitting my membership on this fine forum.
    So you can thanks my peers here whose shoulders I stand on.
    I rented my condo out and bought a big house so I could have a bigger loading room. Pics to follow.

Two pins? Oh? Is that what there for?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-14-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Boolit Bub
    duke, how does that rex powder work for you. nice set up on your current bench.
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dukers65 View Post
    duke, how does that rex powder work for you. nice set up on your current bench.
    dan
    thanks duker.
    I will let you know when I use it.