Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screwed by Taurus

Boolit Master
    Can anyone suggest a reputable pistolsmith that can work on a Taurus. In my rural area all the shops just say send it back to Taurus. I don't mind paying for the repair , but would like to get it fixed. I live in sort of the sticks ,so I will ship it. I understand it will probably cost more than it's worth ,but not to me. Please point me in the right direction I am in Virginia. Thanks

Banned
    toallmy - don't know if you've contacted them yet but BC Gunworks is close to you.
    http://baysidecustomgunworks.com/

I've taken the step of averting a Taurus repair - I won't buy one in the first place.

Boolit Master

I have around 6 different Taurus models that I can remember off the top of my head -- some semi-autos and some revolvers. I've never had a problem with any of them. Some I got new, some were used -- no problem with any of them. I guess any manufacturer can have good days and bad days. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I also own Sigs, Colts, Kimbers, S&Ws, Glocks, RIAs, and others. I've had good luck with all of them. Maybe I just do not abuse my firearms like some people do?
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 01-11-2016 at 02:14 PM.

In my experience buying a Taurus and expecting a nice gun is like going to McDonald's & expecting a top notch t-bone. Ain't gunna happen!
    Even if you get one that works someday somewhere it will fail you due to low quality parts & poor fittment.

I owned several of them. The only one I've kept is an M85 in ss with a ported bbl. This is one of their most popular guns. It has a design flaw that allows you to lock the action by manipulation of the trigger & hammer. I've had a good local gunsmith look it over. That's how it's designed was his conclusion.

Don't feel to bad getting duped in to one. Colt is no better for 2 or 3 times the money. Won't buy a new one from them either. Its not worth it.

If you want a steak make sure that's what your getting BEFORE you buy it. If your happy with Mcdonald then by all means....enjoy!
    Last edited by freebullet; 01-11-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I thank you petrol & powder , will try them.

We have a Rossi 352, the gun has functioned perfectly for years. Rossi is part of the Taurus company.

I have looked at several Taurus, and checked them for function, just have not bought one yet. I am more interested in the Rossi six shot 3 inch snub if it ever appears again. I see plenty of the two inch versions.

One thing to keep in mind is that we will always hear more complaints that raves about guns. Most people who are satisfied just do not make noise about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've written before about my adventure with Taurus. I own three.....a 441 .44 Special, a model 66 .357 magnum, and a .454 Raging Bull. Not long after I bought the .454, I began to have a problem with the cylinder flying open in recoil. I contacted Taurus, they said send it in, but no mention of paying the shipping. It cost me $55 as I recall (this has been about 15 years ago). After about 3 months, I began nagging them......where's my gun? I finally got it back, nearly 5 months later.

The sad part is that I really like these guns, the RB is extremely accurate, as are the other two. However, I would never send one back to Taurus for repair. If it can't be repaired locally, it can't be repaired.

I also own a Hipoint .40 pistol......much hated and maligned by most, but from what I've read, they have a "no questions asked" warranty policy.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

On 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
    Nomadnailer posted one time about a concern
    No other updates
    Anyone got data on how this went down?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    On 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
    Nomadnailer posted one time about a concern
    No other updates
    Anyone got data on how this went down?

Mike
    Last I heard Taurus had not returned his revolver and he is still nowhere with them.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric-san View Post
    I'm curious to know how this was/ will be resolved as I have a Taurus PT-92 with a frame crack...makes me wonder what to expect...
    I think if it's still currently made, or not too long ago discontinued AND it's a non critical part (frame, cylinder, slide) AND you don't mind waiting several months you should get your firearm back.

All of the positive responses have been on relatively minor problems. Friends have sent items back for repair with variable results.

Banned

I wouldn't buy a pack of bubble gum from tarrus.

Boolit Master
    It's a no on reparing a Taurus at Bayside custom gun works . Can anyone recommend a pistolsmith that can and will work on a Taurus . I am in Virginia, but don't mind shipping.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    It's a no on reparing a Taurus at Bayside custom gun works . Can anyone recommend a pistolsmith that can and will work on a Taurus . I am in Virginia, but don't mind shipping.
    Just finding a gunsmith who will do something more than just bolt parts onto ARs is getting difficult.

Boolit Master
    When I asked my local gunsmith if he would work on my Taurus that I used to have, and while Taurus was giving me the runaround on if they'd fix it, I was told that he could fix it, but the problem was that it would cost me, the repair wouldn't last, and then I would still have a lousy gun and possibly a grudge against a friend, so between those and him just refusing "to polish a turd", he wouldn't touch that old revolver of mine. He also said he didn't know anyone else who would work on it cause he had spoken to several other gunsmiths that had fixed Taurus guns, just to have to fix them over and over again, and finally getting accused of intentionally messing the guns up and being given the option of either buying the broken gun from the customer or getting sued, so that reputation is also out there for the Taurus handguns. According to him, the only quality gun Taurus makes is the 1892 levergun, and he advised inspecting even those carefully, just in case. But he said at least with those, there are enough parts available and they are close enough to a real Winchester that the available parts either fit, or can be made to fit, and you will have a good rifle.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

If the Taurus experience doesn't sound fun you may wanna stay away from mossberg, kel tec, taurus, & hi point Ime. Unless it's a truck gun or something where it won't be shot often it probably won't last imo.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I thought the old Taurus was a S/W knock off , are some of the parts the same . I am going to go dig the old Taurus out of closet and see what model it is .

Boolit Bub
    I've had to deal with CS from Ruger, HiPoint, Mossberg, Remington, Lee, Excalibur, and Traditions. All companies went out of their way to solve the issue. Even when the problem was my own fault (which I admitted to freely). Had to deal with CS with Savage, RCBS, PSE, CVA, and Taurus/Rossi. CS was rude and or problem was never corrected. And with these companies the issue was not my fault. Other than RCBS I don't purchase products from these companies anymore. My own Taurus headache was real nightmare. NEVER again, EVER!
    Last edited by JNG3; 01-13-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: can't spell fer nuttin'

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNG3 View Post
    I've had to deal with CS from Ruger, HiPoint, Mossberg, Remington, Lee, Excalibur, and Traditions. All companies went out of their way to solve the issue. Even when the problem was my own fault (which I admitted to freely). Had to deal with CS with Savage, RCBS, PSE, CVA, and Taurus/Rossi. CS was rude and or problem was never corrected. And with these companies the issue was not my fault. Other than RCBS I don't purchase products from these companies anymore. My own Taurus headache was real nightmare. NEVER again, EVER!
    Strange, I called RCBS last week for a replacement part, and it's on the way, no charge.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    My call to RCBS had nothing to do with a warranty issue. I called asking for advice on how best to correct some difficulties I was having concerning one of their die sets. CS rep could of cared less. I eventually figured it out on my own, but not after ruining many pieces of brass. I still buy stuff from them (generally top notch stuff!) but regard their CS as worthless.