Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: It's official...Texas is "home".

Take Hwy 46 to Sequin, go 17 miles east on I-10 or Hwy 90, to Luling. Luling City Market on the main corner. It's about a 45 minute drive from N.B. Can't miss it . Best in Texas. Lockhart ain't bad, but like Luling better. Try the sausage and ribs.

Boolit Grand Master

Luling, Llano, Lockhart, Victoria....if I lived down that way I'd be bigger than my truck, lol.
    Best advice I can give any new Texan is never, ever tell us how you did it "up north" or "back home".
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

If I didn't have so many ties here in Ga., I'd likely be in Texas, too. "Home," when one is as inextricably tied to the land as I am, is just home, no matter where it is. We have an awful lot of idjits here, but they seem to be multiplying faster than the sensible folks everywhere now, so it'd mainly be for the taxes, atmosphere, pride, conviction and history for me. That old black mud of the swamps would draw me back, though, I'm afraid. Roots are just too deep. We have a lot of sensible folks in Ga., but we have an awful lot of idjits, too, and their numbers seem to be growing, and even my redneck friends seem to be succumbing slowly to an awfully surprising amount of PCness and lib theology. They're a pretty laid back people who have no great aspirations other than to just enjoy life and living, and have some fun along the way, usually involving music and food. Very basic stuff, but they generally don't think deeply, and that's why they're succumbing to PCness. Their pliancy and adaptability has become their weakness! Everything I see seems to indicate that things are like this all over, and the people who once supported this country with their knowledge, ability and intellects and curiosity and willingness to experiment, have now gone rather compliant and become indoctrinated. I never thought I'd see this, but the idjit libs will use any and everything at their disposal to Master the entire Universe! And many people, who are trusting at heart, fall prey to their high sounding ruses. Texas would be a good place to weather out the coming storm, I think. Hope you find it satisfying. Texas is one of the very few (if any other?) states that could legitimately seceed and sustain itself ONLY on what it has in-state, and what could be traded off to others for what they needed that they don't have there. That ain't no small thing these days!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    ...i really prefer kansas city style barbecue over all others by a large margin.....
    heretic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    heretic!!!
    Well if it's any consolation I will eat Texas barbecue. The mustard and vinegar base garbage they refer to as Carolina barbecue isn't fit to feed to your worse enemy.

Boolit Master
    I also highly recommend City Market in Luling.

first thing i thought of was pig hunting i hear its thick with them there
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    first thing i thought of was pig hunting i hear its thick with them there
    You heard correctly! The trick is to smite them with boolits, not bumpers.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm kind'a like the gal who just loved men, and took on all comers. I've eaten all sorts of BBQ, and enjoyed all of it. But when I have my choice, I like a tomato and brown sugar sauce on mine, with a little mustard and Worstershire, onion and garlic powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar and whatever else strikes me as being maybe good for that day's BBQ. I've found a little (doesn't take much a'tall!) taragon can also be good when you're in the mood for that. If there's BBQ available, I'll give at least one plate or sandwich a try. ALWAYS! And to date, I've never found one I didn't like. I HAVE found some sauces that I liked a minimum of, and the mustard and vinegar types are the ones I'll tent to use sparingly. But when the meat is so good you don't need or want much sauce, THAT is when you just glow with appreciation for a really FINE meal! YMMV, but that's how I approach BBQ, and I try to approach it every chance I get, too!

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome home, son. Texas accepts all comers who want to work and build Texas.

Be sure to get your CHL BEFORE you open carry. It is the law. We are working on changing that now. Cruz gets elected, we'll work on it from the top down.

If you do open carry and an cop asks to see your CHL, just say "no thank you'. Just because you are open carrying, he has no legal right to ask to see your CHL. Now, if your got a snoot full of Lone Star and acting in a rude manner, well,... he can do his job.

So, get the CHL...bout 90 bucks I think now a days... and carry. Oh..TARGET, HEB and a few others don't like OPEN CARRY and can legally ask you to leave. It is private property and they have this authority. At the HEB i 'USED TO GO TO" the manager just asked me to put my .45 in my shirt so as to not scare the 'little ole ladies'. I did so, he was happy and I don't go back there. I go across IH 10 West and now patronize WALMART. They support Open Carry and the Manager there just asked to see my CHL. "HE" can do that as it is private property. I showed him my CHL and he said 'Welcome to our store!" Nice guy. He said they worry only because they sell alcohol and I did have some Lone Star in my basket. I can understand his concern.

Open carry is new in Texas. Less than 2 months old and folks are just getting used to it. Mayor, City Manager, and SA Police Chief are fit to be spit on they are so red hot mad. But, State Law is State Law.

Get the CHL....OPEN CARRY... I see it as my DUTY, not a legal right. Semantics here I am sure will be debated.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kinldy Pick Two.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Best advice I can give any new Texan is never, ever tell us how you did it "up north" or "back home".
    That is wise counsel indeed! Texans have their own way of thinking and doing. You don't have to think like them or do like them, but it is a good idea to keep your mouth shut about foreign ways.

Lone Star beer is pretty much swill. It was The National Beer of Texas for many years, being brewed in San Antone. But, Pabst bought the brand and it is made in Ft. Worth by Miller. It is perfectly acceptable in Texas to drink Mexican beer with Dos Equis being one of the worlds great beers. Just saying.....
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-07-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

There's More & More Everyday!

BadBob454....Yea buddy! Come on down for Hog Hunting!! We got thousands and thousands of 'em!!

Can hunt them with harsh language, pistol, bow, knife, spear, rifle, laser beams, machine gun, spot light at night, bait and trap, machine gun from a helicopter or plane!!!

Can put you on 12,000 acres that has well over 5,000 of them waiting to be 'removed'......No questions asked. "Pile'em up!"

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Boolit Buddy
    The HEB's here don't display 30.06 OR 30.07 signs so it must be store-by-store. Luby's shows a 30.07 sign, which strikes me as strange... that's where the chl movement started in Texas. For the non-Texicans here... 30.06 forbids concealed carry and 30.07 forbids open carry.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Welcome to Texas, my home away from home. Tx is a very nice state. Some day I will go home to Louisiana. I do make the trip over to La about once a month to see the kids, relax and sometimes do a few odd jobs around the house and maybe fish a bit. My house is on a lake. Just finished my boat house a couple months ago. I'm going back this weekend and work on the artificial fish structure that I'm putting around the insides of my boat slips.
    Right now work holds me here with retirement around the corner, maybe sooner than expected since I'm oilfield.

Anyway, you will enjoy Tx. I know that I have with the exception of having to live in Houston. I'm a member of a great gun range over here and I frequent it just about every weekend that I stay in Houston. PSC, "Pearland Shooting Club". I've been a member there 6 yrs this year. It's a NRA sponsored range to boot.
    I will dearly miss that range and the friends that I have made there over the years.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    That is wise counsel indeed! Texans have their own way of thinking and doing. You don't have to think like them or do like them, but it is a good idea to keep your mouth shut about foreign ways.

Lone Star beer is pretty much swill. It was The National Beer of Texas for many years, being brewed in San Antone. But, Pabst bought the brand and it is made in Ft. Worth by Miller. It is perfectly acceptable in Texas to drink Mexican beer with Dos Equis being one of the worlds great beers. Just saying.....
    http://www.shiner.com/
    https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dis01

Shiner was once swill. The company changed ownership, and it is now pretty good stuff. You have permission to drink Shiner.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Well, to catch up on some posts:

My family and I are looking forward to being productive members of Texan society, nothing less. We honor the Lord, work hard, mind our business, treat people the way we would like to be treated, conduct our business in a fair manner, and prefer to support local economy over national chain type stuff. So, we look forward to just plugging right in. As for where we came from, well, you just can't go far while looking in your mirror. I'm sure that doesn't need any more explanation.

I spent some time reading up on Texas gun laws before moving. I'm enjoying living a felony free lifestyle, and don't care to be welcomed to Texas in a felonious fashion. So- as soon as I'm able, I'll be obtaining my Texas CHL. Open carry is nice...that said, I'm a big fan of people not knowing what may or may not be hidden under my shirt. I've never declared that I was carrying concealed when pulled over by previous officers, and see no reason why I would change that practice.

On the note of BBQ- I'm a fan of all meats smoked. I prefer a good smoky sauce with some heat, but some days beg a need of that mustard based sauce from the east coast. Either way, I think if it's smoked and carved off a cow or pig, life is going to be good.

I really appreciate the warm welcome from everybody.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Sounds like you are going to fit right in - except if I might give you a piece of advice. One of the lawyers that attended a couple of my CHL classes advised us to ALWAYS hand a peace officer your TDL and your CHL if asked for ID. That way he knows, you know and that minimizes the possibility of a bad surprise. In fact in Texas that is the law.

I got pulled over for speeding here a while back and did that. Officer asked me where it was (normal) and I told him I didn't have it... I was in my wife's car. Not only did he not say "OK" he dressed me down for not having it! Told me "I want you to always be armed on this side of town, you hear me!?". I thought that was very thoughtful of him.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll offer you one little tip, that'd probably get me in trouble, if I moved to Texas is, that I prefer beans in my chili.

Great reading...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ns-or-no-beans
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You can be correct if you put it this way: "I prefer beans with my chili."

Then, you can still get into heaven.

We didn't realize hat these such a controversy over the inclusion of beans in a batch of chili. Honesty, I've never had chili without beans, so I may be in trouble. Hopefully I didn't stir the pot (pun intended! )
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480