Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10mm bullets for hunting?

Boolit Grand Master
    The only "caveat" I would lever in here would be the same I'd give one of the Rice Rocket HondaMotor race-car mavens--running mechanisms at upper end of safety margins shortens mechanism lifespans in most cases. That is all.

800-X, eh? That is MISERABLE stuff to meter, about like sub-compact hockey-pucks.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

ya, its not my plinking round that's for sure but it will drop an elk. its just amazing to get that power out of an auto pistol.

Boolit Master

Didn't i read somewhere that Ted Nugent killed a Cape buffalo with his 10mm?
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

to give you an idea the recoil this round makes here is Doug (dk17hmr) shooting my glock with my hot load of 210gr WFN at 1400fps+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91j-MOxKZow

Boolit Master

I bet that kind of velocity relies heavily on the pink muffs. If you were to sport camo, olive drab, or something else girly, you will likely only reach about 1000fps, and this is purely scientifical.

Boolit Master

I recently ran off some 10mm loads with 200gr condom h/ps using AA9 and was amazed at how clean this stuff burns. I used new Starline cases and after shooting the brass still looked new inside. I'm impressed. 12.5gr of that stuff works quite nicely. Pink ear muffs of course.

Wilson, a wide flat nose is important for a solid bullet to be lethal, but with an auto there are trade-offs. Generally, the wider the nose, the shorter the cartridge OAL must be, both for feeding and magazine fit. That of course effects powder space. I designed #40190P in the Accuratemolds.com catalog for the 40 S&W Glock, and several mold blocks gave their lives in the effort. I'd sure like to know how it fits the Glock 20. The SAAMI spec for allowable bullet nose outside the case is .017 shorter for the 10mm, but since the nose length in the Glock 40 is limited by the rounded edges of the double-stack magazine, it might fit just fine. I'll send you some boolits to try if you PM me your contact info.

Wilson, you could contact Veral Smith at LBT about a WFN bullet mold for 10mm. Double Tap uses his bullets in one of their loadings.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,195115.0.html

Here is his email address: LBTisAccuracy@localnet.com

I have several of his molds and I think they are top quality molds. In fact, I just got a four cavity 180 gr WFN mold from him but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Good luck,

Ken Gordon
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Wilson, a wide flat nose is important for a solid bullet to be lethal, but with an auto there are trade-offs. Generally, the wider the nose, the shorter the cartridge OAL must be, both for feeding and magazine fit. That of course effects powder space. I designed #40190P in the Accuratemolds.com catalog for the 40 S&W Glock, and several mold blocks gave their lives in the effort. I'd sure like to know how it fits the Glock 20. The SAAMI spec for allowable bullet nose outside the case is .017 shorter for the 10mm, but since the nose length in the Glock 40 is limited by the rounded edges of the double-stack magazine, it might fit just fine. I'll send you some boolits to try if you PM me your contact info.
    the meplat for your 40sw boolit seams a little overly large. i made mine at 72% and its just about perfect. the WFN that Double tap uses i would consider to have to large of a meplat.

this is what i did to solve my long bullet problem, but these rounds are seated very long at 1.39" vs 1.26" book max

Boolit Master

It feeds those eh?
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Grand Master
    Slick. I like it. A lot.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I'll agree with the 72% meplant idea here I have a keith style bullet for my 10mms that I copied from and article by Glenn on the .401 powermag and it is a very accurate hard hitting slug!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Banned

There is a 10mm 200gr Group buy going on now.

Not a WFN but should have adequate meplat for hunting, plus you can get the HP option if you want.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank a million Kodiakken! I have contacted Vernal Smith via e-mail. This looks like just what I need. Is your 4 cavity 180 grain bullet for use in a Glock? It seems like most folks like the 200 grain bullet, but I'm thinking the 180 grain will be good for what I'm planning.
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm."
    Proverbs 13:20

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Thanks JT for sharing the data and details of your load and experiences.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on water quenched wheel weights being pushed to 1,100 to 1,200 fps or 1,300 fps or more? Is the hardness of a lead bullet a factor at these velocities or a non-issue?
    I was hoping to get a mold recommendation. It seems folks have been having trouble with the Lyman molds, would RCBS or another be the better choice?
    Hi, I am using a RCBS mould, 180gr round nose in 10mm. They go from the melter, to the mould then into the 5 gal water bucket. I should have mentioned using straight wheel weights. At 100 yards I'm well with in the kill zone with either my Glock 20 or my S&W 610-3 (~ three inch barrel). Hockey pucks and empty soda cans,, no problem. They leave the bore at ~ 1350 fps with no signs of leading. And no, no gas check used although accuracy would improve more so. I question the 100 yard shots but if the occasion occurred there would be meat on the table. I shoot standing one hand and the recoil, to me, is no worse than my T/C 35 Rem. Lee also makes a nice mould in Al. and it's with six cavities. Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160514_104642.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	168142

This thread is really old but had to laugh at "deer drop faster than a fat guy falling through a folding camp chair" LOL

I had to ask if that WFN group buy ever went through? I bought a NOE 403 200 grain WFN mold and that seems to fit the bill nicely for a 10mm hunting boolit. My G40 seems to like this round with 13.0 grains of AA# 9 at 1.255'' with large pistol primers. Air cooled 14 BHN.

It flings the brass pretty far, does anyone use heavier recoil springs with loads like these? I was thinking of getting a heavier spring to be a little easier on the pistol.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.