Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To micro grove or not???? Marlin 45-70

Boolit Grand Master

Looks good to me, then again I'm a sucker for leverguns in general. Good luck on the brass quest. If all else fails buy a few boxes of factory loads or have Grumpa make you some. This cartridge is easy on the brass so a few will do.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Looks good to me, then again I'm a sucker for leverguns in general. Good luck on the brass quest. If all else fails buy a few boxes of factory loads or have Grumpa make you some. This cartridge is easy on the brass so a few will do.
    Not a gun shop or dealer with in driving distance has a shell for sale.(35rem) Good news is its gun show season in the next few weeks. No Grumpa's left here. Guess I will have to do it myself, but that is ok it wont be the first time. :}

In Remembrance
    You feel your up to the challenge of making your own 35Rem?

Here's a thread on how I make them: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...way&highlight=
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    Grumpas brass is great stuff. I found it was slightly more accurate for me then r-p 35 rem brass. But you will want to back of the charge about 5% because it is a 308 there isnt as much case capasity. I didnt lose any velocity. I was using LVR for powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    You feel your up to the challenge of making your own 35Rem?

Here's a thread on how I make them: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...way&highlight=
    Ah Grumpa. He got me. Grumpa was not short for my grandpa. LOL Thanks for the link. Ok I checked out the link and NO I am not up to making my own. I might be up to buying some from you. :}

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Ah Grumpa. He got me. Grumpa was not short for my grandpa. LOL Thanks for the link. Ok I checked out the link and NO I am not up to making my own. I might be up to buying some from you. :}
    Just click the link I have in my signature, then the 35Rem thread, then scroll down for pictures..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    The myth that micro groove cannot shoot cast is worth less than a wooden nickle, the fact is that no under-sized CB shoots worth a hoot. Yes, MG needs larger than expected diameter CB's but so what? It is the nature of the beast.
    You nail it. I remember gun rag writers who used cast Bullets sized to 0.308" in micro groove 30-30 rifles then claiming micro groove doesn't shoot cast. The folks at Lyman hold some responsibility for this myth too as their manual tells you to slug the bore but the load data shows Bullets sized to nominal bore diameter. Few folks read the front of the manual. Or they forget what they read there.

When I reload cast for microgroove I use the largest diameter that will easily chamber. I learned this by accident when I inadvertently sized Bullets meant for a Marlin 30-30 in a 0.311 size die about 35 years ago. Group size dropped from pie plate to a jagged hole
    Last edited by 10x; 01-16-2016 at 09:44 AM.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm

I followed the advice in this article and got good results with bullets cast of plain wheelweight metal cast about .001 over groove diameter with a gas check in place.

That's a very informative article. I think that the one thing that the author neglected to mention is that shooting cast projectiles is more of an art form than in a science, yes there are certain "rules" which we follow but when it comes down to it, experimentation and data collection is paramount.

I just recently got a sample pack of GC's from Vulcan for my '94 44 Mag and a new mold (429215). I took it out yesterday with the identical load that I use for that weight boolit from a Lee mold and expected similar results, no dice. I will say that the GC boolit left a real purty clean bore though. Now it's on to the experimentation and finding the right combination for this particular boolit, at least with the GC I'll have more options on powder.

Boolit Master
    Higgins thank you for the link. That is some good reading know mater how long you have been loading. Thanks.

Foto Joe - I feel you have a fun road ahead. My older marlin MG in 44mag was a bit of a bear to get figured out. I just kept going larger and larger on the size until I had a clean bore and it grouped well. I had more issues getting lighter bullets to group then I did with a bigger meat plant. Good luck and dont forget the tape trick if you want to try a fatter bullet without changing the mold.
    I am still working on getting the 45-70 from my OP but will not pay more then what was on the sticker. Time will tell.