Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bullet casts heavier when ladle pouring

Boolit Buddy

Bullet casts heavier when ladle pouring

I cast my second batch of minnies today with my Lyman 575213OS. I've never ladle poured before, other than to cast a very few and decide I like bottom pour better, but today I thought I'd give it another shot. After only a few, I had the hang of it and found that I had a lot less rejects due to voids at the core pin. Well, after casting 100-150 or so, I shut down the furnace and weighed my bullets. These things weighed 10 grains more than the first batch I did a couple of weeks ago. Exact same alloy. Pure lead from Rotometals. Same temperature. 800F on my PID. They are suppose to weigh 460 grains, but the first ones ranged something like 492-496. These today were 503-507. When weighing these, I had maybe 15 that were in the 198 gr range, then a big jump to the 503-507 range. I suspect that the few light ones were a few that I had bottom poured today. Couldn't prove it, but I suspect it. What the heck is going on? Were the ones I thought were good the other day full of voids? They shot OK.

Boolit Master

The ladle pour puts a little more pressure on the lead going into the mold and gives you a better fill. If you use a magnifying lense, you can see the difference along the edges of the grooves. They will be a little sharper on the ladle filled. That is where the extra weight is coming from.

Boolit Master

Do not worry or give it a second thought.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Use a smaller ladle.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

keep doing what your doing, the ladle will do a better job of filling out the larger boolits.
    I usually use 400grs as the cut off point between bottom pour and ladle casting.

Boolit Master

Pure lead does not fill out as well as a lead alloy with tin in it. Given that, those noting the incomplete filling out of the grooves and bands on your boolit using pure lead in the bottom pour pot make a lot of sense.

If you ever change your alloy, it would be interesting to run the same mould with both types of pots using an alloy of say 1 to 20 and compare the boolits' weight from the two methods.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Guys. I'll keep ladle pouring on these big ones. It worked pretty well. I'll keep an eye on my weights and look for consistency.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    keep doing what your doing, the ladle will do a better job of filling out the larger boolits.
    I usually use 400grs as the cut off point between bottom pour and ladle casting.
    Been my experience as well but I went a different route to fix this problem. I make my own bottom pour melters and I made one with a larger diameter hole in the spout to allow more volume of melt/time. The tiny stream from commercial pots is insufficient to properly fill 350gr> cavities, IMHO.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    I would like to see some info from people with Magma and Ballisti-cast bullet casting machines as opposed to ladle casting.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can tweek the drop from your bottom pour. Just be sure and keep the leadd as a steady stream and not beading up.
    I have limited experience with ladle pour, but get quality boolits from a LEE botton pour.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin