Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: NOE 358 molds

Boolit Buddy

NOE 358 molds

If anybody has experience with the NOE 150 swc or the BRP 158 swc would you please let me know of your results.
    The 357 revolver is my favorite handgun and therefore am always searching for the ultimate mould. I've had good luck with the 358477 and the
    brp 150 rnf on the light side and the 358429 on the heavy end.

However, the opportunity to cast with two NOE 5 cavity moulds simultaneously is very tempting. The NOE 358477 and the 358-150 rnf did not perform very well for me. More than likely it's my fault with my choice of powder and alloy, but for whatever reason it is what it is.

Anyway, any and all experiences would be appreciated.
    Kirk

I have the 360-150-SWC from NOE and love it. It works extremely well in my revolvers. I haven't loaded it in 357 mag yet but in 38 special loading it works well in the 7 revolvers I have fired it in.
    Mine drop right at .360 and 152 grains. I size to .358 and tumble lube with White Label X-Lox. I have used Bullseye, CFE Pistol, WST, and WIN 231 all with good results.
    I also use the 358429, 358311, 358495, 358432, and the NOE 360-160-WFN.
    I also use a couple of molds from NOE that were designed for the 9mm but drop large enough to use in my 38/357.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Taz. That's the Kind of info that I need. What boolit have you found to be the overall most accurate in YOUR guns?
    Kirk

That's tough. Any of the 158-160 grain Cowboy type rfn boolits work well(both NOE and Lee). The target style wadcutters work well. Only some of the SWC boolits work for me. The 358311 works extremely well in all my guns.
    I guess it's a tie between the 358311 and the 358495 for best groups in my 38 special loads. In my 357 mag it's the 358429 hands down.

Boolit Buddy
    That makes sense. I know it's immoral,but I don't even own 38spl. I do however have four 357's. So what I do is load up and down the scale with 90-95% of my loads on 38+p side of things. At my age, I've lived through the big boom heavy recoil thing and just plain enjoy shooting and loading the most accurate cast 357 loads possible. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sounds good anyway.
    Kirk

Boolit Master

A fun fact recently discovered - the NOE 358429 clone with HP pin installed dropped about 161 grains when using range scrap that behaves like 25-1; close enough to the classic 158 grain as to make no difference, and the long nose - too long for a lot of .357 cylinders - leaves room in the case for powder if you want to load those .38 cases hot.

NOE does have the H&G 51 now - Phil Sharpe's "original" 160 grain .357 Magnum bullet for those with a sense of history.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The 358311 works extremely well in all my guns.
    I second that the 358311 is usually very good. NOE has one that is a little bit different, that I haven't tried, but it looks very nice, the 360-150-RN.

In my S&W 686 the Accurate 36-158SG has been the most accurate so far.
    Last edited by GWM; 04-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen, Those are all great suggestions and tips.

this

Gentlemen, those are all great suggestions and tips. That's the beauty of this hobby. No end of learning and experimentation.
    Thanks again
    Kirk

Boolit Master

You have the heavy end sewed up with the 358 429.
    Look at NOEs 75 grain wad cutter.
    I have a lee mold that cast 86 grain wad cutters. loaded for my wife's air weight 38 as practice loads, she really likes the light recoil.
    Two of them stacked in a .357 case gives a close range high impact, low penetration round.
    A friend who borrowed the mold, loves how much easier it is to hit ground squirrels with a snubby launching two bullets per shot.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper