Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Hearing Protection

Boolit Master

Favorite Hearing Protection

I am looking for a set of muffs that are comfortable for long hours on the tractors and mowers. Electronics are not needed, just comfort.

Any recommendations?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

;hearing protection

I cant use muffs for hours on end,when i mow or run any power equement i use the soft foam ear plugs. I worked on freight trains and got used to wearing the plugs for 10-12 hours. I wear glasses and the muffs caused the temples to get embeded into the side of my head,and muffs get real hot. Bill

There are many out there, but in my opinion, the best of the bunch is the Straightaway Ear Protector Mod. 10A. They're made by the David Clark company, who make most of the aviation headsets in use today. They're recognizable by the "DC" on the earpieces.They also make the best of the hearing protection used by the ground crews at the airports. I've still got the first pair I purchased in 1965. The cushions are replaceable. For cowboy action and rifle shooting off a bench, I use custom molded silicon ear plugs. They run about $40, and can be found at some large gun shops. Also at gun shows, or large target matches.
    Morgan

In Remembrance
    I have always worn muffs on tractors. Mine (the old ones) are those big bulb-y looking things you see on aircraft carriers. But the plastic 'pads' have finally cracked, and they have begun to cut my skin.

So...I just bought replacements from eBay. When they arrive, I'll let you know how I like 'em.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Peltor Model 7 is the best I've found. Comfortable, effective and they sell hygiene kits to replace the foam and pads, which can get pretty ugly fast when you wear them working.

Boolit Master

Spend the extra $'s(about $40) and go get a custom fitted pair of ear plugs.
    I have a pair for all my loud noise needs, I can ware them all day without a problem.
    I would think that any ear doc could make them or know who could.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    CM, be sure you let us know. I'm still using a couple pairs that were 'issued' to me and it's time for a refurb.

Gunworks Canterbury suppressors.

.32-20 with fast twist barrel.

Rem 700 .223
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

I use foam plugs under electronic or standard muffs

At the range and shooting trap/skeet the Electronic muffs allow me to here everything , but almost totaly block the noise

I found the throw away foam plugs suit my needs better than the custom fitted silicone ones
    As I have lost a few of the right side over the years , and I don't have to clean them

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I DON'T NORMALLY WEAR EAR MUFFS OR PLUGS. YOU FELLAS NEED TO SPEAK UP A BIT AS I CAN'T HEAR YOU VERY WELL.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    I find myself wearing a set of Peltor "Shotgunner" muffs more and more these days. They are a 19 DB muff and actually go behind the head which allows me to wear a hat as needed.

Didn't used to wear a hat but as I get "More in Tune" with the hot summers here in SoCal I find the need to protect my skin more!

You may have a tough time finding these, I had to corner a guy at a gun show to get a pair! Cost me $20.00! You can get the Kits for these so it's a rebuildable set up.

Customer service number is: 800-327-3431 Peltor is located in New York, I believe, but they were very helpful when the dog at my new muffs before I got a chance to wear them!

Dog and I now have an "understanding" he doesn't touch my stuff and I don't chase him with a Bat!

Moderator Emeritus

I like the kind that has the string between the two plugs. I can pull them for hearing and replace for working. I sweat too much to wear muffs.
    The audiologist that came into work taught us to reach over your head and grasp the top of your opposite ear and lift it before inserting a rolled earplug. Leave the ear held up holding the ear canal open for 5 seconds as the plug relaxes to fit. It makes a large difference in decible protection. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Good pointer. I will try that technique.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with heavyMetal. Peltor shotgunners. Nice and slim. I find myself wearing foam earplugs and the Peltors. Very nice. When I'm not wearing the Peltor Shotgunners, I'm usually wearing foams and a set of work - radio earmuffs. I can hear the radio just fine and the big diesal just humms along.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Gunworks Canterbury suppressors.

.32-20 with fast twist barrel.

Rem 700 .223
    Jeff, You're just rubbin' it in because we can't have one. Nice converted .310 Cadet.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    There are many out there, but in my opinion, the best of the bunch is the Straightaway Ear Protector Mod. 10A. They're made by the David Clark company, who make most of the aviation headsets in use today. They're recognizable by the "DC" on the earpieces.
    DC's aren't bad--I've got four sets of them for our plane. But nothing beats the BoseX headset for comfort.

I've got one of the Bose travel headsets just to have around the house now and then when I want some peace and quiet/audible solitude. It's superb.

However, they don't work real well for shooting.

My favorite muffs are a pair of Thunderbolts I picked up at the 1992 SHOT Show in New Orleans. They are even more comfortable than ANY pair of David Clarks or Bose or Lightspeed headsets I've ever owned. Far quieter, too.

Best of all, they're only $20.

Jeff
    If every single gun owner belonged to the NRA as well as their respective state rifle/gun association, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.

Boolit Master

What's effective in electronic (cut-off) protection that fits inside ear canal or in-and-on ear like older hearing aids?

I anticipate these classes of protection will be expensive. I'm willing to spend the bucks but have no idea where to begin to look. And I don't know how to quantify "effective" when reading sound attenuation data.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    I use the bose quiet comfort 2 at work, and for comfort they can't be beat, but have not used them at the range yet. When shooting I have some custom fitted silicone plugs that do very well.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I use the Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs mostly. I have a pair of low end electronic muffs that I use when hunting, and they do quite well, altho I'm saving for some Peltor Tactical PRO Electronic Earmuffs.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Custom plugs underneath a pair of Dave Clark "Straightaways." I know, belt and suspenders. I only use the plugs for SASS. Thinking about a new set of electronics to go over the plugs.....