Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a gun that you thought you really wanted and found out, it wasnt?

Boolit Bub

Lightbulb

Yes a couple of em!

S&W 25-5 .458 throats, .456 barrel . Finally started casting and all went well for awhile. Sold her off.

.30-06 Winchester Sporter. Barrel actually had ribbons of steel at the muzzle and a few inches inboard.
    cleaning removed most of the crud. Never shot well. I wanted one of these for a long time.

Wonder why Winchester went out of business.

Last but not least, a beautiful .300 Weatherby Magnum with #2 heavy contour barrel.

Trigger was horrible adjustment did nothing. Replaced it with a Canjar. Norma made brass was too soft.

Weatherby recommended load caused bolt head expansion but primers showed no sign of pressure.

Belts expanded by .005" at least. Best velocity ever was 3,100 fps with a Speer 150 grain bullet and W-W 785 Powder.

Stock was beautiful to look at ,but was totally unstable, had it bedded in Devcon Steel and after all this the barrel

was toast at 650 rounds.

Traded this for a Browning A5 12 gauge that would give a headache after 25 rounds because of the double shuffle long recoil system.

Live and learn, life's experience.

Regards,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    Waiting for an AR with a 3' barrel and wooden handguard
    Your not looking hard enough
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    Waiting for an AR with a 3' barrel and wooden handguard
    THREE FEET?! How long of a gas system?

I really wanted one of those sawed-off double-barrel shotguns, one of the legal ones (up here) but just couldn't justify it. Instead got another 870 but configured with a full stock and short barrel (12.5"). Right now I'm again eying an 1887 with dual stocks (full & pistol) in 12ga.. and now I have Terminator 2 playing in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    THREE FEET?! How long of a gas system?
    Just a Rifle position should work fine - I've seen it on 24 and 26 in guns without issue.

The gas port MUST be located far enough from the muzzle that the pressure has time to kick the bolt carrier back before the bullet exits about 1/4000th of a second later. That demands that the gas port be a certain size, and a certain distance from the muzzle -- which actually varies, because pressures change as you go further from the chamber.

So shorter barrels need a shorter gas tube, and with the gas port closer to the chamber, the pressures are higher.

This means the shorter your gas system is, the higher the pressures it's subjected to. The bolt and carrier are slammed harder; they work harder, and the whole system becomes far more sensitive to anything that's not perfect. In addition, a shorter gas system is inevitably harsher in operation, because it has to cycle in a shorter time.

The original design was the rifle length system, and that's what the gas system is designed around. At rifle length, an aluminum gas block is fine, which keeps weight down. But with the carbine length, the pressures are almost twice as high, and an aluminum gas block will eventually be eroded by the hot gas charges. If you're using a carbine length gas system, or even a mid-length, a steel gas block is recommended.

And rifle length gas systems are standard on 20" and longer barrels, and there's NO reason to ever want to go shorter. In general, the longer your gas system is, the smoother and more reliably it'll operate - though you do need a certain minimum dwell time after the bullet passes the gas port.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    One of the new Smith & Wesson PC 686's seven shots with the 3 inch barrel. Too heavy for carry, too short for target practice and had a flaw (wrinkle) in the frame by the barrel . I can't get past the new Altamont grips either. They are pretty but I don't think they were made with the human hand in mind. I traded it and some cash for a used Freedom Arms 97, short-barreled, 45 Colt. Now that's a gun! I also find as I age, I like lever-actions and single-actions much better!

Boolit Buddy
    A Savage 11 scout. I thought I would like the scout concept but hated it. The rifle was accurate enough just couldn't get past the synthetic stock. It's the first and maybe last synthetic stocked rifle I'll own. Although I am curious with the AR platform.

475 Linebaugh BFR! That grip did NOT fit, Strained the the thumb tendons, HURT for 3 weeks. My FA 83 no prob. Just like boolets its all in the fit.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Buddy
    Worst was a H&R single shot 10 ga. 30 barrel with a cracked stock. I was 14 and could afford it. Kicked so hard it crossed my eyes and made me think of new swear words.

Had a HK P9S 45ACP with a polygonal bore that was a good carry gun but not good for bullseye. Gunny got me a Colt that went thru the match armorers school. At first we didn't get along but over 30 years we've grown on each other. ( allot like being married)

Picked up a 243 Rem 742 that has a soft receiver. Beautiful wood deluxe checkered stock. Wish someone would trade me something I need for it.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

In Remembrance
    I spent months reading about, and falling in love with the whole idea behind the Savage Model 24.
    Eventually, after selling a .22 rifle which would become redundant, I acquired a .22 / 20 ga.

I was in Germany at the time, and there was no place where I could make use of the 'flexibility' offered by the new gun.
    About a year later, while exploring the environs around Wichita, Kansas i finally got the opportunity I had waited for.

I was somewhat miffed to learn that with the sights adjusted to put the rifle barrel on at forty yards, the shot barrel was not very well regulated to hit the same spot.

In addition, I found that the 'flexibility' was of little use to my common hunting practices.
    Using the rifle for cottontails in snow meant there was almost nothing moving that needed a charge of birdshot.
    Then, walking the stubble fields in search of dove and quail was much more productive when carrying my 870.

Finally sold the Savage and bought a 10/22. I have never regretted that change ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I had a few that did not meet my expectations and hit the road after my first range session, heritage arms 22 pistol with fixed sights hit a foot high and foot left, s&w sve40 had horid every thing, my latest dump was a Enfield with special intrest arms 45 conversion, that kit needs a dedicated 45acp bolt face that the company did not bother to engineer with the rest of the kit no amount of extractor tuning and ejector plungers could make it extract and eject reliably kinda took the fun out of shooting it. I have a springfield xdm40 that I like so much I bought a xdm9 cuz it's cheaper to shoot! Well that was kinda dumb of me because you can buy allot of ammo for 600 bucks... my brother traded me his xdm45 for it that I intended on suppressing but I gave up on that idea and sold it to buy a gp100. I bought a Romanian AK for $325 and sold it for 1200 after Sandy hook. I've bought allot more than I've sold and only one I regret selling was my trusty single six 22lr when times where tight.

Boolit Master
    I like shooting my M1A better than my AR. I just like the M1A's better.
    My son enjoys the AR,and since I enjoy shooting with my son more than about anything else in the world, I have an AR.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Yes...a Glock.
    +1, had to have a glock 17, bought a gen4 when they came out, put 2500 rounds through it trying to like it and get used to it, 3 months later I took it back to the shop I bought it from and traded it in for a Ruger new model Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm, which is one of my favorite guns and shows it in good honest wear.
    "RCBS, Pacific, Lyman and many others furnish excellent dies and tools, but you must furnish the gray matter to produce perfect hand loads."

-Elmer Keith, Guns & Ammo, January 1982

Boolit Master

I traded a Springfield XDM 40 because it is too big for me to carry concealed, so I found a Kahr P40. It is the right size, feels good in the hand and at 10 yards it shoots about 8 to 10 inches low and 6 inches the the right. No matter what I do that gun will not shoot straight. I ran about 20 different loads throught it, I changed the way I grip it, and a hundred other things and there it sits, low and to the right. At 15 yards, 10 yards, or even 5 yards. I want to get rid of it and get a Ruger lc9s but I in all honesty can't sell or trade it to someone without telling them the problem and they are going to run when they hear that. So I am stuck with it. I have thought about sending it to the factory but I don't have the money to pop for a bunch of new parts such as barrel or recoil spring and guide or even a new slide. I am just stuck.
    Ole Jack, just crying on your shoulder.
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a pretty little Kimber 82 in 22 Hornet. Beautiful rifle. Would put 3 shots under a dime at 100yds. Fourth shot wouldn't stay inside a paper plate. Had to clean it and start over. Tried everything... powders, primers, bullets, cartridge length... lapped the barrel... floated the barrel... tried pressure point on the barrel... Called Kimber, Sierra, several gunsmiths... nothing. Did I mention it was beautiful? I hope whoever owns it now is happy with it. Twenty five years after the fact, I've decided that it was probably a 22lr bbl that got mixed in with their .224 bbls and wasn't ever gonna work with those big bullets. They used the actions for both calibers and would be a natural mistake.

Also had an SKB .410 O/U that I loved... it was magic on doves over a water hole. Then I noticed that the bbls didn't quite 'stack' in the standard figure 8... the bottom bbl pointed a bit southwest... and from then on I couldn't hit the ground with that little shotgun. It had to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Your not looking hard enough
    Wow that's one I need really bad where did you find it and who makes it,please send me a PM I've looked for along time for that stock.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Wow that's one I need really bad where did you find it and who makes it,please send me a PM I've looked for along time for that stock.
    rock river arms used to carry the wood furniture, I tried my dangdest to talk my brother out of getting a set, but he had to have it and his stock split and so did the fore end. good luck if you find a set.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

My wife won't shoot a plastic stock she wants wooden,I got her a Bushmaster five years ago this may it has never been shot... She can be bullheaded sometimes

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Thanks NOW I'll have to find someone who can fit it, but this is a start
    Fit? Their like Legos 10 min home instalation, tops.