Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Sucks. Moving Overseas Really Sucks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Congratulations on the new job and promotion if no one has sent you that note at least!
    Thank you, Bruce!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Daegu/Taegu; actually Waegwan (a suburb); Camp Carroll.
    My aunt lived in Daegu for many years, teaching English. She loved it there.

Boolit Master
    Korea is cool, for a little while, lol. Good food, especially the kimchi.
    On another note why sell all the stuff? Just rent a storage locker and store it until you move back.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

When I've spent time overseas, it's the little things that I miss... Depending upon the country, things like, American mustard, American ketchup, A-1 sauce, Tony Chachere's seasoned salt, Dr. Pepper, Texas BBQ...

I was in the UK earlier this year and was making a hot dog. Went to grocery store and got some mustard. Turns out the English mustard is a LOT different than American mustard. I like a lot of mustard on my hot dog, so I slobbered it on as usual. The English mustard is more like the Chinese mustard that you put on egg rolls along with sweet & sour sauce. If you treat it like American mustard, you are in for an "awakening experience".

I wasn't that impressed with Korean food though. The beef is too fat -- it's like it's the beef version of pork bacon. And I'm not a veggie person, so I have no desire to try kimchi. There was this one street vendor outside of the gates to Osan that sold very good fried shrimp (tempura, I think). Even with just salt on them, they were good. With American ketchup it would have been even better. I seem to remember the ketchup over there being a bit more watery and lacking some in flavor. Kind of like if you were buying a really cheap bulk discount ketchup here, I guess.

Boolit Bub
    The big problem with the rental storage units is eventually the rent you pay is equal or more than the value of the stuff you store . Good luck in your new position and be careful.

Boolit Master
    If I planned to return to Yuma, I would definitely consider storing some of my unshippable stuff in a storage unit. However, I don't plan to return to Yuma. The plan is to stay in Korea for five years, until I retire. We intend to have located a house in Texas by then, and move there when we leave Korea. That's one reason that I'm storing my stuff with old, old friends in Texas.

Re: food in Korea. Korean food is an acquired taste, but after being married to a Korean woman for over 40 years, I am somewhat accustomed to it! With the commissary on base, you can get all of the more common American condiments that you like. I probably won't be able to find Tapatio brand hot sauce there, so I'm shipping several bottles. Kimchi comes in an almost unlimited variety, made from everything from cabbage to green onions to cucumbers; it's a valuable source of iron and other vitamins and minerals. It's also pretty tasty!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Best of luck with your future endeavors. moving all the stuff we acquire sure does suck. I know because I'm 1 year in the middle of a move myself. Pickup and trailer load after load. But I could never afford to replace all the toys and tools I have acquired over the years and hope to put many of them back to use after moving. These are the two trains of thought when moving, get rid of everything then move and try to replace it or just forget about those passions/hobbies or to move everything.

One time I bought a house next door to me, and only 150 ft from one door to the other. After that move I think I would rather move across the ocean than just next door. Moving is hard and having to store things is even a bigger headache to go along with it. You sir have my blessings.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

The few times I've been in South Korea, the people and the country reminded me a lot of growing up in Maine. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could purchase about 20 acres near the Southern Coast (South Jeolla Province)
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club