WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titegroup Powder with ESPC Bullets

Boolit Bub

Interesting thread. I have been using TG for .45 & .38 special. My preference for any of my shooting is light loads that are accurate - not interested in PF.

To me means no worse than 1.5" at 50 feet off a rest, which ain't awesome but its ok. With .45 acp & .38 spl I can do that, but struggle with 9mm and cast bullets or PC'ed. Its acceptable as hitting a 6" circle buts that it. My fairly extensive testing at many charges has not given me any encouragement, and I too have seen key-holes in addition to wide groups. Plated gives me 'best' consistency.

I recently started trying PC bullets and noticed increased pressure for the powder charge as plated - very snappy. Wondering if that is expected or not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomline View Post
    Interesting thread. I have been using TG for .45 & .38 special. My preference for any of my shooting is light loads that are accurate - not interested in PF.

To me means no worse than 1.5" at 50 feet off a rest, which ain't awesome but its ok. With .45 acp & .38 spl I can do that, but struggle with 9mm and cast bullets or PC'ed. Its acceptable as hitting a 6" circle buts that it. My fairly extensive testing at many charges has not given me any encouragement, and I too have seen key-holes in addition to wide groups. Plated gives me 'best' consistency.

I recently started trying PC bullets and noticed increased pressure for the powder charge as plated - very snappy. Wondering if that is expected or not.
    Yes, TG works much better in a 45 ACP. A light load of 4.2 grains with a 200 grain bullet will group under 2" at 25 yards at approximately 700 fps, but as the charge increases so does the size of the groups. Just so many better powder choices both for velocity and accuracy. Did I mention it is also a dirty powder?

Boolit Bub

Yeah it is a bit dirty, but its one of the cheaper ones and readily accessible. Whether the gun is left a little dirty or a lot - I still have to clean them the same, so no big deal. I'm more interested in repeat-ability and accuracy.

I recently started trying PC bullets and noticed increased pressure for the powder charge as plated - very snappy.
    Well since PC is a harder surface than soft lead greased with monkey snot I've notice that they feel different, but I feel the difference with cast and jacketed. I treat PC pistol bullets like jacketed for loading purposes when approaching max. For midrange target stuff I load the same charge.

I rate TG as a very dirty powder and real dirty when shot with lead. PC gives me a pretty clean pistol so I use a clean burning powder. I have learned to hate cleaning pistols shot with lead and lube so I don't shoot lead anymore. Since I shoot around a 1000 rounds a month, clean is important to me.

Powder is readily available in Florida now and TG and HP38/Win 231 are about the same price. You use less TG but you pay for it in dirty guns and marginal accuracy in some loads. It is what it is......

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed that Powder Valley is keeping more pistol powders in stock as of late. HS-6, HP38, even 231. It's nice to be able to to fill the powder magazine without mortgaging the house!