Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The cost of reloading

I liked to tinker in my reloading room, and felt good about it. I think at first it started as a hobby, then it becomes a passion, and lately, they way I looked at myself, its worse, it's already an OBSESSION! LOL!

But I'm happy, there's something real good that I felt inside when I held in my hands shining bright ammo that performs well!

Not sure if there is anything I like and find more pleasant than time spent casting or reloading. It is work, because I accomplish something but it is work I choose to do rather than work or tasks I have to do. Always plenty of those must do items on my to-do list so being able to make something I want with my efforts is nice change of pace.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Looks to me a lot like we should have gotten a BOAT look at all the money we could save if we did not buy our fish.

Why do I reload because I can.

Why do I hunt because I can.

If you want to know what a man loves look where he spends his money they may tell you all kinds of reasons but with the time and money spent they love doing it.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Reloading increases deadliness which in turn increases ethics levels when hunting. It should be able to kill game more cleanly which would decrease tracking or looking and increase more palatable meat. Even though factory ammo has different loadings within a particular cartridge or gauge and can be quite good, reloading for a specific weapon whether it be pistola, shotgun, or rifle the reloader can tailor the load to the specific weapon for optimum results. Though, just like with factory ammo there maybe a trial and error period before settling on a load per weapon, but this might be due to the reloader's design plan, inexperience, misrepresentation of components, faulty components, range spectrums designed for but went out of those specifics on the shot, weight of animal designed for, angle of shot, the list goes on and on. The do all load is harder to achieve.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Banned
    Reloading is an obsession!!! Took stock of my reloading equipment and added up all I have spent for every piece of equipment and it scared the **** out of me. Knowing what I spent puts a new light on things. In the bullet caster and molds alone I have costs in excess of 4K. Two bullet sizers with air cylinders, feeders, collators, dies and punches is around 3K. Two presses with reloading dies and conversion kits in excess of 3.5K. Now figure in two scales, two powder measures and assorted case prep equipment. Yup, reloading is a cost savings hobby. I do have enough loaded up for the zombie thing coming.

Banned
    Lets see.... I could purchase 1050 boxes of ammunition at $10.00 a box. I could buy 583 boxes of 300 blackout at 18.00 @ box or 11,660 rounds. yup there are cost savings there its just going to take years and years to break even.

6bg6ba...There's another way to look at it..."Just be thankful that the funds were there for you to experience the hobby. The kids got fed, clothed and educated and the wife satisfied in life, none of the animals died for lack of care...you worked your butt off to assure all that, heck...can't you have a little something of what's left over?
    Besides isn't it a mortal sin to walk by brass on the range without at least having a look at it and dragging it home with you...If you bought all your rounds, think of all the brass you would have left everywhere."
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Oh yeah reuse is the highest form of recycling. Doing my part to save the planet one brass case at a time.

I am not one of those reloading a caliber that is not available off the shelf but I have found that older mil-surp rifles are much happier when fed my moderate power loads. Bolts cycle smoothly without the harsh recoil of factory ammo pounding the bolt back and accuracy is enhanced because of bullet fit. So the "value" of those old rifles is enhanced by reloading. I would put that value on the savings side of the ledger.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Boys I'll tellya...I save so much money by reloading and casting...well, I have to use a 55 gallon drum for a Piggy Bank!

When they get full I stack them out in the Barn!

I hear ya.... When the $100 bills pile up and block the view out the picture window, I just take 'em out and burn them... I hate that!....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Ditto.
    Typically 4 6 and 10 cavity moulds, Star Sizer and a Dillon 550. The only bottleneck in my reloading prcess is case prep. I just can't bring myself to spend $400 on the Dillon Motorized trimmer plus dies for the 308 and 223. Probably $500 by the time it is all said and done.....just to trim rifle brass.
    Winters are long and cold here in NH and I usually do my brass prep over the winter on a Forster hand trimmer (works like a charm) with an electric drill adapter. Also switch to hand crank when my hands get tired.
    But with no TV you would be surprised how much time you can give to your hobby.
    Our setups sound very similar, Even some of the same sub-guns we're feeding. 4-6-10 cavity molds, Star Sizer and Dillon 550. For me, I'm shooting Subguns, so I avoid the rifle cartridge trimming issue that you have. I do shoot rifles, but none with giggle switches. With the way prices are these days, unless business picks up pretty substantially, I doubt I'll be shooting any rifle caliber MG's anytime soon.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned
    OS OKThanks for the reply. You put it into a different light. Your right Idid work my butt off for what I have and I should be satisfied knowing that what I have is pretty good equipment and its paid for. Last thing... I should be thankful and I am. Leave an empty brass laying around? Hell NO!!!

Boolit Grand Master

When I got into reloading I calculated my break-even point, hit it and haven't taken a pencil to it since. Been reloading 35 years and it's been quite a ride! I can load for more cartridges than most folks can name. I can load ammo that you can't buy and/or load ammo better than you can buy. I've had a lot of fun and eliminated a lot of stress over the years as well.
    Just had a nice little supper of breakfast tacos. I cooked the meal, I made the sausage, I processed the meat. I field dressed the deer, shot the deer, mounted the scope, maybe even assembled the rifle. I loaded the ammo, tested and developed the loads. I cast the boolits, smelted the lead, scrounged and sorted the wheelweights.
    No idea how many thousands of dollars worth of equipment I used to go from used wheelweight to supper on the table but the experience was priceless and I get to do it most nights.
    On top of all that I get to hang out here with all these good folks while my 38-40 cases are rattling around in the cleaner in another room.
    Looks like this is my 10,000th post. I think I'll pour myself a little drink and relax with a good book. Good night, all! Bedtime for an old fat man coming up soon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

TXGunNut, congrats on the 10k posts. Enjoy your book and drink!

Boolit Master

I shot all the full-auto I wanted to in the military. It was fun, but not THAT fun. I shot my brother's M16 a couple of weeks ago that his department issued him for a patrol rifle. It was fun, but not THAT fun...

Was at Ben Avery gun range in Phoenix a few years ago when the Dillon guy showed up with his hummer and the mounted machine gun and lit it off. THAT was cool... But it was win the lottery level of cool...

I don't dismiss those who enjoy their full autos; just not my thing...

Different strokes for different folks

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I shot all the full-auto I wanted to in the military. It was fun, but not THAT fun. I don't dismiss those who enjoy their full autos; just not my thing...
    ....just as we don't dismiss those one-shot-at-a-time muzzle loader shooters. It is all about different strokes for different folks.
    In any collecting fraternity there are those that like the exotic or different stuff. In this day and age collecting and shooting full auto is a rich man's sport. I was lucky that I got into it 30-40 years ago when full auto was relatively inexpensive. I couldn't afford to buy at today's prices.
    The movement now is into SBR's (short barrel rifles) and suppressors. While the $200 tax is still applicable per transfer, the cost of the items are within reach....not that much different than a full size rifle.
    But back to the OP's point. It DOES allow us to shoot more full auto by casting and reloading. With all the lead I have scrounged over the years, I think i will be set for some time. I bought brass when you could get 9mm for $10 per thousand and 308 and 223 was barely scrap value. By taking care, and not beating the daylights out of the reloads, I should be set for life on brass, plus I am an admitted scrounge at the range. I pick up whatever is good regardless. I trade what calibers I don't need for more brass that I use, or more lead or something else that I can use.
    It is a great hobby and I enjoy it immensely. Casting opened up the other side of reloading many years ago and I haven't looked back since.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

My first full-auto was an SWD M10/9 for $850 in 2000. I sent it off to Tactical Innovations (when he was still in Maryland) to get the Sten mag conversion. I bought 60(?) Sten mags from SARCO when they were blowing them out @ $2.50 each. Got a Lanchester from IMA-USA. Sent 20 Sten mags to US Machinegun who TIG welded them into 10 Lanchester equivalents. Have since gotten M11/9, M11/380 and M10/45. I checked on MAC prices lately. Seems the cheapest one is $7000

Ever had someone at the range get all snide on you like "those things are a waste of ammo"? I reply "Yep, and it's my ammo to waste" I'm jealous of no one. I certainly wouldn't make insolent remarks to a stranger, so I don't tolerate it from others..

Boolit Buddy
    I started to reload because it did save me a bundle of money. I was living in a remote part of Montana and factory ammo was quite spendy, so cost wise you were limited to a box or two a year. My first reloading setup was well under $50 total. Fast forward about 50 years and I have more stuff than I care to list. I did not reload all the time, since I moved and traveled for work etc. I never gave up my setup though it has been upgraded and added to quite a bit. Reloading is about shooting and having the option to do so at your pleasure not what someone else dictates. To me it is cost effective, and I do it for me not the savings. It is a past necessity that became a hobby and then a craft!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Mold
    I like tools and gadgets of all kind's. Although I have wanted to reload for a long time I couldn't justify the cost of the equipment. Then Bullet's became difficult to get so my wife was ok with a purchase at that time. I also could not find any 300 ACC black out bullet's when I purchased my rifle; only the 300 whisper. Lee didn't make the die's at that time even though they made a mold. I over spent, on gun's, but was afraid that the Government would do some kind of band. I'm still not sure what's the future will hold but I will be able to continue shooting for a while longer, by reloading. But when you can purchase bulk bullet's so cheap it will be a fun hobby rather than a saving's. That's my justification. I'm not smart enough to develop load's so I depend on you guy's for data. Thank you. I don't know if there is a post about lead bullets for the 230 grain blk out data. The only thing I can find from the power companies are copper jacked or plated bullets. A link will be appreciated. I'm attempting to do a search but I'm not very good at that either.

Perma-Banned

roundabout...you are in a good place to learn that forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Banned
    I hope most of the wives NEVER open this thread to read it. While their content to have anywhere from 30- 150+ pairs of shoes we the male are supposed to work come home from work do not pass go and do not collect the $200 unless it is handed over to them immediately. Well, most here may fall into that grouping. So, they can have a closet or two or three filled with dresses and assorted clothes plus the shoes and handbags we the male are supposed to get along with several pairs of blue jeans, a sunday suit, and two pairs of shoes. Revolt!!! Go to the nearest gun shop pull out your credit card and purchase any ammo station that fits your needs complete with all the bells. Added to that purchase a pile of a thousand or two of bullets, 5K of large and small primers and 3 or 4 8lb kegs of powder. This is savings the kind that you will never see again!.Reality check... How many rounds are you going to shoot in a years time? Probably several hundred but then again you have the Zombie appocolipse to worry about so load up. Now, consider the costs of the equipment and components. Yup, you saved money or better yet you assured yourself that you will have zombie rounds when the time comes. That in itself warrants the spending of that amount of money after all she has dresses ,shoes, and handbags, right? Keep telling yourself you have the right to do so after all there was enough money left to purchase groceries to put food on the table this week and maybe even next week either that or you could go hunting..thats right isn't squirrel season open soon? Makes sense....$10 worth of ammo for three tasty squirrels.Serously, pulling your leg hard for quite a while and a few posts now...... reloading provides relief in a sort of way. When the wife says no to a general question some here might pose several times a week and answers with a "I have a headache" you can always to to the man cave and reload as it takes your mind off other things. Its ok to have reloading equipment as she has shoes, purses, and closets full of clothes. If you don't figure the cost of the reloading equipment and your time reloading saves money. Reloading assures that you have a supply when the shelves at the gun store are empty. Reloading assures that when zombies come knocking at your door you can blow their heads off and still have an ample supply of ammo left. After all you can still send the wife to answr the front door to ask the zombies to wait 5-10 minutes until you load up a few rounds. Reloading is fun, gives a manly feeling is cost saving and provides ammo when there is none to be had. Last thing....I created a monster at home. I took the wife shooting many years ago and she loves it. The first 300 blackout I put together she put 6 rounds thru it turned around and looked at me with love in her eyes and said " Your going to make me one of these in OD green" I answered "YES" I will dear. I don't have to hide any guns, components, equipment or anything I buy because at todays count she is ahead of me with gun purchases and simply tells me if you want it either make it or buy it. God I love guns and reloading!!!