Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I got a handfull, not a handout

Boolit Master

I got a handfull, not a handout

I was reading thru some recent posts here on this lead forum. I started to daydream about finding a wheel weight on the ground and it reminded me about my recent trip to the tire shop for 2 tired that failed. I asked if the technician could spare any used wheel weights, said sure.... he handed me.............................a handfull, a hand full. I am now laughing my butt off typing this.

Boolit Master

That beats the little batch I have around somewhere that I found while running. One little WW at a time. I've also got my own 4 back when I got new tires from a shop that claimed to have a contract for them.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Youll refine your pitch. Live and learn.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Master
    I was laughing because i told the tire guy I cast bullets with them.... so he handed me 4 more weights. Like, what the He@& am I supposed to do with 4 more weights. He did not know I get 1000 pounds a month of reclaimed range lead.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Triggerhappy243, last bucket and a half I got, the owner asked me what I was going to do with these wheel weights! I told him the truth, going to make pistol bullets! So he sold them to me, said if I had said fishing sinkers I couldn't have had them! Go figure.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

if you get 1000 pound per month, save the ww's for the less fortunate! I have been buying,collecting lead for at least a year and have only just shy of 300lbs!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

That was awful nice of him.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I will jump out of car at a traffic light and pick them up when I seen them. Routinely walk around intersections and pick them up. Kind of like a treasure hunt for me.

Rosewood

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    if you get 1000 pound per month, save the ww's for the less fortunate! I have been buying,collecting lead for at least a year and have only just shy of 300lbs!
    That's like 6 Tons a year. I guess he has a big shed lol.

Boolit Master
    I do have a big shed. Now as soon as I can build ingot molds shaped like the USPS med. flat rate box, I will start pouring sheets 3/8 inch thick and pack so they dont scatter when those guys play football with them.

Boolit Master
    When I started looking for lead one place offered me a small coffee can full. I took it and thanked him, but felt disappointed, until I mentally calculated that it was like someone handing me a couple hundred cast boolits... enough for a shooting session. Every bit helps.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

my point exactly ghh3rd, lead is precious, especially to the poor, aka me,. I am scared to death I wont get enough saved up before it becomes either outlawed or just way too expensive. I am 30 and have a long casting career ahead, 250-300 lbs aint gonna make it that far.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    The first time me an my bud out in the 80's. We broke a chevy S10

Boolit Master
    The first time me an my bud out in the 80's. We broke a chevy S10
    Ah, I miss(ed) those days. I didn't get into this game until about seven years ago at age 56... just when WW were drying up. If only I'd known back then that I would need lead now and could have been getting 5 gal pails of it cheap or for free!

I am 30 and have a long casting career ahead, 250-300 lbs aint gonna make it that far.
    I agree, and you have longer to 'worry' about getting lead than me. I made a quick n dirty excel chart with every caliber I shoot, how many rounds of each I would like to shoot (conservatively) each month, grains per round etc... and how many more years I'd like to be able to do it. It was much more lead than I can fathom finding around here, and funds are too short to be buying lead 'bout now.

It may be time to switch gears and focus on other scavengable stuff to sell in order to purchase lead from places like this, while it's around.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post

It may be time to switch gears and focus on other scavengable stuff to sell in order to purchase lead from places like this, while it's around.

Randy
    Spot on. Zinc WWs do pretty well on evilbay.

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago I took my wife's Dodge Shadow, a little compact car, in for tires. I asked about WWs and the guy said I could have all I could get in the car. I put four 5 gallon buckets in the trunk! The guy wanted the buckets so I emptied them into the trunk. Good thing I only had to drive home about 1/2 mile. I wonder if he would have warrantied the tires if they blew out?

Boolit Master
    The first pail of WW I got was about 7 yrs ago from a very small tire store in Tampa, for $10. The owner was a really grumpy guy, and I hadn't thought of bringing my own pail. Although I offered to pay the guy for his pail he refused and was about to cancel the sale. I spread out some lawn bags I had in the car and dumped the bucket into the passenger floorboard. It was worth it.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    "I took my wife's Dodge Shadow"

"and dumped the bucket into the passenger floorboard"

WOW! You guys roll hard core!!

Boolit Master

What works for me is keeping one of those plastic coffee containers handy when I shoot at a public range. During the cease fires with RO permission, I pick up surface laid lead, while other folks check targets. Each time they call a cease fire I can normally gather one or two handfuls of lead bullets. I picked up just over 200 lbs of alloy at the Cheyenne Mountain shooting complex in Colorado Springs doing this. While there I had more time than money so I paid my five dollars for range time, fire what ever I wanted and scrounged lead. I even made a day of it shooting a Pellet rifle during hot times and picked up lead during cold times. I have since moved back home and recycled this lead about three times now. But of course I never turn down a clip on found in a parking lot in spite of the Household 06 constant head shaking on this behavior when she is with me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617