Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Henry Repeating Arms Made These Calibers - Would You Buy One

Boolit Master
    No. A 256 Winchester would be nice for a varmint rifle. Brass can be made.

Boolit Master
    Maybe it is just me but the Henry centerfire rifles just feel awkward and heavy compared to a Marlin or Winchester. I don't want one in any caliber.

No, Thanks - For me, the allure of the .25-20 & .32-20 is in the original rifles (Win M1892/92, M53, etc, etc) they were chambered in.

I would like a 32-20 lever rifle. However, unless Henry starts using a loading gate, as opposed to the loading at the front near the muzzle, I will pass on their offerings.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Caliber yes. Henry no,unless they change their design a lot. After having one of their .22s apart I would never buy one.

The only way I'd buy any Henry Rifle is if they start reproducing actual Henry repeaters - though maybe not in the Henry rimfire .44 ammo. As it is, the current Henry has none of the romance (for lack of a better word) of the original and not enough of of the refinement of the '66 or later Winchesters (or much of their "romance" either for that matter). There are just too many better options.

Boolit Bub
    Well they are getting a bit closer. 223, 243, and 308. Magazine fed 7 pound levers. All reports I have seen say mid 2016 availability
    https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

No. Henry guns are way too heavy for what they are and the magazine tube system of loading is totally unacceptable in a centerfire rifle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman308 View Post
    The only way I'd buy any Henry Rifle is if they start reproducing actual Henry repeaters - though maybe not in the Henry rimfire .44 ammo. As it is, the current Henry has none of the romance (for lack of a better word) of the original and not enough of of the refinement of the '66 or later Winchesters (or much of their "romance" either for that matter). There are just too many better options.
    Henry does make an 1860 in iron and brass frame. In 44-40.

Thanks! I hadn't looked at the website in a really long time. How long ago did they add that to their line-up?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to see a brass framed Henry Big Boy with a 24" bbl in 44-40. I'd even settle for a 44 mag/ spl with the 24" octagon bbl.

Krems

Boolit Master
    I really applaud them being made in the USA, I just don't like them.

[QUOTE=northmn;3578702]Had a chance to get a 25-20 and passed on it, and own a 32-20. They are fun cartridges but to be painfully honest went obsolete for a reason. The 22 mag will do anything at the lower level they will do and the 357 is a better all around rifle with less expensive and more available ammo. Problem is I have been there done that so much that these cartridges have lsot some of their appeal. I have shot the 32-20 a lot and like it, and do think the 25-20 would be great fun but my 22 mag Henry is seeing more and more use.

WHAT? you got some 22 mag ammo? I have not seen any around here in over a year.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Held a Henry and then a Rossi. I bought the Rossi.......I like the way it carries much better.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Bub

Henry rifles are US made which is good, but so are Marlins, even though Remington has somewhat tarnished the name.
    I would not be interested in the Henry in any caliber. just my 2 cents.
    http://www.nra.org/
    MSGT, USAF, Retired

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Well they are getting a bit closer. 223, 243, and 308. Magazine fed 7 pound levers. All reports I have seen say mid 2016 availability
    https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    Interesting. I find the concept of a 223 lever intriguing. I wonder what it would do with my CB's at moderate velocities. Now I will have to figure out where to find the thousand bucks.

Boolit Bub
    I own a Win 92 and a Marlin pump in 25-20. Best squirrel caliber around. Remington has discontinued making brass for these guns making it challenging to reload for the caliber. Although I'd love to see a production run of the caliber in a new rifle just to improve ammo and component availability, I'm really not a Henry fan. Just don't like the feel and lack of loading gate in the design.

Boolit Master
    With the availability of brass these days I'm not buying anything.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would be happy to buy either caliber, however my finances won't allow it for the forseeable future. I can't buy another rifle much less dies/brass/molds. Heck, the only way I could afford a $210.00 Ruger LCP was with layaway.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Its alot to ask, but IF the chambered one in 44 russian, and scaled the gun back to the original proportions of a true henry rifle, not a stretched out spaghetti 44-40. Id pay a few k for that.

I never understood why they kept the 44-40 chambering as Uberti has that market share cornered. But if it were chambered in 44 russian the rifle would have been as close to a true Henry, size wise, as possible and it would have an extra 4 rounds capacity.