Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Just a observation on Lee mold / sizer

Boolit Mold

Just a observation on Lee mold / sizer

I ordered a Lee CTL-312-160-2R and a Lee .314 push through sizer.
    Casting with #2 alloy, the bullets dropped @ .315 - .316 As a comparison the mold ordered from Mountain molds ($85) Ordered to drop .270 for my 6.5 Carcano, drops .270 - .277, not very accurate. When the Lee mold bullets are sized in the .314 sizer, they are .315 - .3155. These measurements are same bullet multiple measurements. Out of round measuring. Lee is almost perfect for my rifles, as my Arisaka slugs @ .3145 and my Mosin and SKS slugs @ .316.

Moderator Emeritus

I suspect your measuring technique, are you using a Caliper or a Mic ?
    Otherwise you have a lot of tooling, made by more than one source, that are making the wrong size boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Hornady caliper. Picking 5 bullets at random from each casting session. All are within these measuresments

Moderator Emeritus

I'd recommend getting a good quality 1" Mic for boolit work.
    I use one like this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NNM7ACQZG9H1CZ
    like most all Mics, this one has a built in slip clutch, to limit the pressure you put on lead alloy, giving you a good and repeatable measurement. While many here claim that they can get good and repeatable measurements with a caliper, I am skeptical, as I know I can't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 ^ ^ ^ ^ Excellent advice.

It's almost impossible to get a true accurate measurement on a round boolit with a set of calipers. I keep a set of digital calipers on my bench and I use they a lot to check cartridge length, case length, etc. and I do use them to check boolit diameter but only as a quick check. If I want to have an accurate measure on the diameter, I pull out my 1" micrometer. I was taught machining when many micrometers did not have a "slip clutch" on the end of the handle. You had to teach yourself to use the same turn pressure each time on the mic. to get consistent measurements. The nice thing about a micrometer with a slip clutch on the handle is that it takes the guesswork out of putting equal pressure on your handle turn each time and will provide consistent measurements. Just remember to check your micrometer with a gauge block or close it to make sure it is "zeroed out" before measuring . . . and keep the anvil and the spindle end of the micrometer wiped clean . . . a little bit of dirt can easily add .0005.

Boolit Master
    The Lee machining and final sizing is just meant to get you in the right ballpark as to size.

Boolit Mold
    Bought a Micrometer, delivered today. Remeasured everything. Will cut and paste the original thread, changing the values to the new measurements. I ordered a Lee CTL-312-160-2R and a Lee .314 push through sizer.
    Casting with #2 alloy, the bullets dropped @ .3135 As a comparison the mold ordered from Mountain molds ($85) Ordered to drop .270 for my 6.5 Carcano, drops .270 - .277, not very accurate (noticed a 'seam' on the casts, mold not closing). Lee is almost perfect for my rifles, mold and sizer to seat GC. As my Arisaka slugs @ .3135 and my Mosin .314and SKS slugs @ .3135. Better to use the right tool for the job. Still a bit of time to work up the 'best' load. Well, like that ever ends. I just bought a VZ24, so another year working on this one. Isn't learning fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to but that 312-160 if it casts too big for you.Mine casts perfect 311.Not so good for what I need but perfect for my 308 .