WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Second Smelt - Range Scrap

Boolit Bub

Second Smelt - Range Scrap

For the second smelt, I weighed my raw bullets and added 30 pounds to the dutch oven/jet burner apparatus. When the initial charge had melted and jackets were skimmed, I added another 40 pounds. Bottom line, I recovered 54 pounds in ingots, 77%. That's a little better than I thought I would do.

I didn't weigh my starting charge on the first smelt, so I'm not sure of the yield.

This one went a little smoother than the first, but my fluxing and ingot pouring technique still have a ways to go. I cast two boolits to use for hardness test sometime next week.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I lost track of the numbers of re-melts I have performed. Just part of the hobby that most do not worry about or keep count of.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like you are off to a good start. As you do more you will find easier or faster ways and maybe even make some equipment changes. My biggest recommendation is to not have an accident because of getting in a hurry or cutting corners. You are getting a good yield from your range scrap.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    You are getting a good yield from your range scrap.
    I was pleased and surprised with the yield. Also was a little less stressed on this one compared to the first one.

Boolit Buddy
    You added range scrap to a pot of molten lead? That's a recipe for disaster. There are too many places for moisture to hide, especially in range scrap. It only takes a drop of water to summon the Tinsel Fairy!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    You added range scrap to a pot of molten lead? That's a recipe for disaster. There are too many places for moisture to hide, especially in range scrap. It only takes a drop of water to summon the Tinsel Fairy!
    Duly noted, and thank you.

Smelting is always fun. Hang on to the copper jackets. You sell them back to the scrap yard.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    It's always safest to add lead to an empty pot. Bringing it up to melting temperature ensures that any moisture is long since boiled away.
    Last edited by websterz; 06-11-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he said, in spades!!! Get two dutch ovens and always load a cold one and you will never have a problem!!! Good luck to you.Oh, and a lid is very nice too. Might help keep tinsel witch from showing up. Be safe, have fun.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Or worse - a live round that sneaks in can do some pretty spectacular stuff - if moisture brings the tinsel fairy - a live round will summon the tinsel banshee.

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^True Dat!^^^

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have smelted over a ton of range lead and found live rounds in the mix more then one time. I always start with a fresh batch of scrap never adding to any lead that has been melted. I also found fluxing with used motor oil will free the lead from the jackets more to the added surface heat from the oil burning I think. Then fluxing again to remove the dirt before casting ingots sometimes I flux more depending on how much trash I get after fluxing.
    I was after the lead but selling the jackets to the scrap yard paid for a few new toys.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
    Or worse - a live round that sneaks in can do some pretty spectacular stuff - if moisture brings the tinsel fairy - a live round will summon the tinsel banshee.
    I once accidentally picked up a live primer when sweeping lead spatter off the floor. When I added it to the pot, it made things exciting for a moment!
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I have smelted over a ton of range lead and found live rounds in the mix more then one time. I always start with a fresh batch of scrap never adding to any lead that has been melted. I also found fluxing with used motor oil will free the lead from the jackets more to the added surface heat from the oil burning I think. Then fluxing again to remove the dirt before casting ingots sometimes I flux more depending on how much trash I get after fluxing.
    I was after the lead but selling the jackets to the scrap yard paid for a few new toys.
    I had much the same experience. I could never figure out how to use sawdust to flux range scrap, and oil of any kind seemed to coat the jackets, and make the lead flow out much easier. I have used regular kitchen vegetable oil with great success.

Selling the jackets to the scrap yard is kind of the icing on the cake.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    Smelt.............Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smelter.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	170855

melt..............Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reclaiming4.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	170856

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mutley.gif 
Views:	178 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	170857

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Smelts ...

Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Is that Doe Run?
    My brothers feet smelt too.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    Update: Hardness was 9.2 BHN on both boolits from batch described in OP.

I conducted a third smelt, melt, rendering or whatever we're calling it, yesterday. I got the same percent yield that I got on the batch described in the OP, 77%. 3X flux with pine sawdust, and 1X flux with Gulf wax. I fluxed one more time with paraffin about half way through pouring ingots. I'll check hardness next week. Third batch went a little better with respect to fluxing, pouring etc. This is a learning process.