Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sprue plate hole welded up

Boolit Bub

Sprue plate hole welded up

I recently came into a bunch of molds, I have two RCBS molds, two bullet cavities and each has one hole in the sprue plate welded up. Is this commonly done and what are the potential reasons for doing so? Thank you.

Boolit Master
    It certainly is not commonly done. Evidently, a previous owner perceived a difference in shooting qualities in the products of the two cavities, and plugged the one he thought did less well.

Did the welding job appear to warp the sprue plate? I'd be leery of doing it for that reason, but if it works, it works.

You can probably get a new plate (two-hole) from RCBS by calling them. They might not even charge you for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive never seen it done but the norm on multi cavity moulds that have diffrences is to mark the noses with a punch mark or diffrent shapes + - O *. then sort into groups and shoot segraagated to each cavity. Only reason I can see for closing it off is if dimensions were way off as to diamaters. WHen you get to casting with these maybe when up to temp make a pour into both caviteies with the sprue plate open and measure the sizes dropped. Also would look for damage in the closed off cavities. May be as simple as previous owner tried to lap cavites and went to far on the one

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've never seen one welded up and can't imagine why anyone would want to. I have a couple of double cavity molds - neither are RCBS - that the cavities cast two different diameters - not a biggie for me as I size them. But, as mentioned, it's easy enough to mark a cavity so you can tell. If one cavity of a two cavity mold is waaaay off, how hare is it in a double cavity mold to only pour the cavity that is good? It's not rocket science when it's a two holes. Sounds like whoever owned the mold was perhaps lacking on memory? LOL country gent makes an excellent suggestion. Let us know as just out of curiosity it would be nice to know the answer to the "mystery of the welded hole".

Boolit Bub
    I'll see what I can do. The gentleman who owned them has retired to another country, but I might be able to get a message to him.

Boolit Bub
    Got my answer. It's JB Weld, I didn't inspect them very carefully as I was just sorting and unpacking in the garage. It was so black that it roughly matched the sprue plate color and lighting wasn't ideal. He said that he simply had occasions where he'd want to produce a single bullet. I didn't nudge too much to understand why? I was simply happy that it wasn't welded and the molds are all fine.

Boolit Master

Some old literature recommended the use just one cavity for more uniformity. Then the idea of marking cavities the bullets with a punch to segregate the bullets from each made sense.

My testing for accurate boolits showed that the weak link in accuracy was me.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned

I was hoping perhaps the story would go he went in 50-50 with someone and the other guy had a sprue plate just like it but with the other hole welded up.
    he sold you the molds without his partners knowledge and skipped out to south America with the proceeds.
    or maybe I watch too much Perry Mason.

In Remembrance

RCBS customer service number is 1-800-533-5000. They will probably replace both plates for free.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If its jbweld or epoxy a propane tourch shold break the bond and allow it to be removed set on thin metal plate with a hole under the glue large size down find a punch that fits thru the hole. Heat the plugged sprue hole slowly and evenly to a decent tempurature slowly soaking it to work temp thru the plate evenly. With the punch and a light hammer tap on the epoxy plug thru the sprue plate, plug should fall out and leave the original spru hole in good condition. Another way would be to spot drill thru epoxy with appropriate drill size then with a counter sink cut away top portion. Most epoxies machine pretty well and are easy to cut away

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all. I sent RCBS a message before I got in touch with the seller. I'll try the propane and punch, I like having extras of things. I also enjoyed the Perry Mason jest, because runfiverun, you were close, Central America was the destination.

Boolit Bub
    And RCBS came through. Ordered and sent to me without asking, free of charge. Old school. I'm impressed.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by atlas366 View Post
    And RCBS came through. Ordered and sent to me without asking, free of charge. Old school. I'm impressed.
    They even will replace the much older older thinner sprue plates they used to put on molds. Told you they would come thru for you.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Warm it up with a propane torch, pop out the JB weld. Almost certainly no
    need for a new sprue plate.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.