Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .44 mag/.44 remington mag.... difference

.44 mag/.44 remington mag.... difference

might be a stupid question, but im not too stupid not to ask when it comes to reloading. sometimes I see it called .44 magnum, and sometimes I see .44 Remington magnum. is there any difference or is .44 mag just shorthand? thankyou,
    Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Seriously?

Boolit Master
    It's just short hand, only dumb questions are the ones not asked esp in reloading!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mica_hiebert View Post
    it's just short hand, only dumb questions are the ones not asked esp in reloading!
    ^^^this^^^

bf
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

.44 mag #1 , I don't appreciate the reply you gave. you should know that reloading is serious and not asking this question would be like saying .338 lapua and 338 win mag, oh well they both say 338, ill just flip a coin. so don't try to make me feel stupid it aint cool

oh, sorry to the others, thank you for the replies and not feeling the need to try to make me feel stupid.
    Travis

44 rem mag is 44 mag. Don't let the trolls get you down.
    1,000,000 peso man

Shorthand, we all do it. Like .38 for .38 Special, .45 for .45 acp, 9mm for 9mm Luger/Parabellum, .30-06 for .30-06 Springfield, .30-30 for .30-30 Winchester, etc. It's easy enough to clarify if there's a question.

But there's also times like .303 British vs. .303 Savage, and so on..... This discussion could go on forever!

The .44 Remington Magnum is the result of the collaboration between Smith & Wesson and Remington at the strong urging of Elmer Keith. I don't know why it didn't end up being the .44 Smith & Wesson Magnum. Possibly something as simple as a coin toss?

Quote Originally Posted by The O.K. KIDD View Post
    .44 mag #1 , I don't appreciate the reply you gave. you should know that reloading is serious and not asking this question would be like saying .338 lapua and 338 win mag, oh well they both say 338, ill just flip a coin. so don't try to make me feel stupid it aint cool
    44MAG#1, the OP had a legitimate question. The O.K. KIDD has been researching a super blackhawk for a while, and obviously has some reloading questions and is newer to the craft. Better to be informed and safe than jump to conclusions and endangering yourself and others.

Anyway, good luck with your loading, OP. Stay safe.

If you're going to do extensive hand loading, might I suggest exploring the 45 Colt? Have you already picked up, or picked out your SBH?

thankyou junkpile, its more that I am new to reloading for pistols, still haven't started yet, waiting on a settlement . I have my heart set on a 7.5 ruger SB in 44 mag, I think I like it because the velocity is a little higher and correct me if im wrong, will shoot quite a bit flatter, and ive always wanted a 44 mag. yes I have looked at the 45 colt too, it is tempting, just cuz I like bigger boolits for anything, but I made up my mind. all except wether to get the bisley or standard grips, does pachmeyer make grips for the bisley? thank you very much
    Travis

Banned

True, the Rem mag is the same as what we all call a .44 mag. Rem developed the round and S&W made a gun to fit. S&W did not develop the round. so it is the .44 Remington magnum.
    I see references to it called the S&W .44 mag also. But S&W developed the gun and Rem made the cartridge.

Boolit Master

Not a stupid question at all. There are so many flavors out there its dizzying getting started and much better to ask a question than to disassemble your gun. Things are out there never existed before like a 35-303 etc. Don't take things for granted. ASK.
    By the way this company is great for grips http://www.altamontco.com/experiment.../pistol/ruger/

Boolit Master
    Nobody was born doing this & it only smart to ask Forum members if you have a question about guns, calibers, reloading, etc. Don't feel bad about asking & certainly don't apologize to anyone for not knowing something, we've all been there.
    The 44 magnum is a great caliber & will serve you well, you can down load it for a while until you get use to it or you can also use 44 specials in it. Lots of great bullets to choose from. Of course you want to reload if you can, factory ammo can easily run $50 a box so practice is expensive if you buy off the shelf. Good luck!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Asking when you aren't sure is not only intelligent, it also displays quite a bit of common sense... something that isn't always so commonly found.
    You did good.

Good luck with your project.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cartridge nomenclature is a confusing, conflicted, daunting subject. The O/P's question is a legitimate one.

One of the better overviews of the subject can be had affordably via a paperback book--"Cartridges of the World".

I have yet to see any mass-produced aftermarket grip sets for the Ruger Bisley revolvers. I REALLY like how the OEM Bisley grips handle recoil for me (357 Mag and 45 Colt so far). I have a 44 Magnum I would like to part with, and its replacement will be a BisHawk in 44 Mag x 7.5".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

9.3, do the other guns have a 7.5" barrel? if so how does she handle? I am choosing that length for sight radius, and the extra velocity. I wouldn't think it would be too unwieldy, like the 10.5 might be, and also I have had tremors my whole life so the heavier the better, it dampens tthem out, sad thing is I can out shoot most everyone I know, lol just shoot between shakes! thanks to all of the nice and intelligent responses, the ammo world is full of hypocrisies 38 in 357,cool other way, no way 32's aren't .32's,38 is 35 but the 35 rem isn't 38 rem, I could go on but you all know. yeah I do need that cartridges of the world book, along with lymans casting book. right now I only have the 2nd edition lee and an alliance powder booklet. the lee book gets me by, and more importantly, does it safely, but I would like a lot more reference material. when it comes to reading about guns and ammo I am bookworm! thanks
    Travis

In Remembrance

I once saw what can happen when there is a lack of communication between a sales clerk and a teen trying to buy some `store bought `ammo. The teen said he needed some 7mm ammo as the story went. The store clerk in all his minimum wage knowledge sold the teen a `box of 7mm`s` as he was said to tell the teen. I happened by their home that night to jaw with his Pa. The teen was sold a box of 7mm Remington Magnums for ammo, the teen was looking for some 7mm Mauser ammo. I went back to the store with the teen and his Father, we had a real nice conversation with that clerk and the store manager. Have as much knowledge as possible when talking about just any cartridge there was ever made to avoid confusion.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Cartridge nomenclature is a confusing, conflicted, daunting subject. The O/P's question is a legitimate one.

One of the better overviews of the subject can be had affordably via a paperback book--"Cartridges of the World".

I have yet to see any mass-produced aftermarket grip sets for the Ruger Bisley revolvers. I REALLY like how the OEM Bisley grips handle recoil for me (357 Mag and 45 Colt so far). I have a 44 Magnum I would like to part with, and its replacement will be a BisHawk in 44 Mag x 7.5".
    This may not apply, but I had a .44 Rem. Mag. Super BH with the squared off trigger guard that beat the fire out of my middle knuckle. I finally sent it to Jack Huntington to have it converted to a 5 shot .45 Colt. Included was a reshaping of the trigger guard and especially the grip frame. Now the grip frame resembles the Bisley grip frame but is not exactly like it. He also made the stocks.

I doubt that a full bore conversion would be required for him to take the job and it may be more expensive than selling what you have and buying a Bisley BH. I'm old enough that many things I buy are scheduled to be passed on to my sons so money is not an overriding concern. Although they may prefer the $$, but then I wouldn't get to enjoy it until then.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Many times, when a cartridge has gun maker X's name in the cartridge name
    (e.g. 44 Remington Magnum or 45 Automatic Colt Pistol [45 ACP])
    and gun maker Y makes a gun to take that cartridge, gun maker Y will
    slightly modify the cartridge name on the gun's markings to remove the reference to the competing gun manufacturer.

For example, Ruger or Colt may mark their gun "44 Magnum" and drop the Remington reference,
    or Glock will mark their gun "45 Auto" and drop the ACP reference, because the C in ACP
    stands for Colt.

The correct name for the 30-30 cartridge is 30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire)
    however Marlin's are marked "30-30" so they do not have to mention their competor Winchester.