RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 357 mag lever action

Boolit Buddy

Red face Rossi 92 357 mag lever action

Never owned a lever action rifle,so have a couple of 357 mag revolvers and like the looks of the Rossi 92 in stainless with the walnut stock, so what is the good, the bad and the ugly about the Rossi 92 levergun?

Boolit Master
    bad, it is a "kit" gun if you will. Needs smoothing and polishing on your end to make it run like a champ. Sometimes finicky about bullet profile and 38 vs 357 brass. It *does* have a goofy crossbolt safety, easy enough to remove and replace with a plug though. It is also a bit more involved to tear down.

Pros: Readily available, reasonable price, just a fun shooting gun and dead on for me. Slicking it up with a file and dvd made it smooth as glass with a 3lb trigger pull. One of my favorite range toys.

If possible get it local or from a gun show, the wood stocks vary greatly in the look and you can rack it a few times to feel how gritty it is.

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a 16" stainless model and it shoots like a dream now. Take a look at stevesgunz video if you decide to pick one up. It walks you through all the needed modifications to get it in top shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rossi original.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	174011
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 08-09-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot the safety
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master
    It has (had?) a goofy safety. It is not easy to tear down and reassemble. They seem to shoot well. I had one in .45 LC but never used it much. For me the Marlin 1894's and 1873 clones were easier to work on and functioned better (faster/smoother cycling).

Boolit Master

I have one in 44 mag and its a great gun. The basic difference is do you ever want to put a scope on it? If so you will have to scout scope it or get a Henry or if you can find a Marlin. I got the Rossi 92 because of the better twist for the 44 both the Henry and Marlin were 1 in 38. I think all have better twists for the 38/357 like 1 in 16 or so. My next will probably be the Henry. You hit a point in time were Irons work but if you are going to hunt with it you owe it to yourself and the animal to shoot through a scope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I have one in 44 mag and its a great gun. The basic difference is do you ever want to put a scope on it? If so you will have to scout scope it or get a Henry or if you can find a Marlin. I got the Rossi 92 because of the better twist for the 44 both the Henry and Marlin were 1 in 38. I think all have better twists for the 38/357 like 1 in 16 or so. My next will probably be the Henry. You hit a point in time were Irons work but if you are going to hunt with it you owe it to yourself and the animal to shoot through a scope.
    The newer rossi's are drilled and tapped already for scopes. Mine is sporting a leupold scout scope now, drift out the buckhorn sight and it is right underneath.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I have a stainless 20" .357, and I really, really like it, HOWEVER, due to the design of the m92 action it is somewhat picky when it comes to what ammo it likes. I load 358429 for my revolvers but they are too long for the m92. The convenience of a rifle and revolver that shoot the same round is lost, but I still like the gun so much that I just load different rounds.

I have a blue 20" .357 and it feeds everything. All shapes of .38 and .357 pass right through it perfectly. Mine arrived a little stiff, but operated the lever a few hundred times and it's now very smooth, as in one finger operation.

Addictive
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    My Rossi 92 is an SBR in the US, starting life as a Ranch Hand & growing into a full stock 92 with a 12in bbl. It's my most carried, most shot gun by a wide margin. Deadly accurate at 100 yds, handles smokin hot bear loads without a hiccup, & the fireball from those home grown loads is truly impressive. It's the shortest carbine I can own in Canada, & the most fun. Easy to slick up the action; It's a heck of a gun!

Boolit Master

Love my Rossi 92 in 45C close to being a tack driver out to 70 yards,that is all the room I have.Everything that I have shot with fell like a rock.I have the longest barrel I think it is a 24".The reason for the longer barrel all of my hunting is from a box blind and I like the accuracy.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

I have two. Both 16" and both tuned. Removed the safety. They run real good. You don't have to have them tuned, but it makes a big difference. Had one worked on by Jim Bowie and the othe other by Nate Kiowa Jones aka Steve's Gunz. Both top level SASS gunsmiths, as good as it gets.

I recently bought a stainless in .45 Colt, 24" octagonal barrel. Only had it out once, but we like each other very well! An absolute joy to shoot, and I haven't even done any of the recommended mods or internal cleaning yet. We're going to be great friends. Sometimes when you handle a gun in a store you just "know" it's going to be a good one, this was one of those times. Like when you pick out the best puppy from a litter.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the looks of the stainless M92s, too. I've got 20" stainless in 357 and 44. The only thing the 357 won't feed is wadcutters in 38 brass. It does feed WC in mag brass. I only use mag brass in the 44 and it feeds everything, including wadcutters.

The bad: Both extractor springs were way too strong. Empties nearly went into orbit. The loading gate spring was too strong and sometimes caused jams while loading. New extractor springs from Stevesgunz fixed the first problem and a dremel and Steve's video fixed the second. The only other problem is that I have to spend more time casting and reloading because we shoot the rifles more than we do pistols.

The good: Lots of fun. Young shooters love the 357 with light load 38s. Tuned up actions cycle with one finger. Accuracy is good enough that even beginners can easily break clay pigeons off hand at 35 yds and then hit the larger pieces. I put Steve's bolt mounted peep on both. They are light and handy. They look cool. Price is much better than other brands in stainless.

The ugly: My wife says two of them is enough.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Never owned a lever action rifle,so have a couple of 357 mag revolvers and like the looks of the Rossi 92 in stainless with the walnut stock, so what is the good, the bad and the ugly about the Rossi 92 levergun?
    I think it will serve you fine. A lot of people like to tweak on their belongings to personalize and make them "their own." I don't think you really need to in my experience. I worked on slicking one up, and the other one not. They both shoot about the same. I do like being able to load the one on the gate spring I worked over though. The rifles have about the fit, finish, and material use you would expect for a rifle in this price range. They are pretty rugged and robust. I use them for scabbard rifles. I did add a steel follower to one of them, the other still has the plastic one. Both of mine seem fine. They are pretty fun to shoot with light recoil ideal for young shooters or taking out plinking. I think the stocks are made from the same wood as you see on a forklift pallet.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Vendor Sponsor

I think the stocks are made from the same wood as you see on a forklift pallet.
    How dare you insult a pallet like that
    Wood can run from AK plain to some decent grain ..luck if the draw
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Rossi 92

As I have posted before, I have had a 16" Stainless 92 in .357 Mag since March of 2013. I haven't really tuned it with exception of the Magazine Follower & Spring, I went with Stainless. I have shot about 800 rounds through it and it is getting smoother everytime I shoot it. It is just the right size to carry on the Side-by-Side and ATV's, really easy to pack & acceptable 100 yard accuracy. I think you would really Like one ......

Edit: I have put a Skinner Peep on it, easy to shoot well.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Bub
    My Rossi .45 Colt is A decent gun. The Stainless .357 I had was scrap metal. When I finally got it back from Rossi it was working sort of scrap metal. I dumped it cheap.

Boolit Master
    We have had a number of Rossi '92s in the friends and family circle. I can relate to all of the comments above.

My favorite is a 24" 45 Colt. Worked great out of the box, fair wood but fitted perfectly. We have run thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup.

If possible, try to select your rifle in person.

I've had three and they all needed tweaking to run right. But they all were accurate and the wife's .357 will do 2" at 100yds easily. I wish I still had the 44-40 Rossi. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Is it true that Steve's Guns now does warranty work and/or factory authorized service on Rossi lever actions? I remember reading that somewhere.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.