Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Classic Turret press

Boolit Master

Well, you nailed the two big Dillon hickeys right there. I've had to tune and retune my RL450 priming system (files, lube, cuss words), but they work well now, as long as I watch carefully, which is not bad practice when loading anyway.

The Redding powder measure also works well. It's hand-thrown, but accurate. I don't have time-motion numbers, but my impression is that overall production rates did not suffer very much, because of fewer stoppages and goofs.

Mark

It occurred to me to mention that I've installed a mini spot lamp that illuminates the mouth of the just-charged case. I visually confirm the powder charge before putting the slug in place.
    Last edited by Nueces; 08-18-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: 'nother idea

Boolit Grand Master

My Dillon 550B's (I have two) have been utterly reliable in every regard. I have loaded tens of thousands of various calibers, both rifle and pistol, without problems.

My Dillon's powder measure is SPOT ON with 231, 5066, Bullseye, Unique, and H110 (incl WC 820). I mostly use ball powders, even in rifle, as they measure so well.

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    it is a vaery good press at a reasonable price.add to that how easily and
    and how inexpensive the turrets are,you begin to understand its' popularity. dan

Boolit Bub

Smile

Well. I to must express my joy with the Classic Turret. I have been using two Loadmasters for a few years now and yes sometimes I want to pull my hair out.
    I bought the Classic turret because LEE doesn't make a shell plate for the 475 Linebaugh. Besides, I just needed an excuse to buy one. I was so pleased with it that I purchased an extra die head and started loading 32-20's with it. Same great results. O.k, how about the 38-40. Great also. I then switched my 10mm auto dies to it and am haveing of course great results.
    If not for the speed of the Loadmaster when it is working properly, I would change all of my dies calibers to the Turret. I load about 10 different handgun calibers on a regular basis. I would highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a great tool. I can load 200 rounds an hour.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to agree with Dale53. I've had a Dillon 550 for years, loaded many thousands of rounds each year with no problems. My Dillon powder measure is as accurate as, my RCBS uniflow or the old Lyman 55 I used to have.

I love my LEE Classic Cast Turret Press!

W/ a Pro Disk Powder measure & primer feed you can really turn out the ammo!

I have 3 turrets set up now, one for .45 acp/AutoRim, one for .38/357, and one for .44 Special/.44Mag

I use the LEE 4-dies sets. The LEE carbide crimp die is not used though for .45acp, for that I finish up w/ a LEE Taper Crimp die.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish I would have bought one long before I did. I really think that they are well built and a great value.

Banned

Bought 10 turrets on sale last year at Midway for less than $5 a piece.

That's enough and a lot of set ups.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I read all the good stuff about these so I went and sold my Lyman T-Mag and bought one. Man am I ever sorry I did............... NOT !! The hype about these is all true, I couldn't be more pleased. I mounted my Lyman 55 measure on the powder-thru die for now, until my Lee Pro Auto measure gets here and it works well, loaded a batch of .45 ACP last night and it was just amazing how fast and flawlessly this works.

Boolit Master

Every once in a whle I have to click my turret but aside from that, for the price, it is GREAT!
    I had some Lyman stuff for a while, now I am all Lee.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bought 10 turrets on sale last year at Midway for less than $5 a piece.
    Pat - nice score. I missed that one.

I do all my rifle reloads with the Lee and:
    One thing I don't like about the Lee 3 or 4 holers ... the die plate moves up when the shell goes in any of the dies. I reload to specific COAL's. But the issue has been resolved ... put a C-clamp on the the turret to hold it to the press.

Pistol calibers - Dillon 550B ... IS THE PRESS!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

John Boy;
    I don't understand your problem. The die plate moves against the top of the press and it is consistent in it's movement. That is one of the GREAT things about the Lee Classic Turret. Other turret presses tend to "tilt" when pressure is applied while the Lee Turret moves up against the precision machined surface of the inside top of the press for absolutely consistent and well aligned cartridges.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    John Boy;
    I don't understand your problem. The die plate moves against the top of the press and it is consistent in it's movement. That is one of the GREAT things about the Lee Classic Turret. Other turret presses tend to "tilt" when pressure is applied while the Lee Turret moves up against the precision machined surface of the inside top of the press for absolutely consistent and well aligned cartridges.

Dale53
    Me neither, it's very consistant and straight up and more importantly square.

Boolit Buddy
    Just took the plunge on a Lee Turret. I really like the press. My only complaint is I have so many sets of RCBS dies and the lock rings are too big and you cannot place two dies side by side without replacing the lock rings with Lee lock rings. Small price to pay I suppose for a well thought out turret press.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use RCBS dies in my Lee. I just remove the lock ring set screw.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

The "new" Dillon small lock rings (1" across the flats) are available for $1.05 each and a bag of those will solve the lock ring problem for both the Lee Classic Turret and the Dillon 550B. I got enough to change all of my die sets. Dillon also makes an inexpensive wrench to fit them. They leave enough room between the dies to make adjustments MUCH easier than the stock lock rings.

FWIW
    Dale53