Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield XD or H&K VP9

Boolit Master
    MtGun44,
    My understanding George Luger is credited with inventing the stepped chamber for 9 mm. Instead of having a tapered chamber, he used two straight sections in his chamber. The approximately one third of the chamber next to the riflings was tight enough to align the bullet and was the area that produced the gas seal when firing. The rest of the chamber was a straight cut 0.1 mm larger diameter than the front of the chamber. So there is s 0.1 mm step in the chamber about 2/3's the way into it.

The stepped chamber definitely works well. My knock on it is the step it puts in brass I would want to be reloading. Now I'll say in fainess I haven't owned a stepped chamber so I really don't know if the resulting stepped brass is a problem. I just didn't want to buy a $700 gun and find out. So I passed.

I imagine some folks might not notice the stepped chamber until they bought it, hence the "heads up".
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Love Life
    Ummm, if ya'll haven't priced Colt's 1911's and 1991's lately, you should. Several of their models fall right in line with the pricing of their competitors.

Now to the OP- I'd get the VP9. The Springfield is a good gun, but the VP9 is worth the coin.
    Last edited by Love Life; 01-17-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was not impressed with the XD series, just preference, didn;t like the way it felt in the hand compared to other guns. Got rid of my glock as I didn't like the angle. Friend raves about the HK guns, I just don't like paying for them. I am in the market for a modern 45 ACP, not gonna get rid of my 1911, just want something more modern. Wasn't impressed with the Ruger I handled, you could not just push the empty magazine in and it lock, you had to slap it, and that was an empty one. Have not seen in person the new Ruger pistols. But so far guess means a M&P if I do get one.

Love Life
    Did you look at the FN line of handguns?

Boolit Buddy
    Of those choices the H&K would have my vote. I'd suggest looking at the Walter PPQ which the VP9 is very close to without the premium price. I am very pleased with the PPQ.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Did you look at the FN line of handguns?
    Who me? Yes, I did traded my Glock 23 for a FNS40 not long ago. But they do not make them in 45.

Boolit Buddy
    I cant say anything for or against the h&k I don't know a thing about them . but as far as the springfield xd goes ive got an xd9 sub compact and I'm pretty happy with it ,its a good shooter . I recently traded a glock 22 for an xd40 tactical and really like it so far .

Boolit Master
    This is the kind of thread I read to meditate!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If I had enough cash for an HK I would buy a Browning Hi-Power!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Cz75b
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

I once heard a guy say "Colts and Kimbers are the guns I show my friends; Glocks and Sigs are the guns I show my enemies." I have an M&P .45 and wouldn't trade it for any of the other plastic, striker-fired makes. Fits my hand too well, groups too well, and I like the articulated trigger.

I had an XD compact in .40 and an XD sub compact in 9. Neither fit exactly what I was looking for so I got rid of them and use a KelTec P11 9mm for pocket carry and an XDs .45 IWB if - IF - I dont have my Kimber pro CDP Commander sized 1911 on. I am confident in all of them.

FWIW a few guys have asked me dont I worry about fumbling for a non existant safety or worse, not disengaging the 1911 safety. No I dont. It is automatic to swipe the safey down/off and what I find is I make that same motion with the others...its just not there.

That is also why I dont carry my first 9mm...an S&W 669 that has an up swing for safety off. I have fumbled it on the practice line and lost all confidence in it. I probably should just sell that one.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Springfield just came out with a 5" barrel XD mod. 2, it looks pretty sweet.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Springfield just came out with a 5" barrel XD mod. 2, it looks pretty sweet.
    my xd 40 tactical has a 5 inch barrel .I bought it used I have no idea how old it is or isn't lol .

Boolit Master
    I have the Springfield XD 9mm, and the S&W M&P .40
    I like the M&P best .
    I have shot most of the Glocks, as my son is a Glock fan.
    I like the Gen 4 Glocks.

I have not shot the H&K

Yall reminded me... I have some .40 ammo Im not going to use. Need to sell it I guess