WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southbend 9 inch model A lathe

Boolit Buddy
    As alstep mentioned, safety first. When I work on a lathe, it's no sleeves and no jewelry (rings, watch). (particularly open-belt machines like ours)

Boolit Master
    Attachment 179208 Here is mine, just after it was set up. It has lots of goodies that go with it, not shown in the photo. I inherited it, so it was very costly in one way.

I took a class at the local tech school when I first got it (about 20 years ago), but the teacher was very poor. He was great on the lathe, but he could not explain what it did or why. When the student could not follow (there were more than just me), he just yelled the same things louder thinking that would solve the problem.

I took a look at the classes again at the tech school a couple of years ago, right after I retired. Unfortunately, there are no classes for actual lathe work. There are several classes for writing code for numerical control lathes. I would think that you would have to know how to run a lathe before you could write code for it, but they don't seem to think so. I have learned a little by myself, but I am using it waaaaaayyyyyy below its potential.

I think you got a good deal.

WOW...$1,100! How come I can't find a deal like that? Congratulations sir!

I've one just like the one you've purchased, don't worry about the price- a good deal is the one you feel good about, and I'd feel good with the deal you got. I've had pretty good luck with "TubalCain" videos, a copy of the Machinest Handbook, and a little patience. Here's a link to the videos...
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...69869E8CB708F2
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

I have the same lathe as you. For the condition its in and what came with it you did well. You even got the often lost thread dial.

In Remembrance

I have a 1935 Model A 9" Southbend with QCGB and 4 foot bed. My dad bought it and paid $500 for it and I would'nt take $2000. Great lathe and mine will make repeatable 5 ten thousands cuts. You did well sir. Cherish that great old classic.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Man
    What is the difference between a model A and C? I know someone has a 9x42 C, could you thread a 24 inch barrel with it? He wants 700.00 for it.

The 9A has a quick change gearbox for threading and changing feed rates. The 9C has a box of gears that you change to cut different threads and vary feeds. The 9A has a clutch on the apron for power longitudinal and cross feeding. The 9C uses the half nut for longitudinal feeding and has manual only cross feed. After setup both lathes have the same thread cutting capability.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the information.

Boolit Master

South Bend model "A" has the quick change gear box and a clutch for feed.

The model "B" lacks the quick change gears, and comes with a stack of gears that you have to manually change and calculate the gear train for the thread pitch & feeds. It has the clutch for feed. A real pain when you want to change from a rough cut to a finish cut, or change thread pitch.

The model "C" is the "B" but lacks the clutch. All threading & feeds are engaged by the half nuts. Since most of your machining will be turning & facing, that puts a lot of wear & stress on the lead screw. On the "A" & "B" the feed power comes through the spline in the lead screw and the clutch, not from the threads on the lead screw. I've seen a few boat anchor machines that had totally worn out threads on the lead screw.

There is also a toolroom model, comes with a taper attachment, collet attachment, and other goodies.
    Last edited by Alstep; 10-22-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Nice machine, congrats! My 9A was made in 1949 and also has the somewhat rare v-belt drive. I paid $1k a few months ago but it came with a lot of tooling so I thought it was a good deal. I am in the middle of a restoration now but am looking for another lathe with a larger spindle bore.
    Last edited by kingstrider; 10-22-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master

Mr. Kingstrider, if you're still looking for a bigger lathe, I've got a 16 X 36 with a 1-5/8 spindle bore for sale. In nice shape, just don't use it any more. PM if interested.

Alstep, I appreciate the offer but I'm looking for something closer to home. That's a long way to travel for a big heavy machine.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    if that is a 4 1/2 foot bed you did real good. the tooling you got for free. I agree get the book how to run a lathe.

the 9" lathes always bring more then the bigger lathes. they are easier for the hobby guys to get in the basement. also if you move it is to take with you.

if you lived closer I could give you lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Nice machine, congrats! My 9A was made in 1949 and also has the somewhat rare v-belt drive.
    It looks like you also have a 2 speed counter shaft which not all the 9" lathes came with. Mine did not. I also don't see a thread dial. Do you have it?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    The orginal "How to run a lathe" book comes with th lathe. I will look into the quick change tool post. Thanks guys. Please, keep the ideas coming. Maybe a few beginner idea projects.

I put this near the front of the thread. I just started reading the book . I learn a bit easier by doing. But the book will help a lot. The you tube videos will help a lot. Thanks. I would not have thought of looking there. I guess I am not up with todays new ways of learning. I am very excited. We will move it to my place this week. Great idea about going to the recycle place. Thank you for all the ideas. Please, send more.

Boolit Master

Here are some online forums for home shop turners. You'll hear of Practical Machinist, but that's a group of professionals in manufacturing - they like to give new guys digital noogies for fun. You could hide and watch, though.

Each of these has it's own flavor. If you are really interested, take care, as going through the archives will burn through a caffeine fueled weekend.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

http://hobby-machinist.com

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php

http://madmodder.net/index.php

A google search of 'South Bend Lathe' might turn up other nuggets.

I'm sure other booliteers are on some of these sites, too. If any of y'all know of others, please post.

Boolit Master

Great find! You did well on the price. That little South Bend is a fine lathe. The tooling itself is the real plus. Your are getting good advice here, heed it and buy some good books. Good machining!

Boolit Master

I taught Machine shop in a local community college some years back (1975-77). Students were both college students and Machinist Apprentices. The text we used was a good one for persons learning the basics of machine work and is a great reference for anyone in the machine trade. Saw this listing for it on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Machine-...UAAOSwgmJXw7Dw

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I taught Machine shop in a local community college some years back (1975-77). Students were both college students and Machinist Apprentices. The text we used was a good one for persons learning the basics of machine work and is a great reference for anyone in the machine trade. Saw this listing for it on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Machine-...UAAOSwgmJXw7Dw
    I just ordered this book. Your link was sold out. I found another seller for a few dollars less.

Thank you very much.