Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 10,000 round M70 on the line

Boolit Master

Really Long Range

22-250 with a fast twist barrel shooting heavies...
    All kid's stuff

If you want to really raise dust and hit targets at very, very long range with cast boolits, bigger is better! 30 cals with 200 + grain projectiles and 45/70s with 405 grains boolits and bigger are the bomb.

Virtually unlimited range in photo one and 800 yards to the targets on the hill behind me in the second photo.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Love Life
    I really need to get a BPCR type target rifle chambered in 45/70.

Boolit Master

Long Range Shooting

A little off topic from the original 30/06 theme, but these rifles work really well for black powder or smokeless shooting. The sights are just perfect for long range shooting to a mile and that big boolit really has a big signature when it hits what you're shooting at or at least it lets you know with lots of dust if your wind or trajectory call was off.

I once had the Browning 1885 heavy barrel BPCR 45/70, but to be honest, it was only barely competitive to these Trapdoor rifles at long range.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-18-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I really need to get a BPCR type target rifle chambered in 45/70.
    I've had one spec'd out on the Shiloh Sharps site or awhile, was just thinking the same thing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Gentlemen:

I can't dig up any pictures but I've done some long range single shot shooting.

The deal is that the increased caliber of the 45s is ballistically superior to the small-bore 30s because as the weight goes up in the bigger diameter bullet the surface area does not increase as rapidly as the smaller bullets do. So, a bullet in 30, with the same sectional density as one in 45 will not have as good a ballistics coefficient even if they have essentially the same form..

This is strongly evident in artillery, where the bigger the gun, the further it will shoot.

Knowing these things, at the end of my long range single shot shooting I built a 50 Sharps Straight on the "Spaghetti Sharps" action. (cases cost $2.35 each!)

I bought a new 50 caliber barrel blank rifled for 50 BMG with the 1:20 twist, installed it and got a 700 grain mold cut by Paul Jones custom shop to feed the monster.

It performed well and I took it up to the Montana 1000 yard Championship, where things came out very nicely.

~ By the way, this proven rifle + all its accessories is now for sale. Very reasonable.

Forrest
    Last edited by FAsmus; 12-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Gentlemen;

This is a repeat shot of me last spring with the M70 on the Hill-Top range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	165378

Wyoming really is hard to beat!
    Last edited by FAsmus; 04-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Artful: Your range looks like the place where Dutch Henry Brown had his cabin in "Winchester
    73". Shelley Winters make the classic comment,"You never know when a girl might need a bullet."

Boolit Master

Wyoming really is hard to beat!
    I'm in Fremont County as I type and the plan is to launch boolits tomorrow. Driving in today the wind was pretty strong in the Lander Valley, so it'll make those wind calls interesting to say the least if the wind continues tomorrow. A 7.5 Swiss and a Trapdoor are in their cases ready to go.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    I really miss the wide open spaces of the American west. It sure made it easy to shoot at long range.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Looks like a long slide lyman 48 and a lyman xnb sights on the springfield. Had a smith corona with almost the same setup. That was in my salad days all green and mixed up. Don't even remember what I swapped it for. Frank

Frank;

I've had my M1903 in pretty much all sight configurations.

I have a Camp Perry tool for the old ladder issue sight - it was a lot of fun to crank that old hummer! Then came the tall staff M48 Lyman and the usual optical set up for the current 3X Leopold.

The M1903 sat in mothballs for awhile since even with the good M48 in place I couldn't see the issue blade well enough after a certain point to do any good. ~ Thus the 3X scope. The picture on my postings is the M1903 with a temporary 6X Burris - since replaced.

I bought that rifle on my 18th birthday - when my mother could no longer say "no" for $37.50.

Forrest
    Last edited by FAsmus; 04-16-2016 at 10:47 PM.