RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Returned from Front Sight and I am vicious!

Vendor Sponsor

Returned from Front Sight and I am vicious!

Did my 4 day Defensive Handgun Course at Front Sight Nevada starting last Monday and finishing Thursday. Had a great time and I recommend it to anyone who truly wants to shoot a pistol better.

Shot my Glock 21SF for the last 3 days of the class, as I had no luck hitting anything twice with my G35 with the red dot on it. Need more practice with that one.

This time I was able to achieve my goal of shooting well enough to become a "Distinguished Graduate" of the course. This opens the door to many other advanced classes which I intend to attend. I might add that this is NOT that easy to do! It took me 7 times to get there!!!

Next is to accomplish the same thing with the Rifle.

This required a score of less than -12 to accomplish, and I shot -3 which amounted to one shot just outside the chest cavity out of 25 shots fired at 3,5,7,10,and 15 yards under time pressure. There were 9 head shots, 7 of which were fired from the holster at 5 and 7 yards. 2 were called "Failure to Stop" shots and are fired with no time pressure after the Controlled Pair is fired and the guy keeps coming.

The -3 was a shot just outside the Chest (See Pic below) or Head Box, but still inside the Gray Outline. -5 for outside the gray, as that is considered a complete miss.

Times for these shots start at 1.5 seconds at 3 yards, 1.7 at 5, 1.9 at 7, 2.1 at 10 and 2.9 at 15 yards for a "Controlled Pair" from the holster to the Chest or a Designated Head Shot. IE; two shots fired to the chest or one to the head.

That means you have to clear your concealment garment, draw your gun, aim, and fire twice in that allotted time,,, or you get dinged -3 for being late.

This is the 7th pistol class I have attended, and I finally got the Brass Ring.

Last year I shot -13, and missed it by 1 point!

This was a pretty big deal for me, and I shot really good the whole week. Quite Swelled up like a Toad all the way home.

Any way that's what I did on my Vacation.

Randy

OH,,,Lines are IN!
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-29-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Congratulations! Which Rifle are you going to use?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I'm curious as to the total number of rounds you got to shoot.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master
    Good Job Randy

I did it two years ago and managed to nail it on my first try. It is a great course.

Four-sixty, IIRC, it was a bit over 600 rounds

Don Verna.

Boolit Master

That is awesome Randy! You 'done good' and enjoyed the process too, doesn't get any better!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Congrats Randy!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I did the four day defensive handgun course at Front Sight 2 years ago. Brought my own Norinco 1911. Should have seen the red tape for that to happen. BATFE was awesome to deal with. My daughter went with me. She shot the entire course of fire with 0 deductions for accuracy, losing a few points for time only.
    Can't say enough good things about Front Sight.

ps. Lunchtime day two(?) they brought out the full autos to play with. The look on my daughter's face when she touched off the Thompson was worth the price of the trip.

Boolit Buddy

WoW, I am certainly impressed. Keep it up.

Congrats Randy!
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Vendor Sponsor

Art: I have shot my Ruger Mini 14, my Kel-Tec SU16, and my AR at these classes. I have no problems running the first two, and only need to drill with the AR to get the Gun Handling portion locked in as it is my newest weapons system. All three have Red Dot Sights and accuracy is similar for all, so the actual shooting portion is OK

460: I fired about 750. 200 the first day thru the G35 .40S&W with Red Dot,,, and about 550 over the last 3 days from the G21SF .45 ACP. I might add that there were 6 guys in the course with Optical Sights on their guns. 34 in the class total.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and way to go, Randy. That's not something one attains overnight, and only those with real grit get to that stage. You're a good man, and I admire good men.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    congrats Randy, them 3 shots were good hit IMO ; ) Keep up the good shooting !!
    H/D

Vendor Sponsor

Yeah,,, now I'm back to Casting and PCing Boolits and Loading .45's.

Also looking at getting my Instructors License from the NRA so I can start teaching.

The old boy I shot with had been an NRA instructor for 45 years! and I figure I should get something that says I kind of know what I doing, before I teach any one. I was teaching him how to draw from a Holster since he had never been allowed to do that by his club.

I have been teaching machinists for 30 years but you don't need a ticket for that. It is more like,,, "do it this way or I'll fire you."

Teaching gun skills is a different animal and requires a certain mentality and a competent skill set.

I have been to Front Sight enough times to understand what they are teaching. I have some small improvements I want to include as the shooting skills world is evolving constantly. Also when you are working one on one you can push a person more directly to a specific goal or Technique that allows them to bypass a lot of bad habits.

I know that as I was learning I did a lot of wrong things that were what I "thought" I was being taught. Had I had closer supervision I could have bypassed a lot of this and achieved my goal a lot sooner. By simply explaining exactly what is correct in a clear and concise manner, followed by close coaching and drilling a lot of Bad Habits can be avoided.

Now that I understand all of the Fundamentals better I can communicate them easier and more effectively.

Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Randy

Boolit Master
    I'm going with club members to Front Sight this month. Class starts Mon., Nov 14. This will be my third time. Shoot 550--600 rounds in 4 days.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Banner Sponsor

Congrats! sounds like it was a real good time.
    I think that's great that you're looking at becoming an NRA instructor to give back to the community and help the next generation of shooters.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I'm going with club members to Front Sight this month. Class starts Mon., Nov 14. This will be my third time. Shoot 550--600 rounds in 4 days.
    I was looking at that class but my B day is Nov15 so I couldn't' be out of town.

I wrote Naish a letter about not having any Skill Builders til mid Nov and he told be he'd make adjustments . I really like the place and feel very comfortable there. I always come back much better than I arrived.

Randy