Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: tight bores in cva inlines

Perm-Banned

tight bores in cva inlines

anybody else notice their cva inlines have a tight bore. my optima pistol has a .448 top of the lands bore diam. i like the way it is made but had to adapt a different method to load it. the mmp sabot that held a .451 bullet were way to tight to go down. i resized to .448 and still too tight. so i took a mmp sabot for a .458 bullet and knarreled the .451 bullet to .455 and it went down just perfect for ease of loading and shooting and gripping the lands. its my first inline and its easy now to shoot. only slightly sighted in to day and that 9 power scope made it easy to use the gun. i have a homemade shoulder stock on it and a dead mule under the barrel. i noticed someone else said they got good groups with a 250 grain bullet in a sabot in a cva so thats what i tried. a copper coated pistol bullet with 120 grains of 209 powder. i thought about selling the gun but now i am going to keep it for hunting as easy to carry and shoots perfect once i figured it out. it may be my barrel is the only tight one out their but thats ok, its solved now.

Have a cva wolf. It only gets half the shots between cleaning as the t/c omegas. 6-8 for the wolf and 20-25 in the omegas.
    Haven't slugged the wolf yet.

I would try heavy .430 ish boolits in sabots. Like 240-300gr.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Banned
    clean your bore out unless you are shooting blackhorn209.

Look into the harvester crush rib sabot, these are normally to go to sabot for .451 bullets.

120gr of bh209 is a **** load. Drop it down 100gr and give it a go with those harvester sabots.

Perm-Banned
    the bore is 100 percent clean, is a true .448, but perfect. just the way it came from the factory. dont mind, got it figured out now. just wondering if they all were this way or just now and then.

Banned
    Optima pistol is a 50cal so Im not exactly sure how you are getting a .448" measurement. Its best to use a lead conical like the horndy great plains, pop that into the bore and push it back out and measure the markings on the largest lead band of the bullet. Optimas normally run .501-.502

I have looked at a few of those Bergara barrels, and they look like they were reamed to the right diameter then when the rifling button was run through it pushed up a burr on the edge of the lands. Either the button has the wrong geometry or their lube is failing. Either way, you end up with a bore a bit tighter than it should be. I have a Mirouku '63 rifled musket that had the same issue. I ended up lapping it until it was right, shoots way better now and doesn't collect fouling as bad. I am glad to hear you figured out how to get your rifle to shoot, no need to mess with success!

-Nobade

Perm-Banned
    my head wasnt on right, .498 diam. i dont know why i said .448. the bullet i resized to for the sabot was resized to .448. that still was too tight. again i really like the design of the gun and it is stainless steel. and it is great to shoot with a .455 bullet in a orange mmp sabot. i have found out this, when they button a barrel they come out different alot. they being most that button barrels. real high end one may not but cut barrels come out as you order them. it doesnt mean anything as far as accracy but one has to adjust a bullet to the bore a lot on buttoned barrels. thats why i use the oregon rifle barrel company to make barrels for me. they are just what you ordered.

Yep, it really depends on the skill of whoever is making them. Shilen, Douglas, and Pac Nor are all button rifled and usually very good. A lot of the other barrel makers are not "all that" with buttoned barrels.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Roger, I need to send you a few crush rib sabots and 260 grain slugs, what I shot the mule deer with.