RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Handloader magazine

Boolit Buddy
    What I was referring to was the articles and also some folks I know. I also have a slug of handis and barrels as well, and they do shoot very nice groups. In fact I just figured out the my 44 mag and what bullet to feed it. With a .434 bullet it dowright stuns me as far as the groups it is capable of shooting. I also just picked up my 270 barrel I have had forever, and start shooting cast with it, which is what I bought it for. Lee now makes a 135 gr mold, combined with homemade gas checks and 14 grains of Unique and I am getting 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards.

Great to find anther Handi enthusiast!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Great to find anther Handi enthusiast!
    DD, don't know if you've been to GrayBeards (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/), but there are a host of Handi-holics there. Good bunch of down to earth folks.

My Handi in 300BO is downright boring. Need to make smaller targets!

Handi spoken there.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have a couple friends who have the low end(fixed barrel) CVA sigleshots,and those shoot darned well,too..My handi in 7x64 has been more than must satisfactory ,too... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    DD, don't know if you've been to GrayBeards (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/), but there are a host of Handi-holics there. Good bunch of down to earth folks.

My Handi in 300BO is downright boring. Need to make smaller targets!

Handi spoken there.
    I belonged but only posted one time, nothing of importance, just praise for a group or something simple. It was years and years later I found the site in my book. Said Darn, Veral is there and I have a question. I tried to sign on to find I was BANNED! HOW? I called Veral and he told me he had no idea, came from farther up the chain.

Boolit Master

Heh just bought this months Rifle magazine. Articles about the Cooper, & several others that look interesting.
    Each to his own, but I LIKE THEM!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    I do visit that site once in a while. I do know they did a lot of changes with password security and IP addresses and it has been a pain to log on ever since. Lots f great info over there, too.

I have also been banned from sites before I ever even made one single post. I think it boils down to something in the site's security software and your IP address or something.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I started getting the rag when it first came out and had stacks of them. I had so many I cut out what I wanted and gave the rest away. There were good writers and tests but we lost them all.
    Now they write about what advertisers pay for. They write about a gun, etc and the next page is a full page ad.
    Rifleman is the same. A scope test is for a $5000 scope, who among us buys them?
    One session on the porcelain will finish every gun rag today.
    Remember Ken Waters? I bought all of his books. He did the work.
    All rags are the same now, Carol got a free issue of Rachel Rays rag and there is one recipe in it, the rest, 99.9% are ads.
    They make so much money from ads, the rags should be free.
    I dropped all long ago, I know more then the writers and most of you here do too.
    Save your money for powder, if it can't be found here, it does not exist.
    Could you imagine a Cast Boolit magazine?
    Castbullet Association of America has a cast bullet magazine. You can even send articles into them for publishing. I did it one time back in the 80's. I used to go to their web sight but this site is a lot better.
    The magazine is called the Fouling Shot, I still have all the magazines from the 80's and 90's. That's where I learned the most for the time that I know about bullet casting. I have learned a lot more since joining this group of casters.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 02-22-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Handloader is a good mag albeit on the pricey side. I'll pick up an issue now and then if it has an article I'm interested in. I think a lot of the substance of today's published work might be edited out due to length restrictions. That's just a hunch, but I began writing and submitting articles about a year ago. The frequent response was that my pictures were not good enough. If you look at the pictures from the 70's to now you will undoubtedly see a huge difference in quality.

Anyways, I think the best way forward is to do what another poster said and start publishing your own articles. I began doing that online and its given me an avenue to forward the shooting and reloading angle without having to worry about advertisers or income.

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I think it would be a GREAT thing if Dave Scovill retired. JMO Gp
    LOL. My opinion as well.

I think their content has gone down hill since years back. But take a look at Shooting times, or the other rags...WAY worse.

Boolit Grand Master

Gun rags? Waste of paper and ink in most cases these days. Can learn more around here and sometimes the pics (NOT mine!) are better.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    First; my very first issue of Handloader was Aug 2005 I bought it because it had the definitive work on loading the .45-70 cartridge by Brian Pearce. I have read that article no less than 100 times!There have been several other individual issues which also contained definitive articles about subjects that interest me. Mostly by Brian Pearce. His articles on loading .44 Spec/Mag ,45's and various Handgun and Rifle cartridges are the basis for much of the data published in Hornady's Loading Manuals.
    Randy - actually it was Aug 2007... the only reason that I know that is that is because I just came across a post that's a few years old where someone was looking for that issue, for that arcicle . I had ordered the issue on CD a few years ago, because of the 45-70 article, and am passing the CD on to the the member who was looking for it... he had a long wait until someone who had it came across his post.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Mine came today, I'm going to like the article about the .35 Rem. I had one a long time ago & foolishly traded it it was a Marlin 336 with the waffle top receiver. Wish I still had that one.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"