Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: I broke another Blackhawk

Boolit Master

I broke another Blackhawk

I like Blackhawks, I have two, shoot them alot, broke both.

The first was about a year or so ago, .45 Colt 7.5", the aluminum grip frame broke. Turns out not too uncommon, still hacked me off, but a gentleman on this board supplied me with a brass frame that I fit and it looks great, shoots well, and will last better than the aluminum frame.

Memorial Day I lost the front sight blade off my new (Christmas 2007) SSNMBH 4 5/8" .357. The load was 7.0 gr Longshot under the Group Buy 175 gr Keith SWC, 1112 fps. Not a hot load. I found the blade which dismounted in recoil, the metal under the retaining pin had broken off and turned the blade loose.

Now I do recall when I first fired the gun in January, the shots fell drastically left and the front blade was leaning considerably to the right. I pushed the blade straight and the shots fell where they should. I believe that was the root of the problem - metal fatigue. I'll guess the front sight blade recieved a blow that bent the blade, then I bent it back, starting the fracture, that increased with each recoil, until it failed.

I've just checked Midway and will order a replacement tomorrow - about $5. I'll also get one for my .45 Colt BH, and a few retaining pins, round out the order with some 8mm gas checks. Then the my world will be happy again.

I don't think I'll fault Ruger for this one, it probably happened after the BH left their hands. Still I've never had 2 cast parts literally break off the respective revolvers, and have had these two failures with BH's in about a years' time. Odd.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    The other day the tranfer bar broke in one of my 45 Bisleys. I heard it happens and now I can verify it. A couple of years ago two of my om 44 flat tops lost the ejector studs within a week of each other under mild loads and so far Ruger fixed one for free. Haven't gotten around to sending the other one. Overall, you can't beat em for the price.

Boolit Grand Master

Might call Ruger. They have sent me small parts at no charge before.

Banned

Midway's mail rape will hurt you more then the price of any parts. The cheapest place for Ruger parts is right from Ruger and many times they will be free.
    When I shot IHMSA I needed a lot of rear sight screws, they were 25 cents from Ruger, 75 cents and up anywhere else.

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    I've always gotten the little parts for free from Ruger, Not some thing I can say for Browning. They also have sent me a note with the screws and such expressing regret that I had to replace them myself. A first class act. James

Boolit Master
    Well, Thanks.

I obviously didn't think to look to Ruger to sell small parts. Its a little too late now as I did order the parts from Midway, just before I hit the road for a job. I'll keep in mind that Ruger could be a resource for unmounted sights and such.

I'm hoping the Midway package is waiting for me when I return Friday. Then maybe I'll get a chance to install the blade and continue exploring the useability of Longshot in .357. So far Longshot looks promising.

Boolit Man
    Ruger has an excellent reputation among many people for first class service and a willingness to put things right at their own expense.

Many times I've read where a firearm was returned to Ruger and repairs were made at no charge other than the shipping paid to get the gun to Ruger in the first place.

I've even read where a repair was made and a stainless steel weapon was buffed up to a new-like condition.

Of course Ruger has it's fair share of distractors and more than once let a lemon out in the market but all told, I'd rather own a Ruger than any other single action revolver out there.

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger has sent me small parts free even when I explained the loss was MY fault. I am a Ruger fan, also.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Well, I recieved the sight and other stuff from Midway, filed it to fit the slot, drilled it in the right spot for the rold pin, pinned it in and its ready to fire. I'll probably get back to those Longshot loads this weekend.

Overall I'm pleased, I love the little Blackhawk, first SS one I've had, and the first 4 inch .357 I've had. Hopefully there'll be many happy trigger pulls from now on.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a shooting pard who while shooting a string of targets @ Winter Range, (a Cowboy Action National Championship match) had the front sight fly off his fixed sighted Ruger Vaquero with mid-range loads. It was a suprise he wasn't ready for & it cost him. We did find the sight in the staw pile though. Talk about your needle in a haystack.

Banned

HEE, HEE, broke mine last week. I forgot to check the tightness of the ejector rod housing screw and the parts flew up in the air and landed on the bench when the screw sheared.
    I called and ordered a whole set of screws and 2 extra housing screws, I like to keep them on hand.
    I got them today and cleaned the hole and screw, sprayed Locktite primer on them and put new locktite on. But the darn thing still needs checked all the time. If it gets loose it will break.
    The screws were $2.00 apiece.

Now the funny one, I made a new front sight for my Vaquaro with more heighth and undercut. I just broke out the old one but did not feel like silver soldering so I glued the new one in with steel bed. I have shot it a long time now with 347 gr boolits and 21.5 gr's of 296 without it coming loose.
    One day I will make a low ramp for a replaceable sight blade.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple years back, my SRH 454 started going off by itself in single action. I'd cock it and it would just go off, sometimes. The first time, the recoil caused it to hit me in the chin. I thought I was doing something wrong until it happened two more times.
    I called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label at no cost to me. I explained that it was getting close to hunting season and I needed the gun. Everyone in the repair shop was on vacation, but would be back in two weeks, one week before hunting season starts here.
    At that point. I decided to use the 44 mag for hunting, but the SRH showed up opening day, via Fed Ex. half the sear edge was gone. They replaced the trigger,sear, and re-aligned the crane,as it was also a little off. It also came back with the best Ruger trigger I have ever seen. The best S&W hasn't got anything on this Ruger.
    Super service, abosuletly superb work and no charge. I own four Rugers and one S&W. Would I buy another Ruger? Absolutely. S&W? Maybe, if the price was right. My 44 SRH has over 20,000 rounds, mostly top end loads, and it is still as itght as a bull's butt at fly time...LOL

Boolit Bub
    Four months ago, I sent a S&W back to get rebarreled. The next day, I sent a Ruger back for an xtra cylinder. Three weeks later, the Smith returned home completed. Three MONTHS later, the ruger returned home completed. There was a lot more paper work with the Ruger, perhaps why it took so long.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Several years ago I sent my 45 BH back to Ruger for a front sight replacement and a transfer bar update. I got it back with a new blue job, new front sight, transfer bar, and a NO CHARGE invoice.