RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Loads for .38s in 9mm

Boolit Bub

Loads for .38s in 9mm

While there's a number of threads with information about using 158gr .38 bullets in 9mm, I don't see much in the way of actual load data for them.
    Perhaps, also, some new experimenting has been done.
    Usually, in 9mm I prefer WSF, or, if I run out, Unique. My guess is that for a wheelweight 158gr RN TL Lee I might look at using about 3.5gr for starters.
    Why 158s? Because I have that mold and I don't have a regular 9mm one, and since I don't do as much 9 as other calibers, I haven't gotten around to spending the dough on one.
    Anybody got some numbers?

Boolit Buddy
    This info from Lyman manual circa. 1963: Starting load - 3.5 gr Unique to (max)4.5 gr. Unique. Boolits: Lyman 358311 (RN) & 357446 (SWC). No info, of course, for your powder of choice. I tried this load in an old P1 P-38 with a Lee 158 gr bullet sans GC's just for the halibut many years ago, just to see if they'd work. They actually fed with a little fiddling, but I didn't pursue the experiment. As I recall, they chrono'd around 650-700 or so FPS.

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon Data Manual #23 show loads for 160 gr lead in 9mm of 4.8 gr HS6 and 3.3 gr HP38 without pressure data or col but bullet size .355-.356. I've used the data with the Lee 356-153-2R cast at 156 gr col 1.16" and with the Lyman 356637 cast at 156 gr col 1.13" and survived.
    How far out can you seat that TL358-158-2R to maintain col and still chamber? What weight and size do you cast? Pressure will rise if you have to seat deeper.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Back in the Old Days

When I was shooting IPSC I shot a LOT of 141 Lee cone point and 150 gr Lee Hollow point boolits in a 38 Super Commander. The Barsto Barrel supported the case much better than the Colt Barrel did. I used Unique for most of those loads to make Major.

I sized them .356 and never had a problem with leading. They were cast from Lyman #2 or as close as I could make.

I did load some 102 gr and 121 Lyman cast boolits with a friend for his 9MM but we were just working up to make the slide function, with accuracy. Never tried any of the heavy weights in the little case.

If I remember right the old (#45) Lyman manual had lots of loads for autos with cast boolits that were heaver than normal.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"