Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Type 54 (Chi-Com) Tokarev, and you are correct--it is quite flat in aspect. Citizen CCW folks have a lot more latitude in carry choices than I do, since HR 218 got traction my choices got severely circumscribed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Yes, but you got a lot of free ammo out of the deal, no?

An old Eighth Air Force B-17 pilot told me their base (Molesworth) had a trap range, locker full of shotguns, and aircrew gunners were encouraged to shoot unlimited amounts of ammo. Sounds like a great job until you think about those hours in an unpressurized plane at 30,000 feet (-60 deg) with the 88s reaching for you. On raid mornings they got real eggs and grapefruit juice. Seventy years later he still got queasy if he smelled eggs and grapefruit juice.

Back to the point. Best carry pistol is one you practice with.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually.......there has been not one round of free ammo since retirement, and practice ammo was VERY scarce for most of the years I worked. If I wanted to practice, I had to reload my own 95% of the time. (How truly hateful..... The shop didn't grouse (back then) about me scrounging fired brass to recycle, but even that has changed now--I saw HUGE plastic tubs filled with brass being carted away for resale during my last quals session in April.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

No ammo. But they want to charge every LEO who reacts imperfectly when suddenly confronted with unclear but troubling information . . . it takes a lot of RAM just to operate a pistol unless you're well practiced. Doesn't leave much to process other critical information.

Anyway, kudos for all those years loading when presumably you didn't have a Dillon 650.

Downside of 7.62x25 for carry is reloading being complicated by bottleneck cases and recovering the brass. That militates for a quality .38, heap of brass, a mould, and Bullseye.

Boolit Master

I too enjoy the Yugo M-57 for carry and am a fan of Clarks writings. That is a great combination of size and power.

Boolit Buddy
    Summer carry Glock 43 or XDS45 . Winter I carry Springfield Champion in 45acp .

Boolit Buddy
    Kimber Ultra RCP 11 .45 with a green lazer. Pocket holster in summer and inside belt holster in winter.

Boolit Master

Colt Delta Elite. I practice with this a lot and am comfortable with it.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Ruger LCP in a "sticky" brand pocket holster. Loaded with Hornady critical defense ammo.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master
    My primary varies between a 5" 1911 .45, a 4" Ruger Security Six .357, and a 4 5/8" Ruger original Vaquero in .45 Colt, depending on location/weather/mood. My BUG is always a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 .357. The only time this varies is when I am kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing or doing something else where I expect me and my gun to get wet, and I carry a Glock 17 for those times, mostly cause it is easier and cheaper to replace should something go wrong, and I just don't like it as much as the others.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Been carrying my Glock 42 IWB the past few weeks and love it. Perfect match of gun and cartridge. In spite of the very stiff trigger pull it is just as accurate as my 19 and 26 and eats anything you feed it, including boolits. By the way, OEM rear sights for the larger pistols work perfectly if you trim the sides a little bit to accommodate the narrower slide. I sand the ends smooth and blacken with a magic marker, looks factory. The 6.5 mm rear sight produces a perfect 6 o'clock point of impact with every load I've tried, including factory j-words and the excellent Lee 356-102-2R.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

1911 Colt Commander & Ruger LCP. When working outside around the homestead a S&W 10.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Banned
    right now i have a rossi snub nose in 38 sp. when it gets here i'll be carrying a ruger sbh with a 4 5/8" barrel in the 44 mag with uncle mike's side hip holster.

What sort of model 10 do you have? I have a 10-5 and 10-10, great revolvers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What sort of model 10 do you have? I have a 10-5 and 10-10, great revolvers.
    Had to look. It's a 10-10. Police trade in. Had some wear but mechanically perfect. Shoots better than I can shoot it. First two I carry birdshot followed with 162 gr RCBS gc swc's.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Sounds like a winner! My 10-5 is from the estate of a Lexington cop. Lots of holster wear but no rust and mechanically excellent, I bet it could tell some stories. It shoots 150-162 grain boolits perfectly and I'm not worried about the finish so this one accompanies me when hunting and hiking.

My 10-10 is from a batch that somehow escaped to the free world from the California Dept. of Corrections. My 10-10 must have been one of the last they ever purchased as it appears to have spent most of it's life in storage. No holster wear whatsoever and the checkering on the grips is perfect. Only the faintest turn ring on the cylinder suggests it was ever fired.

I also have a 1988 Ruger Service Six .38 in stainless. It is my favorite handgun and, I think, the ultimate evolution of the medium frame wheelgun.

Banned

you guys are lucky to be able to have cc choices.

in the liberal happy, penal colony state i'm held captive in, when confronted with a weapon wielding assailant, the best thing i can cc is a whistle to summon non-existent police who will arrive in time only to toe tag my cold corpse.

RFD, your words have not fallen on deaf ears. I think about that frequently and am very thankful that I live in a progressive and forward thinking state. We'll be happy to roll out the welcome mat for you here in the Bluegrass!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    RFD, your words have not fallen on deaf ears. I think about that frequently and am very thankful that I live in a progressive and forward thinking state. We'll be happy to roll out the welcome mat for you here in the Bluegrass!
    thank ya, sir.

i have about 2 more years on my "sentence", and then maw and i are headed south.

Boolit Master
    I think I finally have my ideal 2 gun set up 90 percent of the time its my 5 inch 1911 in a shoulder rig and when I need something smaller I use the 938.

See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com