WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Swaging bullets for use in high power .458 applications

Boolit Mold

Swaging bullets for use in high power .458 applications

Hello all, new user from Norway here.

I've been thinking about swaging my own bullets for use in my 460 weatherby, and when ideas like
    this start to creep into my brain i can't let them go. I doubt the final product would be cheaper
    (especially since i shoot very low volume) or better than factory bullets. I also know that i
    probably could get all i wanted from Corbin, but doing it yourself and making it work is all the fun
    for me. I might even learn a thing or two in the process.
    I'd like to run some basic ideas by you guys and see if i'm way off in my thinking. I've also included some sketches to further illustrate my point.

My idea was to use 308 brass as jackets, and bond a cast or bought lead core in them.
    At first i started drawing full dies in solidworks, but i soon figured out that PTG sells die blanks
    for a fair price. These have a standard 7/8-14 thread and are pre-drilled with pilot
    holes through the entire die. The blanks are $20 each.

1: The core swaging die would start off as a die blank with a .40 caliber pilot hole in it. I'd be
    drilling lead evacuation holes in the side of the die, just like a normal core swage. The only thing
    left to do would be to make a ram that fits the piston in my rock chucker, and close off the top of
    the die in some way (discussed a little further down)

2. The precut 308 brass would be put on a tray and pre-treated with some sort of flux (maybe sprayed
    into them), and the lead cores dropped in each of them. Then I would heat the brass to annealing
    temperatures. This would also bond the lead to the brass and help it flow into the flash holes. This
    can either be done with conventional methods like propane torches or oven/grill solutions, or i
    could use an inductive heater on each one.

3. Clean and dry the brass with the lead bonded into them.

4. Form the bullet with a core seating die. This can be made from a die blank with a .45 caliber
    pilot hole, reamed up to the correct size. The bullet enters the die backwards and is swaged with a slightly undersize
    press ram, like in the images below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet swage 1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	165039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeuNa2r.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	165040

5. Point form the bullets. I'm thinking one could use the same die as in step 4 here. The bullet
    would need to go into the die tip first this time, and be pressed into an ogive shaped insert that
    would double as a pushrod to help push the bullet out. The press ram used for this would need to be a tight fit

Name:	aHDuy94.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	165041 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1NLWf91.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	165042

My main concerns are:

Swaging large caliber bullets like this might put a real strain on my trusty rock chucker (and also
    on my arm!). Even if i put a longer load arm on the press, it might be necessary to use a hydraulic
    press of some sort.

The cap on the die would have to be really strong if it is to be screwed on from the outside, or even with inside threads.
    A better solution would be to make an internal shoulder in the die for the top piston to rest against,
    and then use this as a pushrod to dispense the bullet/lead core (this is the solution that is illustrated in the drawings above). The drawback is that when a bullet
    is stuck in the die, it's not easy to get it out. This would also mean that i would have to buy die
    blanks with smaller pilot holes before drilling and reaming the bottom of the die to the right
    dimensions.
    If I make a custom press, one could apply the pressure at the top of the die,
    effectively eliminating the stress on any threads that hold the die top cap in place.

Bonding the lead to the brass before swaging, will this affect the bullet forming process?

I don't I I think you be fine with rc press. Threads are more than strong enough to hold dies. I haven't found that bonding lead into jacket affects swaging process. D

Perm-Banned
    i swage for my two 45/70/s but they dont do the ft per second yours does. i paperpatch these swagged bullet. could swagged paperpatched bullet stand the ft. per second your pushing your bullet at?

I'm at work (remote site in Alaska) for the next three weeks and don't have my setup in front of me but, yes, it is entirely possible to make .458 bullets from .308 brass. I've been running then in a .458WinMag up to standard velocities 500gr @ 2100 fps, 400gr to 2500, etc.

It's also possible to make up to 350 grain bullets with .45ACP brass and up to 600 grain bullets with any '06 head size. I'm sure you could draw 6.5x55mm brass too. My setup is a home made press that takes Walnut Hill style dies. I made everything but the point forming die (bought a Corbin S-type and made an adapter) but can't say the commercial PF die works any better than the few I've made myself.

I haven't tried core bonding yet and the bullets do seem a bit on the fragile side. Most of the recovered jackets are thoroughly mangled and have shed the cores. This is with a pure lead core and fully annealed case jacket.

You might want to do a few searches on point forming dies as I believe the general consensus is that the full diameter nose forming punch in your drawing has to have a very thin edge at the junction of the die wall and has a tendency to fail in use. Most of the jacketed bullet PF dies I've seen are made with a blind hole shaped to the bullet ogive with a small ejector pin at the tip.

Boolit Mold
    Really appreciate all the input.

PWS: i've noted that the PF dies often have an ejector pin, but my thought was that the thin edge at the junction would be supported by the die wall. It would also be possible to pre-crimp the 308 case mouth before running it trough the PF die. Maybe this would help avoid deformation on the thin edge of the nose forming punch due to the case mouth catching the thin lip.

Boolit Man
    Hi Smevik
    I have been making bullets from 308 brass and similar calibers for my 425 Westley Richards for some time now with great result. My way of doing them: I cut them to length, annealing, clean away all the scales using a tumbler and stainless media, drawing them to right size. Then i take a core and place in the jacket with a drop of Corbins core bonding agent and heat with a propan torch. I also think you might stress your RCBS press, i am using a Corbin S press. If you make a search on 425 Westley Richards here on site you can have a look at what i have done
    Good luck
    Mathias

I like your drawings. They show exactly as I have been thinking.

Your RC press will be fine just anneal your cases adequately. RCBS does make a solid ram for them with a threaded hole in the center to thread your base pin into which also holds the ejection frame in place.

I have made .458s from 45acp brass and a few reloading dies and it is not difficult.

Sounds like you may have a lathe? If so, you can start with a 7/8-14 bolt for about $5 or $1 at the surplus store. I'm just learning how to do this so my finish is crappy and I started out with the wrong alloy bolt but a good practice run...

Last edited by Huvius; 04-03-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Huvius
    I haven't got a lathe (yet), but i've been preparing the old missus to allow me to build my own workshop when we move house For now it's all about reading up on machining, since my education is within acoustics and electronics.
    I'm hoping i'll be able to borrow some lathe time from acquaintances though, and buying die blanks will cut down on machine time.

The drawings are kinda thrown together to illustrate a point, and not to scale. I'll redraw them with proper dimensions before i move ahead with the project

Math: That's a cool caliber you have there. I love it!

The .460 boolit does best at 1450fps, no reason to go any faster, unless you just like hurting yourself.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I know a forum member who likely had a set of 458 dies for walnut hill

Banned

I'd be inclined to measure some 38 special cases.
    turning the rim off would be a 2 second proposition.

Run, perhaps you mean .44s?

Banned

yeah something like that.
    too many ideas running around in my head sometimes.

Boolit Bub
    Its indeed possible, pictured are some early attempts from this side.
    308 brass with the rim and neck turned off, annealled, core seated using a 45 ACP seating die and a lee push thru sizer 45 acp stem. Neck formed with a 308

sizing die and then trimmed on a lathe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	166614

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SAndy37 View Post
    Its indeed possible, pictured are some early attempts from this side.
    308 brass with the rim and neck turned off, annealled, core seated using a 45 ACP seating die and a lee push thru sizer 45 acp stem. Neck formed with a 308

sizing die and then trimmed on a lathe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	166614
    Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Bub

Name:	reloading 458 stage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	168252
    Similar to Sandy I use a various full length size dies to form. I draw down 45 ACP brass, add a 44 mag core and it equals a 335gr hp that I use in my 458 SOCOM. These were my first attempts done as a proof of concept, hence the unpolished state. Not really a high power application, but I did try this with some berdan 308 brass and it worked just as well. Though I've never shot the 470gr made from 308 brass...

Boolit Master
    Just a word of caution about using your Rock Chucker press. The ram is soft steel and as such I distorted the top and the pin holes on one several years ago making tubing jacketed 45-70 bullets. Perhaps the newer ones are better but I doubt they are hardened or they wouldn't offer the solid one for swaging.

After the above incident I made up a much stronger press for swaging bullets and haven't used a RC for anything larger than 6 MM since.

Good luck with your project.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.