Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Does anyone here have a heat treat oven?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Does anyone here have a heat treat oven?

I need some small parts that I made of S7 tool steel hardened by taking to 1725-1775 degrees and soaking for an hour then quenching in oil. The tempering I can do but I have no way to take anything to the hardening temperature and maintaining it accurately for an hour. Does anyone here do this and if so, what are the costs? If not, can someone recommend a place that does this and is reasonably priced?
    These pieces are roughly 1 1/2" long by .280 diameter with a "flag" on one end. There would probably be 6-8 of them.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

In Remembrance
    Is there a business in your area that 'services' springs for trailers and cars?
    Many can re-temper, or custom build, a set of leaf springs ... which means they have the ability to heat treat metal.

Here in Great Falls there is a shop called Swain's Spring Service.
    Check your yellow pages to see what exists in your area.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    pm inbound

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I didn't see this thread until today - Pipefitter sent you a PM - Do you still need a heat treat oven? I've got one I use for HT'ing knife blades if I can be of any help.

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    I bought a "Knife Heat treat Oven" last summer. It was from a older gents estate near hear. I haven't tryed it on any thing. I would bet its O.K. People around here are honest . I would help if needed. Lots of time - retired. Me and nephew are both loafers now. Contact me if needed.

Boolit Grand Master

I am currently out of town and I don't have my references handy but I remember S7 being air hardening for small pieces. The hold time seems long for small items also.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Thank you all for your responses.

I think I have found a vendor that custom makes the part I need, and although a bit spendy, it is worth the lack of hassle, especially since my knowledge of heat treating consists of using an acetylene torch to heat red hot, quenching in oil/water, polishing and drawing back to some suggested color.

Thermal Treatments
    Preheat : 1100/1250F (595/675C), equalize, 1350/1450F (775/790C), equalize.

Austenize : 1725/1775F (995/895C), 30/45 minutes at temperature.

Quench : Air, positive pressure vacuum to 150F (65C), Interrupted oil to 150F(65C). Sections over 3" thick may require oil quenching to attain full hardness.

Temper : 350/1000F (205/540C), hold 2 hours at temperature, air cool. Temper twice.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!