Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on how to make a powder trickler?

Well, this thread got me to thinking about a project I started playing with awhile back. So after lunch I made a very simple trickler made from UHMW, .25" stainless tubing and a bit of aluminum.

I threaded the bottom of the "trickler housing" and it will be mounted to a base plate.

The base plate will also be large enough to mount the motor, have room for the scale.

Also an RCBS measure to throw the main charge and mounts for at least one, likely two photo electric switches like this one. To control the trickler.

I LOVE it! Makes me want to write up the gcode for turning or 3D printing the parts and sharing it all as open source

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    I LOVE it! Makes me want to write up the gcode for turning or 3D printing the parts and sharing it all as open source
    Once you do I want one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I bought the RCBS trickler (assumed it was well-made because I've had good luck with everything else from them) and couldn't stand it; way too light. Instead of gambling on another store-bought model I made my own.
    I had the same problems. Got tired of hanging onto my old RCBS aluminum powder trickle with both hands to keep it from rocking back and forth, and sliding around on the top of my bench while I was turning the knob.

I'm not the first person with this complaint it seems, or to apply this fix.

I filled the bottom of my RCBS powder trickle up with molten lead alloy,
    (I removed the plastic pieces first of course) giving it some much needed ballast.

In addition to the lead, I added a small piece of old mouse pad to serve as a non skid bottom.

With both the lead weight on the bottom and the non skid base, the trickle hardly moves at all while it's being used. It can easily be operated single handed now without sliding around, and is much less likely to get knocked over by accident.

This made my older style RCBS powder trickle much more user friendly.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master
    A while ago, Midway had a battery powered trickler.
    It had a button on the top that you pressed and the tube would turn. Let go and the tube stopped.
    It worked great as long as you had good hand/eye coordination.
    I think Lyman made one at one time.

Test run today.

Boolit Grand Master

I have always used an empty rifle case, doesn't seem to matter which one but I have an old Berdan primed 30-06 that got drafted for trickler duty. Half fill with powder , just roll it between thumb and forefinger to trickle in the powder. Cheap and easy.
    Gary

jmorris... That is outstanding! Your 10-10 has a nice shape to work with for the switch. Would you mind sharing the model # of the proximity switch that you are using?

I ordered a few more of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-36V-E3S...4AAOSwT5tWFkBV

A better switch for the job than the proximity sensor I used. I just couldn't find the one I had the first time I was toying with the idea.

Boolit Master
    jmorris, will this switch run a small powder trickler motor directly or will it have to go through a relay?

I am using a relay, needed it to switch the output and was not sure if I was going to need to change the input to the motor to adjust speed.

I'll be honest, I have been reloading for 30 years and never used a trickler before I made the one above Sunday, so I don't know the answer to your question.

Do you have the specifications for the motor on your trickler? If you do I could give you an answer.

Boolit Master
    Motor i am looking at is a small 40mA china dc6-12v 25-50 rpm gearmotor with 50 rpm no load.

Ideas on how to make a powder trickler?

My friend made me this one, we added brass bottom to add weight and got also perfect height for scale beam
    Last edited by Gamsek; 01-13-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I have the Frankford Arsenal one and it works great, is heavy-based. I have a lathe but I can't imagine why I would (other than just to do it) spend the time to machine one when this one works great for under $20?

Boolit Master
    Beacuse the satisfaction using something you made is truly priceless.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    While both look nice, really like the brass one, most of the machine work done on these wouldn't have much effect on how they work.

Absolutely beautiful work. When your a professional and have the right equipment nothing is too hard to make. These belong in a trophy case.

Banned
    I ordered a few more of these.http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-36V-E3S...4AAOSwT5tWFkBVA better switch for the job than the proximity sensor I used. I just couldn't find the one I had the first time I was toying with the idea.
    Can you share the wiring diagram of this switch?

Banned
    I added lead and a sheet metal screw to mine in 1984 and it helped considerably in making it not move. I'll try the anti skid on the bottom.

Can you share the wiring diagram of this switch?
    It just 3 wires -/+ and an output wire. When it makes it here I'll take a photo of it.

Banned
    It just 3 wires -/+ and an output wire. When it makes it here I'll take a photo of it.
    I ordered one the other day so I ought to have it in a month or so. Slow boat from China.

Amazing the response this thread has gotten. I started a thread several years ago and was met with criticism when I tried to gauge interest in an automatic shut off trickler.

I guess the time is right now or the thread starter is better received.

I had used the Honeywell HOA6299-002 and HOA6299-003 through beam infrared sensor and had problems with mounting them cost efficiently. Your sensor is certainly cheaper and well adapted to mounting on any scale.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-22-2016 at 08:21 AM.