Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Roll of lead?

Roll of lead?

I just had a guy who buys jigs off me, bring in a "roll" of lead about 1/16" thick x 2'
    wide. The lead has heavy brown paper rolled up with it. The lead is so soft you can
    tear it with your hands. Guy had no idea where it came from, or purpose. I've had a lot of XRay sheathing, and flashing lead, this stuff is a lot thinner and softer. I'm
    thinking it may have been used for gaskets, back in the day. Anyone run into this,
    1st for me, and I've seen tons of lead from many applications, but nothing like this.

Sounds like roof flashing, like for around a chimney. Very soft and about the lowest BHN lead available that's great for ML balls.

No, I've got hundreds of lbs of different flashings, and sheathings for XRay, sound proofing,
    cables, ect. I have got scraps of gasket lead that is much heavier and not as soft. Comes from
    seals on water intake pumps at power plants. The roll is about 4" in dia. Was in a cardboard
    tube, with tin bottom. Lid wasn't with it and no label remained on degraded tube. Since post
    another guy suggested it may be some kind of Machinist shim stock. I believe the original roll
    was about 6", according to diameter of tube.

Boolit Master

gauge lead. you stick some in a machined fitting and when assembled then disassembled it will tell you the tolerance of the fit. roto metals still sells something like it.

Rancher, that makes sense, going to check that out. To thin and packaged with to much care to
    be flashing. It is so soft you can almost work it like putty in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    gauge lead. you stick some in a machined fitting and when assembled then disassembled it will tell you the tolerance of the fit. roto metals still sells something like it.
    thanks rancher1913
    I got some Lead like that also, at an auction, but wasn't rolled with a paper divider, mine is much wider (40") but thin and soft, almost handles like paper. This auction also had a bunch of machinist tools, lathe and mill and lots of metal stock. I kind of wondered what it was used for as well? thanks.
    Last edited by solderboy; 07-20-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Yeah, that's likely gauge lead. Similar to plastigauge used to measure clearances in bearings, machined fits, etc. The sheet type can be extruded say inside a metal stamping die for example. Soft enough to conform, stiff enough to hold it's shape for measuring.
    Last edited by 6622729; 07-21-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Banned

I am betting sheathing for lining Xray rooms. I have a sim roll my dentist gave me when he went digital.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I believe Rancher is right, it's some kind of machinest gauge lead. I have all kinds of XRay lead.
    from remodels, scrap cut offs still rolled and the old stuff they tore out. This stuff is a lot different.