Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case capacity differences between Starline and Winchester 45 Colt brass?

Banned

Primers are no indication of pressure. Stuck brass IS. But there will be max loads to do it. Unique and other fast powders SPIKE all of a sudden. You fool with fast powders and brass gets important. I shoot the .45 and .44 with 7 gr of Unique. Keep adding it and also 2400 to spike should teach something. Work loads with the brass you have.

Boolit Master
    Why don't you just measure your brass and find out? You have a scale right? I imagine different lots of brass have different properties and considering 45 Colt brass has been manufactured for over 100 years one persons observations might not apply or could be totally opposite of yours.

I've never loaded 45 Colt, but the large case capacity should have very little effect on any SAAMI spec load. My Lyman manual has no powders close to H110 listed for 45 Colt if that's the powder you were planning on using.

Boolit Buddy
    ok i"m bored.WW 108.5 starline 106 Grains

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckboss View Post
    ok i"m bored.WW 108.5 starline 106 Grains
    I believe this obligates me to buy you and yours supper at Lindey's, the best steak house in Seeley Lake, the next time you're here?
    Last edited by Naphtali; 11-03-2016 at 03:38 AM.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

In Remembrance

Confounding the post above to the contrary, all MY nickle brass is plated inside AND out.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Confounding the post above to the contrary, all MY nickle brass is plated inside AND out.
    As has been every piece I have ever seen. It isn't thick enough to amount to much, but it's there.

Boolit Master

It's been a while since I was in Seeley Lake. Lindy's must be the only steak house there - Unless things have gotten a lot better in Seeley Lake. I hope it's a good'un
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    The H2O capacity of my fired Starline brass is an average of 43.4grs, while my W-W brass averages 44.1grs.
    A fool with a tool, is still a fool!
    Its the Injun, not the arrow!

Boolit Master
    Case capacity with max charges of h110 is important, period. In 357 magnum,( no experience with 45 colt, sorry.) different brass has different case capacity. The powder charge from min to max is very small. Pressure signs are almost always noticed by me. Just my two cents. I load for a ruger 77/357, security six, blackhawk, and a coonan.the coonan and the rifle seem to show the sings of pressure more quickly due to no cylinder gap. If it were me, I would measure the capacity before making a decision on what the max load was going to be. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    The new Win case and the new Starline I weighed showed the Win case slightly heavier.
    The .7 gr of H2O difference actually amounts to very, very little difference in powder charge.
    Again if one is using a charge in the greater capacity case that when it is used in the slightly lesser capacity case and it give alarming pressure differences then the load in the slightly greater capacity cases is TO HIGH.
    P-E-R-I-O-D..