Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powders for 45 acp and 40 s&w

Boolit Master

This question has been asked many, many times here.

I prefer Unique for .45 and Longshot for .40.

Using bulky powders prevent double-charges that will ruin your day.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I like the power Pistol for my 40 with 175 gr cast. Bullseye works great in the 45ACP with the 230g cast. Blue dot also worked in the 40 but never tried it in a 45ACP.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    and the search continues. I haven't found any powder online from the small vendors I remember. I mostly want to buy in 8 lb quantities. hopefully I can find my website sheet with all my loading supply sites. so far I have to try to find red dot bullseye or unique.

Boolit Master

If all else fails for economy in the fast powder column, try a slower powder like IMR 4756 for both Cal You will find a very accurate load in both cals with this powder. Not real economical but very accurate and bulky enough to lessen the chance of a double charge..With 4756 you will get your Velocity and keep your pressure down at the same time..You may have to do some searching for these loads. Now you have your home work

Boolit Mold
    Like a lot has said unique is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post
    I'm using 5.0 grains of WST behind 200gr boolits in .45, and 5.5 grains of WST behind 180-grain Rainier bullets in .40.

I also use WST in my 9mm. For me, it's the all-purpose powder.
    Just about any powder can be made to shoot in any caliber. So for me, they are all, all purpose. I do prefer WST in 45 & it works well for minor loads in 9 & 40. WST is NOT a good choice for full power 9 or 40, so If I had to settle on one powder to do it all, it would be a medium burner, starting with Unique & going slower to about PowerPistol. Anything in that range will work for full power 9, 40 or 45 & decent target loads in all three. If you want minor loads though, you need a faster powder as the medium burners need to be above midrange to burn efficiently.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I'm another for Unique, one of the most versatile powders out there.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Well I ordered powder. I had some titegroup and cfe pistol saved on a site. Since then (about a month) they have both gone on back order and primers did also. So me being me I settled with accurate no7 as I have reloading data for lead with this powder in my load data sheets that came with my dies. So hopefully next weekend I can I've everyone a view of a nice functional boolit. I heard no7 is dirty and this and that but it's what I could find in a pinch so hopefully it'll work well enough.

As 231 is extremely hard to find, for 45 acp, 230 grain ball, I've been using Hi-Skor 700-X. It burns fast and clean, but doesn't measure consistently through my Uniflow.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Nevermind I won't be loading any for 6-8 weeks. Powder showed in stock never mentioned in text anything about it taking 6-8 weeks to ship out powder. Just checked shipping and the primers shipped but not the powder. Now there's a notice on it saying because of increased demand it may take 6-8 weeks to ship. I'll never order from them again. After I've already ordered 1500$ worth of stuff. What a disappointment.

Boolit Buddy
    What part of the country are you in?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My question is which powder is a good choice to use in both
    Here ... do a match:
    http://reloadammo.com/40loads.htm
    http://reloadammo.com/45loads.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I live in New Jersey. I've bought powder and primers and they where at my door in 4 days. In one box with one hazmat fee. This is shipping all seperate with seperate hazmat fees. It's almost $75 in shipping.

Vendor Sponsor

I believe I'd cancel that order and get my money back before they screw you for multiple Hazmat Fees, and Shipping Costs. BS like that is usually done by large outfits or small outfits ran by A&&holes. They are just following orders that came down from the top, and are not looking at individual orders and are not looking out for your best interest. They are too busy just shipping stuff. Smaller outfits usually offer better personalized service unless the owner has "Issues!"

First never place an order like this solely over the internet. Always talk to somebody and demand only one shipment. If they don't have everything in stock ready to ship, insist on a firm delivery date. if they can't make that date, then go elsewhere.

There are literally hundreds of places to buy just about everything there is now. I'm sure you can find just about any powder there is at other places that will treat you right..

An example; a local gun shop recently changed hands. The old owner didn't have very much powder in stock and if he did he only had one bottle of this or that,,,, The new owners all of a sudden have every powder known to man in stock in both 1 and 8 lb. jugs! They also have lots more guns in stock, and don't charge ridiculous fees for buying or transferring guns.

Looks like the new guys are more interested in doing business than the old guy was. I liked him but hardly ever bought anything from him as he never had anything I needed.

Look for good places to do business. There are people out there who actually want your business and are willing to treat you right. Lots of them advertise here, and believe me if they weren't good vendors they wouldn't last long around here.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    It showed everything was in stock and originally it did list a seperate fee for powder. But they already shipped the primers. I ordered from a different company for my 223 reloads but they didn't have the primers I wanted in stock so I went to a different company that I normally don't buy powder from. Now I have to call them and I'm sure they won't take the primers back. I wish I could buy it locally but none of the lgs around me carry any of this stuff.

Boolit Master
    I Have been using WST in both and like it.It shoots better than I do and burns pretty clean.I don't have a good supplie of Uneque or Bullseye This is why I went with the WST.I have had good luck with 231 to.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I live in New Jersey. I've bought powder and primers and they where at my door in 4 days. In one box with one hazmat fee. This is shipping all seperate with seperate hazmat fees. It's almost $75 in shipping.
    You would be better off to patronize Gene Salomon in Farmingdale, NJ.
    http://www.yellowpages.com/farmingda...plies-26863126
    If Gene doesn't have it - Nobody in NJ has reloading supplies like Gene carries in stock
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    You would be better off to patronize Gene Salomon in Farmingdale, NJ.
    http://www.yellowpages.com/farmingda...plies-26863126
    If Gene doesn't have it - Nobody in NJ has reloading supplies like Gene carries in stock
    i very much appreciate that information. I will be giving him a call tomorrow!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    If all else fails for economy in the fast powder column, try a slower powder like IMR 4756 for both Cal You will find a very accurate load in both cals with this powder. Not real economical but very accurate and bulky enough to lessen the chance of a double charge..With 4756 you will get your Velocity and keep your pressure down at the same time..You may have to do some searching for these loads. Now you have your home work
    They discontinued SR4756 last year, but Ramshot' s True Blue is about the same burn rate. Kevin Newberry makes a good case for it as a good all-around pistol powder. I think the largest size that it comes in is 4 lb (not sure). http://blog.westernpowders.com/2014/...handgun-loads/