Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time caster. Seeking advice on proper boolit appearance

Bubble marks, worm etchings... definitely a cold mold, any frosting...hot Lead. Rounded base is a case of cold sprue or not a big enough "puddle" when pouring. Those aluminum molds are hard to mess up. Never dip them in water to cool them faster. Allow the lead to cool before opening the sprue plate so no lead streak is created . This will create an unacceptable gap between the plate and the mold.
    The problem with frosty bullets is just that they don't look as pretty. You're going to lube them anyways.
    Yes, you already seem aware that the bullet MUST fully fill the groves to prevent leading caused by hot gasses passing by the bullet.
    Try casting for your 40 with a hotter mold and cooler lead pour or some version of these moves. Using the theory of expansion/contraction of metals, experiment and have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    a lot of amazingly useful tips. I have been experimenting with these and so far ive had mixed success. I will say for as hot as I thought my mold was it actually wasn't. once I got the mould a bit warmer it really seemed to clean up a lot of the errors. now I'm just working on consistency and frosting. I was casting lastnight just pouring and dumping the bullets back into the pot after a quick inspection, just doing this so I can find a certain way that works for my molds. so far I haven't found a very consistent rhythm that produces the same thing every time. I'm going to try to do a short run. 80-100 in 401 without the mold smoked and see if I cant get these boolits to the proper size.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't even read the preceeding 2 pages, but I know you've received good advice without even reading it. This site is good, and I wish I'd had it when I started out casting. I'd have certainly learned more sooner. Yet, when it comes right down to it, the ONLY real way to learn is to do what you're doing and just start casting. Pay attention to the temp of both mold and metal, and notice how they interplay to create frosted (metal too hot) or shiny (metal and mold just right in temp) bullets, bullets with wrinkles (metal not hot enough), bullets with "inclusions" like slag or dirt particles, etc. and note how your rate of casting tends to heat up the mold and produce different appearing bullets. Learn to adjust the thermostat for each mold, since some molds like to run hotter or cooler than other molds, and just learn to start noticing every little thing you do. Most of it makes at least some kind of difference, and the real trick is to learn to monitor your process as you go along, making adjustments as they are indicated as being needed to get the most consistent, shiny and accurate bullets possible. It will at times seem like you're never going to learn, but when you get there, you'll look back at all you went through and laugh, because it'll be quicker than you thought. An awful lot of us here started by reading a bit, and just diving in and learning as we went along, rereading with a better understanding, and revising what we did until we got really good results. You could do that too, but with this site, you'll have a lot easier time than many of us did who started long ago and just learned on our own.

Best thing to do when you begin to start to feel you're getting a bit of a handle on things, is to go back and read the archives, and read ALL of it that seems like it might interest or benefit you. When you've done that, you'll have a really good perspective on just how wide open the process really is, and how different people do different things, and yet, both get good results. A lot depends on what you want to do, and how you want to do it, and what rifle or pistol you want to do it with.

And even after you become an "old pro" yourself, you'll STILL have questions now and then, and mysteries to solve, but ... well, that's what makes it so interesting. Good to have a new caster on board, always!

Boolit Master

I'd just like to second that, no, you do not need to buy a new barrel if your bullets are undersized. You can polish out a Lee mold very easily and increase diameter of the bullets you cast by several thousandths.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I'd just like to second that, no, you do not need to buy a new barrel if your bullets are undersized. You can polish out a Lee mold very easily and increase diameter of the bullets you cast by several thousandths.
    i had honestly thought of doing that right from the get go. But I figured I should try casting without smoking and a bit more tin and maybe slower pour speed so it fills out better. If that doesn't help in the size then I may need to attempt opening up this mold. It's either $100 barrel or $40 mold. I'm not afraid to ruin the mold now. As I'm typing I'm watching the pot heat up so hopefully by the end of tonight I should have a better evaluation on the situation. The 40 is my wife's gun so I want to be certain she won't have any issues. My 45 mold drops bullets thatll shoot as cast.

Boolit Buddy
    I found this to be interesting. Thinking I had the mold warm enough I dipped it. Within 5-10 seconds it had cooled the lead enough to for a nice brick on the end of my mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

I'm smiling here because had the exact same thing happen way back when I was starting. I imagine some others are smiling as well? You're learning pretty fast. These days, it's really not nearly as necessary very much for us to pay really close attention to what we're doing, since so much of what we do involves pre-packaged stuff that's more or less boring to assemble. But putting out goo bullets is one of those things that brings us back to the "good ol' days" when craftsmanship with hand tools and close attention to detail, and constant monitoring and consideration of what to do next was "the way" of doing most things. It's good to see a newbie here with a sense of humor and some genuine humility in the learning process. I think you're going to be casting really good bullets a lot sooner than you probably think right now. And remember, where you're treading, many have gone before you, so just enjoy the learning process, and pay attention, and keep at it. You're clearly on the right path.

Boolit Grand Master
    Use a hotplate or a propane torch to preheat your mould.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I did this too starting out and I can say all it did was end up ruining a couple of molds. Do yourself a favor and go to Walmart and buy an 8 dollar hot plate to hear your molds.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie06 View Post
    I did this too starting out and I can say all it did was end up ruining a couple of molds. Do yourself a favor and go to Walmart and buy an 8 dollar hot plate to hear your molds.
    ^^^ this! The hot plate works wonders on 6 cav aluminum molds. Also nice for pre heating ingots so you melt temp doesn't vary as much.

I found the easiest way to start with 6cav molds, is to cast one or two of the cavities till you get your pace smooth. Another thing to try, is hold the sprue plate hole tight up against the spout (it fit's nicely) and pressure cast. Your first attempt looks lots better than my first ones. I think back to my first couple of sessions, all I did was recycle lead.

My main goal now are clean sharp bases. I've found that for pistol rounds, wrinkled boolits shoot pretty good. If you use Lee's ALOX, you're going to lube the whole thing anyways.

Post #43 sums things nicely…but…if you spend a moment rolling those boolits around looking for details while you are trying to find the cadence…you will miss that part altogether.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Well guys and gals. I believe I got the 401 mold to work for me. But we'll see what everyone else thinks. I recycled all my wrinkled bullets because I wasn't happy with them. This attemp went much smoother once I figured out my pot problems(wasn't hot enough). And my mold problems. Wasn't hot enough and I can cast about 6-8 times once up to temp then I have to let the mold cool for a minute. I mainly recognized that because the lube grooves were very wrinkled and the sprue was taking well over 10 seconds to frost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Strtspdlx; 02-22-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Mike those 'parting lines' and 90 degrees to them on the same boolit…you will get a better idea of that cavity.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I did. I mic'd on the parting line and 90* from that. And just to be sure I rolled a few and mic'd random locations and they're all within .0006 of 401. It's a lot better then the .397.398 i was getting. Going to Walmart tonight and I'll see if I can't find myself a hot plate. I'm limited on the power I can use as my shop isn't wired to use much more then lights. If I run my pot and case cleaner at the same time it'll usually end up popping a breaker.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Yep, he's hooked now! Welcome to the very best cast boolit site. (As for me, the ONLY cast boolit site)You're going in the right direction. Good luck to you. Do not be afraid to ask for advice, or for criticism, you will receive both! These gentlemen on this site have so much knowledge, I don't think there is a question that can't be answered! Just my .02 cents.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Good looking boolits good bases are the most important thing .I like to use a couple of moulds so one can cool as you fill the other .

Boolit Mold
    A hot plate for your molds is the way to go