MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Question about value of antique Thumler's Tumbler

Boolit Bub

PICS ADDED Question about value of antique Thumler's Tumbler

I am going to list an antique at thumbler's Tumbler and use the money to purchase other reloading gear. I have no idea on the value. It has all the parts and works. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler2.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	171064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler3.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	171065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler1.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	171063
    Last edited by Rugerman; 06-27-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Pics Added

Boolit Master
    It this a wood frame machine with2 metal cans Or copper drum. maybe a picture would help
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub
    Pics added

Boolit Master
    It's not really an "antique." They are still being made and sold. You should be able to Google the current price.

I bought a well-used one with the big hexagonal drum at a gun show for $35, but that was 15 years ago. Yours has the smaller rock polishing drums, so it wouldn't handle quite as many dirty cases. Somebody wanting to upgrade would have to buy the big drum, at least.

On the other hand, mine had been used by a gun club for an unknown, but obviously considerable time, and has since been used probably at least once a month. It has worn out at least four belts and two head gaskets and just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny. They are GOOD machines!

You might ask a third of the as-new cost in today's inflated shin-plasters and see what happens. On the other hand, you might want to keep it yourself, just in case.

This professional appraisal worth every penny you paid for it, of course.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you so much for the information. That's what makes this site so great.

Boolit Master
    Isn't an antique at least 100 years old?
    Is there a tumbler museum somewhere?

Boolit Master
    Remember a family selling a civil war musket. Guy comes to inspect and tells them it isn't from the civil war.
    Family says yes it is, they just replaced the barrel twice, the stock three times, and the lock work once or twice, but it is still their family's civil war musket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Remember a family selling a civil war musket. Guy comes to inspect and tells them it isn't from the civil war.
    Family says yes it is, they just replaced the barrel twice, the stock three times, and the lock work once or twice, but it is still their family's civil war musket.
    Oh, you heard about our musket?!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    As long as the original hole in the barrel is there it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Antique ? My Model B is older than that AR-2 and we are still going strong...

Brand new AR-2 sell for about $120 - $125 , used ones $60 - $65 if lucky , S40 - $50 would be all that I would pay for that one , not big enough for serious case cleaning . Those 2- 3 lb. barrels just don't hold that much. That's a 6 lb. capacity between them. I would spring for something larger, the model B has 1 - 15 lb. barrel , more room for more cases . Like the wife says..."size matters" .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-28-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    The AR-2 is more than adequate for the average handloader. the dual drum can handle a days shooting without problem. Most handloader and the Companies who sell them think they have to get the Bigger model. that means more media, mose cases.. American tumbler Co. now all have Given up there larger machines Over 25LB. , Co. like Lortone, Covington, diamond pacific have gone to Multiples of 12's or 15's.
    At one Time i had a 95 Lb Diamond pacific . . You needed an engine Hoist to Place on the carriage. . Most have even spopped making 40's
    Her is a Photo of covington newer models 36 lb. on 3 drums for multipls use
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost