Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springer break in question

Boolit Bub
    I like to think that the break in period is really you getting use to the rifle. I have several rifles ranging from light, medium to magnum. As each rifle and persons are different so bear that in mind. Next is based on how it works for me
    Light duty - easy to manage - Remington Tyrant .177
    Medium duty - are always hold sensitive - Remington NPSS .22
    Magnum - I'm holding it tighter than normal - Hatsan 125TH .25

Got the Beeman sighted in. I used the .22 barrel on it. Don't plan on using the .177 barrel. Grouped pretty good I'd say. This is about 20 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

I think all new barrels need some breakin, but I think the 200 shots with a springer is to finish the piston seal in the cylinder.
    Not sure if there is that much "seating" in today's cylinder synthetic seal like there used to be with leather seal.

All of mine walk a little if I shoot enough to heat them up

Looks like minute of squirrel to me..

Might as well try that 177 barrel, lot more pellets for the same dollars.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I think all new barrels need some breakin, but I think the 200 shots with a springer is to finish the piston seal in the cylinder.
    Not sure if there is that much "seating" in today's cylinder synthetic seal like there used to be with leather seal.

All of mine walk a little if I shoot enough to heat them up

Looks like minute of squirrel to me..

Might as well try that 177 barrel, lot more pellets for the same dollars.
    i have a gamo in .177. Having trouble keeping a scope in it though. I put a red dot on it and am pleased thus far. Not as accurate with the red dot, but better than making it a paperweight.

Boolit Master

hoosierlooger
    Are you using airgun rated scopes?
    Amendments

Boolit Buddy
    Break in time is for the piston/compression tube assembly. The barrel only needs to be cleaned. As assembly lubes burn off in a new gun, they leave residue in the barrel that must be cleaned to maintain accuracy. Some barrels benefit from deburring at the breech and muzzle. A small cratex point, rotated by hand works well.
    Every springer goes through a break-in period. Some take longer than others.
    Every one of my eight springers has had a full lube-tune. Even after extensive polishing and deburring, a tuned springer still needs 50-100 shots for parts to seat.

I have 50+ years shooting boolits in anything that goes bang. Springer air rifles are a completely different beast. Spring gun tuning has often been referred to as "black magic". Lots of good info on airgun sites regarding a DIY lube tune.

my $0.02

hoosierlooger
    Are you using airgun rated scopes?
    Yes the scopes are spring gun rated. It is the mounts I am having troubles with. Even the one piece with the scope stop pin. The recoil of the rifle is bending the pin in the aluminum mount.

Boolit Master
    I went from springers to Pcp now back to springers. Pcp is OK but the springer Is a real pleasure to shoot in the 12fpe range.

Boolit Master

For Springers I use the steel mounts about 4" long and several screws to clamp them tight. I am not smart enough to post a picture, but you can see what I am talking about using "airgun scopemount" in the search box of Amazon's page.

That said they would likely still try to walk if it were not for the stop devices screwed to the top of the action.

Though it does not seem like it when shooting a springer, the action from the spring and piston movement must be pretty violent.
    Amendments

For Springers I use the steel mounts about 4" long and several screws to clamp them tight. I am not smart enough to post a picture, but you can see what I am talking about using "airgun scopemount" in the search box of Amazon's page.

That said they would likely still try to walk if it were not for the stop devices screwed to the top of the action.

Though it does not seem like it when shooting a springer, the action from the spring and piston movement must be pretty violent.
    I have the one piece aluminum mounts. They have 3 screws along the side to clamp it to the reciever. They also have a stop pin that screws down into a hole in the top of the reciever to prevent it from walking. However the pin deforms the aluminum under the recoil. The last one I put on, I hammered it onto the 3/8" dovetail from the rear. It had a set screw in it to secure it. I also put red locktite on the groove asinine as tapping it in place. That piece allowed me to use my red dot that had 1" mounts made into it. It's not as accurate as a conventional scope due to the dot being 1 1/2" on the target at 25 yards. Gotta give and take some, it has stayed on thus far.

Boolit Master

I've got a lot to learn about air guns, I can see now.

Bought a cheaper cock/spring gun .177/.22 with a scope on it , I think Beeman at the big store and I can't hit anything with it. I think there may be 25 rds through it, sounds like I need to shoot it lot more before i deem it useless.

Boolit Master
    Randyrat do a search for artillery hold. You hold a springer fairly loose and the same every time. The gun will not like being rested on anything.