Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking: Photo Of The New FBI Glock 17M Leaked

Boolit Master
    LOL some of you make me laugh such ignorant statements about an iconic design. Not too mention THE most reliable defensive or service weapon that ever graced the hands of a professionals or amateurs. Sure it is not exotic or a work of art. However given a choice knowing my life depended on it; I would choose a GLOCK every time.......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    *Yawn*

Glock: the only pistol that comes with absolutely no pride of ownership when you open the box.
    Huh? Their are entire sites devoted to them. Their fan boys are everywhere. I am far from a Glock fan. But to say they don't have pride of ownership is ignorant and foolish.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, let me double down a bit. They are Volkspistolen guns of the highest order. They do generally work ok, but they're NOT refined and they're not inspiring. They're like a lawnmower. Gets the job done, but you don't detect any soul in them. That saying I used is actually from the most senior of Jeff Cooper's instructors left out there, Ken Hackathorn, so I'll defer to him in all things pistol.

My other saying that will rile you up: Glock pistols: a mediocre service pistol with a brilliant marketing campaign

Enjoy. (BTW, I own several and carry a G-19 every day, but they're just a tool and nothing more. They don't have the "hook" of a nice Smith and Wesson revolver or well set up 1911 or even an HK. Just tools....)
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Grand Master

but they're just a tool and nothing more. They don't have the "hook" of a nice Smith and Wesson revolver or well set up 1911 or even an HK. Just tools....)
    To you. Always amazes me when people think their opinion is the only one. I'm no fan boy and all firearms are tools to me. It's different strokes for different folks.

No thanks...it's still a Gluck.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    To you. Always amazes me when people think their opinion is the only one. I'm no fan boy and all firearms are tools to me. It's different strokes for different folks.
    I don't think my opinion is the only one, but as somebody who has been involved with the gun as a carrier, armorer and trainer since the gun started becoming widely available in 1988, I've arrived at some very objective conclusions. In one two year time frame running a mobile training team overseas, I watched over 3 million rounds go downrange from Glock 19s. I saw nearly that much fired in the 15 years or so before, so I have well founded opinions. I recommend the gun as a tool for the carrying masses. It just has no "soul" to it. As stated before, they generally work well (although not as well as the so-called "Perfection" tagline claims), but they aren't the best thing out there by a stretch.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master
    I don't think my opinion is the only one, but as somebody who has been involved with the gun as a carrier, armorer and trainer since the gun started becoming widely available in 1988, I've arrived at some very objective conclusions. In one two year time frame running a mobile training team overseas, I watched over 3 million rounds go downrange from Glock 19s. I saw nearly that much fired in the 15 years or so before, so I have well founded opinions. I recommend the gun as a tool for the carrying masses. It just has no "soul" to it. As stated before, they generally work well (although not as well as the so-called "Perfection" tagline claims), but they aren't the best thing out there by a stretch.
    Nothing Perfect, but I understand the premise of your post.

Boolit Master
    I read elsewhere these new guns have been recalled due to a slide issue.

• "Changes in the rifling" Anybody know what changes?

Edit found info: http://www.guns.com/2016/08/16/more-...face-6-photos/
    Last edited by cephas53; 08-21-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I read elsewhere these new guns have been recalled due to a slide issue.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ice-Department

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ce-department/
    It looks like the new Glock 17Mpistols are already experiencing some teething problems with the design changes. There are reports that Indianapolis Metro Police Department has halted issuing the new dutypistol due to problems during dry fire training. The recall comes after the pistols were supposed to be issued on July 31st, but delayed till August 15th due to unknown problems.

The Firearm Blog’s source within the department declined to be named and only spoke on the condition of anonymity about the problems. Our source stated that the slides were falling off during dry fire training due to a potential issue with the recoil spring assembly and/or the slide lock. IMPD has recalled all issuedGlock 17Ms to include the one that TFB was leaked photos of due to the problem.

Once all the recalled pistols are back in IMPD’s hands, they will be sent back to Glock so that they may find a solution to the problems the new Glock variant is experiencing. At this time there is no indication as to how long the new duty weapons will be out of service for repairs.

We have not received any more information about the flawed recoil spring assemblies at this time. TFB called Glock to ask for comment on the recall of the pistols and response at the time of publication. We also called IMPD’s media relations team, they have not returned our request for comment about the recall either.
    My initial impression is there is a flaw with the slide lock springs, and the issue should be easily correctable. We shall see what happens in the coming weeks. I hope they identify the issue quickly so that these officers can get their new sidearms.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

It's amazing what a bad a specimen can do for product loyalty in my case. That Glock model 40 that swore me off Glocks. They could make one that could scrub a toilet and I still won't be in.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Groo here
    Looks like a modified Gen 1.
    Good-- the Gen 1 was the best of the bunch, got one, runs any factory ammo
    just not overly accurate, mil spec loose.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Its a slide stop not a slide release. I don't use it to release the slide anyway. Glocks not having all kinds of levers and junk on them is why they appeal to me in the first place. Plenty of other pistols if you like all that stuff on a gun.
    Piffil. Bob Vogel uses the slide release for only one reason, using it is faster than the more tacticool slingshot method used by those competitors who finish minutes behind in USPSA, IPSC and IDPA matches. If Glock made the slide release lever bigger more would use it or a least quit attempting to correct folks on the forum when they correctly call the slide release lever, a slide release lever.

The changes in the Glock 17 are interesting.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Vendor Sponsor

Bob: Glock does make one that is bigger and it is standard on G34 and 35's. I have them on my 35 and G21SF Unfortunately they don't make one for my G36 but I can live without it as the only thing I really need it for is to lock the slide open during a type 3 malfunction or empty gun, and since I have been doing this with these guns for a while now I can latch the slide open just fine with the existing catch. In both cases if you know you need to drop the slide you will automatically go for it instead of the slide release anyway. The G36 also has a pretty stiff Recoil Spring and there is a lot of pressure on the slide catch which makes it harder to drop, so racking the slide is better anyway.

As far as this Glock 17M malfunction, I'm pretty sure the culprit is the little spring that pushes up on the Takedown Catch or maybe some bad catches. Probably bad heat treat on the springs. I don't see this as being any big deal. I'm sure it is already fixed by now.

What I do like about that gun is the tapered front end of the slide, made that way to facilitate reholstering. The G34-35 have it and my G36 has it s well. Wish my G21 had it too.

There are several things common to these particular guns that I don't see why Glock doesn't include across the product line. The Extended Slide Release and the Tapered Front End of the slide are things I personally think should be standard, as both enhance the operation and usage of the pistol.

Extended Mag Release, Extended Slide Stop, and Better Sights. I also completely deburr all the plastic parts so I don't have any sharp edges to become annoying during a long day of shooting.

Otherwise the gun is stock. They seem to work pretty good that way.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-28-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com