MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: CB and the PTR-91

CB and the PTR-91

Just thought I'd drop a line and give my 2 cents on cast boolits in the PTR-91 rifle.

Spoiler alert: They work great!!!!

My pet load: 180 grain Lee round nose gas check, 2.5cc IMR SR4759. The pressure from the fast burning powder in the reasonably sized case of the 308 operates the delayed blowback perfectly. Over a hundred rounds down the barrel and not a malfunction of any sort. Not great accuracy but i may need to adjust the sights.

For your consideration.

Banned
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a PTR 91 and want to shoot cast in it. What Lee mold # are you using?

What OAL are you using? I want to make sure that my bullets don't engage the rifling too much and stick.

Thanks for your time.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I ran the lyman 200gr .311 thru my CETME. I was concerned it might not cycle. But it ran them like it was made to, even keeps the brass in the same county. That was just a lubed bullet using lyman data. Been meaning to try some PC coated at higher velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a PTR 91 and want to shoot cast in it. What Lee mold # are you using?

What OAL are you using? I want to make sure that my bullets don't engage the rifling too much and stick.

Thanks for your time.

Steve in N CA
    C309180R
    I shot all mine up. When I load some more I'll check the OAL and get back to you.

Banned
    Thank you very much.

Boolit Master

Are the chambers in the PT-91 fluted like in the HK versions? I know the fluting doesn't prevent you from loading it again, but I didn't like the ridges it produced in the brass.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Pretty sure they are fluted. Shot next to a guy that had one in 7.62x39 the cases had the flute marks on em.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    It depends on the fluting. The HK fluting does leave ridges on brass, my CETME doesnt. Still has the lines on the case, just cant feel them like one from an HK chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    Are the chambers in the PT-91 fluted like in the HK versions? I know the fluting doesn't prevent you from loading it again, but I didn't like the ridges it produced in the brass.
    Yes they are fluted but if you tumble the powder marks off the cases you barely notice the ridges.

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post

Thanks for your time.

Steve in N CA

Approximately 2.7 inches COAL (2.65-2.75) seating them out a little farther would probably aid accuracy but I'm lazy and just enjoying pulling triggers, I don't realy go in for precision with my semi autos, let alone with cast boolits.

Boolit Mold
    I use a .312 160g cast boolet sized to .310 in my various aks. I just recently picked up a ptr myself. I'm hoping I can use the same mold for the ptr. Has anyone ran a 160g boolit through the ptr or other hk clones? I'm going to be using imr 4895, looking for a light load for plinking within 100 yards that will cycle the action but hopefully will keep the brass in my zip code.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the lyman 311413 over 20 grains of surplus 4895. shoots accurately and cycles fine.

Banned
    Thanks for the info!

I have several 30 cal molds to choose from. I usually experiment with the OAL by making up dummy rounds and chambering them. But my rifle is still on a 10 day hold for DROS and I was trying to get ahead of the game.

I will run several loads thru it with 3 or 4 different bullets and report back once I get it home.

Steve in N CA

Geez, brings back memories - HK 91 with RCBS 180 SPFN over 3031 powder - shot at 100 yards as good as the FMJ surplus j-words I had used up until then.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Gastroker View Post
    I use a .312 160g cast boolet sized to .310 in my various aks. I just recently picked up a ptr myself. I'm hoping I can use the same mold for the ptr. Has anyone ran a 160g boolit through the ptr or other hk clones? I'm going to be using imr 4895, looking for a light load for plinking within 100 yards that will cycle the action but hopefully will keep the brass in my zip code.
    keep us posted on your progress. I'm almost out of 4759 and am looking for an alternative readily available powder.